Sox trying to fix Vargas

southsider2k5

Dude only has 530 mlb plate appearances, many of which were fairly spread out. He has indeed looked like s%*# but his history says he has exceptional command of the strike zone, so I’m going to wait and see what he looks after another 530+ PA. It really only matters how he produces in years two through five of the sox future control anyway. Plenty of average or better mlb regulars with his kind of career arc at this point

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

Dude only has 530 mlb plate appearances, many of which were fairly spread out. He has indeed looked like s%*# but his history says he has exceptional command of the strike zone, so I’m going to wait and see what he looks after another 530+ PA. It really only matters how he produces in years two through five of the sox future control anyway. Plenty of average or better mlb regulars with his kind of career arc at this point

I mean the Sox really don't have a choice.  Good, bad, or indifferent, they are married to Vargas for the near future.  We will see if he fails or not, but isn't crazy to note his performance to this date, as well as the Sox don't seem to be able to fix hitters very well in recent history as a part of having a lot of doubt here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 46DidIt said:

Sure. But can you name a single hitter the Sox have "fixed"?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 46DidIt said:

He could improve but he needs to totally rework his swing and find a way to hit the ball hard.  His statcast data is horrendous and pitchers are challenging him constantly with fastballs and he can't do anything with them.  Not good signs. Especially for a guy who profiles as a bad defender.

Edited by whitesoxfan99
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm all for trying to fix once top prospects but man, you don't target that kind of guy in the trade of your best asset traded at the deadline.

Unless he was the highest ceiling available. The Cardinals wouldn't even let Jordan Walker go, who looks pitiful at the plate, right now. 

You can target all you want. Not one top 100 prospect was traded, this deadline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean the Sox really don't have a choice.  Good, bad, or indifferent, they are married to Vargas for the near future.  We will see if he fails or not, but isn't crazy to note his performance to this date, as well as the Sox don't seem to be able to fix hitters very well in recent history as a part of having a lot of doubt here.

Upgrading organizational hitting is on the shopping list this off-season, so maybe a guy like Vargas was a focus for working with what could be the next Charlie Lau, or Walt Hriniak, if that even exists, anymore. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Upgrading organizational hitting is on the shopping list this off-season, so maybe a guy like Vargas was a focus for working with what could be the next Charlie Lau, or Walt Hriniak, if that even exists, anymore. 

I can't wait for the next thing we have to wait for!

goalposts.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't wait for the next thing we have to wait for!

goalposts.jpg

Eric Fedde on the Cardinals sure doesn't look like Erick Fedde on the White Sox. They sure upgraded their organizational pitching in one off-season. 

22 hours ago, Quin said:

As a prospect fan, I am not at all jazzed about Vargas or any other floundering prospect with MLB struggles.

The ceiling is what, Kelenic? Aim higher.

Kelenic has a much higher ceiling then Vargas. Mainly because he can actually play a premium position CF. Vargas hasn't really shown he can play anywhere.

And I wouldn't have accepted a trade centered around Kelenic either. 

Edited by wrathofhahn

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Upgrading everything should be on the shopping list this off season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Eric Fedde on the Cardinals sure doesn't look like Erick Fedde on the White Sox. They sure upgraded their organizational pitching in one off-season. 

Note on Fedde:

First inning pitched with Cardinals: 5 ER

Innings 2-33 since that first inning: 12 ER

Overall ERA of 4.64 since being traded and a 3.38 ERA after the flukey first inning against the Cubs where they put up a 5 spot in his first start.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Unless he was the highest ceiling available. The Cardinals wouldn't even let Jordan Walker go, who looks pitiful at the plate, right now. 

You can target all you want. Not one top 100 prospect was traded, this deadline.

It looks like the Marlins did better with their Trevor Rogers trade in getting Norby back.  I realize Rogers had two years left instead of one but he was a pretty mediocre starter and the Sox also included Kopech with Fedde.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It looks like the Marlins did better with their Trevor Rogers trade in getting Norby back.  I realize Rogers had two years left instead of one but he was a pretty mediocre starter and the Sox also included Kopech with Fedde.

And was also optioned to the minors.

3 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Kelenic has a much higher ceiling then Vargas. Mainly because he can actually play a premium position CF. Vargas hasn't really shown he can play anywhere.

And I wouldn't have accepted a trade centered around Kelenic either. 

Kelenic can certainly play there...but his defensive metrics have always suggested it's a stretch to call him an everyday CFer.

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Well, they do say that 3 weeks in Miami is like a year in any other place, so I guess that 57 plate appearances is like 600.