Mysteries

loidwalden

Sounds like the exact same argument most voters are having with themselves these days...evil of two lessors, or the lesser of two evils, not sure which is which.

At any rate, it's a pretty sad state of affairs.

Not even sure if Getz has the cojones to put up with this constant (anticipated) negativity over the next 2-3 seasons.

No way they're paying him anywhere close to $1 million per year, although running interference for Reinsdorf and son might be worth approximately half that.

I guess if Brooks Boyer can proudly take his money, TLR, Grifol, so can Getzie.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Did Rick Hahn have one of the worst offseasons in baseball?  I could swear that was Chris Getz.  Rick Hahn contributed to this mess and was already fired for it.  It’s all on Getz now.

I’ll bite, what made Getz offseason so horrible?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Plenty of GMs inherit messes and manage to not have historically awful seasons. There was plenty of roster churning for Getz to get blame for this.

Pretty no-brainer of an answer.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

4 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Take a look at all of his acquisitions from the offseason, how they performed, and where they are now.  He DFAed about half of them because they were so bad.  He wasted a total of $25 million dollars on garbage.  He had two good acquisitions, Fedde and DeJong and he ended up trading Fedde for a guy that can’t hit or play defense.  Trading Mena for a fourth outfielder in Fletcher over Jake McCarthy was aLao another terrible move.

Getz’s terrible offseason and moves have no doubt led to this record setting mess.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Yeah I’d happily take Hahn back over Getz any day. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he’s a good GM. There were for sure A LOT of bad moves, but there were some good ones as well. Going into 2020 this team was set up with a good amount of young talent that SHOULD have worked out. Organizational failure to develop players is probably the #1 issue for this team’s demise. 

Moncada, Robert, Vaughn, TA, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Gio (probably missing some)…I don’t think anyone saw all of those players failing in some way or another. And I don’t know how that was the GM’s fault. 

But again, there were definitely bad moves and Hahn deserved to be fired…but he for sure had the team looking like it was going in a very good direction at 1 point. Given Getz’s track record of identifying talent (and his poor job of directing the minors) to acquire so far I have pretty much 0 faith in his ability to ever get us close to that point.