Sox trying to fix Vargas

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

I’m a fan of Vargas because he sees a ton of pitches. They need more guys like that. 

That only works if he can also hit as well.  Otherwise he’s a taller Eddie Gaedel.

.151 AVG and .509 OPS

Vargas is awful.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That only works if he can also hit as well.  Otherwise he’s a taller Eddie Gaedel.

.151 AVG and .509 OPS

Vargas is awful.

.104 average with the Sox. Didn’t have a multi-hit game with them.   A complete and total scouting failure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

.104 average with the Sox. Didn’t have a multi-hit game with them.   A complete and total scouting failure.

Yep.  LA was not going to waste a roster spot on him, so let's give him to the White Sox.  So, when does Getz pull the plug on him?  Are they gonna play him for 2-3 months of next season?  That'll be fun to watch.  A left side infield of Vargus and Amaya?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Yep.  LA was not going to waste a roster spot on him, so let's give him to the White Sox.  So, when does Getz pull the plug on him?  Are they gonna play him for 2-3 months of next season?  That'll be fun to watch.  A left side infield of Vargus and Amaya?

Try 2-3 years.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Try 2-3 years.

If he hits .150 and is out of options, he will get DFA after 3 months. If he can hit .220, maybe they stick with him a few years. Such an unbelievably bad trade. Jeral Perez better be a 7-time all star.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2024 at 7:20 AM, Timmy U said:

If he hits .150 and is out of options, he will get DFA after 3 months. If he can hit .220, maybe they stick with him a few years. Such an unbelievably bad trade. Jeral Perez better be a 7-time all star.

Yordan Alvarez isn’t even a 7 time All Star and he’s the best young hitter the Dodgers traded away…

I admittedly haven’t watched a lot of Sox baseball since the deadline, but two things stand out to me regarding Vargas.  First, he is a highly disciplined hitter who isn’t going to chase much and will draw lots of walks.  And that is valuable given the makeup of the rest of the team.  Unfortunately, he also looks like a low quality hitter when he does make contact.  Making I’m missing something, but I haven’t seen him square up all that much and when he does it feels like his power is lacking for any sort of corner-type position.  For a dude who was once heralded for having a 65 grade hit tool and 50 grade power, I certainly expected to see more out of him than I have so far.

33 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

You don’t really go in for comedic hyperbole, do you?

https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/player/218260/
Fine, even though Sweeney has been traded twice…at least the Tigers now have a legit SS who can hit around 650 and hold his own.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/players/19832-thayron-liranzo/

And #12 LAD prospect, #88 MiLB.

1.031 ops at West Michigan, MW League. 

For Flaherty, who wasn’t even as good as Fedde but had the established track record.

Tigers just did a much better scouting job.

Edited by caulfield12

The pro Vargas comments even outdo paid shills.  The organization is now worse from that trade.  Watching him play is worse than what you see in the Cactus League.

I don't know what it is but GMs seem to have this bad habit of doing something at the trade deadline just to do something.  Of course there are your usual do nothing suspects.

I just see this organization just getting worse.  Schultz will be the next Crochet for kicking the can down the road. 

Does this trade deadline surpass the Burger trade?  Maybe so.  A real GM would've lost their job.

An expansion could not have done worse.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

He had over a 1.000 OPS in 190 PA in AAA and 108 OPs+ with Dodgers in 80 PA this year. He can’t really be this bad. I mean he did look like complete dogshit, but just looking at his past production pre-Sox it doesn’t make sense

Yeah I'm not completely writing him off yet. If he is this bad halfway through next year then yeah....that's probably it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

He had over a 1.000 OPS in 190 PA in AAA and 108 OPs+ with Dodgers in 80 PA this year. He can’t really be this bad. I mean he did look like complete dogshit, but just looking at his past production pre-Sox it doesn’t make sense

Perhaps he wasn’t that bad, but consider that he may always be this bad with the Sox because of the Sox.

1 hour ago, 46DidIt said:

He hit .201 overall with the Dodgers. In almost 500 plate appearances now, he's hitting .175. I think he is better than what he hit after he was traded, but no where near the middle of the order bat Getz was projecting.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He hit .201 overall with the Dodgers. In almost 500 plate appearances now, he's hitting .175. I think he is better than what he hit after he was traded, but no where near the middle of the order bat Getz was projecting.

Yet people want to hold on to minor league numbers as if they are legit.  No shortage of "superstar ' minor league players.  If the Dodgers couldn't fix him the chances of the Sox fixing him.........are........

Let's not over look catching a baseball doesn't seem to be his strength either.  I feel like they have another Josh Fields and ignore he can't play baseball

I get it if he came from an organization with poor development but so far the Sox seem to stand out in that.