Sox trying to fix Vargas

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

These threads always remind me of a pattern I pointed out years ago. When a team is bad, there are two types of fans. One set attacks and ridicules the team. The other set attacks and ridicules the other type of fans. They’re both relieving the stress of rooting for a loser, but only one picks the right thing to be mad at.

image.png

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

What did Getz do? He assembled the worst roster in the history of the MLB, while not trying to be bad. I'm not sure how this is overlooked.

This.  It’s literally about to hit the metric as the worst team ever assembled in MLB history. While no one expected them to actually compete…I guarantee Getz, Pedro, and Jerry were convinced they had at least a 60 win team.  They’re so incompetent and the team is so bad that they are affecting the competitive balance of the playoffs.  Yes, Getz stepped into a bad situation with what was left by KW/Hahn, yes there are significant spending constraints because of ownership.  ITS THE WORST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE SPORT.

• Thanks 2

Has anyone mentioned yet that one of the reasons why Vargas might be struggling even more, and one reason why he might be extra concerned, is that he went from an organization where he asks for help and gets "here's our 400 page textbook on this pitcher, would you like to spend 3 hours in our virtual reality simulator seeing his pitches" as a reply, to an organization where he asks for help and gets "We think this guy might throw a fastball you should be ready for that" as a reply?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

image.png

That’s the other thing about the eternal optimist posters. They will argue all day for months/years about a player (or manager, etc.). You can throw all the stats, player history, and personal observations at them. They will argue that it’s too early, you gotta give it time, the coaches/management know what they’re doing, etc.

And when the player/manager is designated for assignment or cut or fired, they still won’t admit to being wrong. It’s always, “oh, so sue me for wanting a guy to do well and not just shitting on everything the organization does.”

Anyone who’s been here for an extended amount of time has seen it a thousand times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

That’s the other thing about the eternal optimist posters. They will argue all day for months/years about a player (or manager, etc.). You can throw all the stats, player history, and personal observations at them. They will argue that it’s too early, you gotta give it time, the coaches/management know what they’re doing, etc.

And when the player/manager is designated for assignment or cut or fired, they still won’t admit to being wrong. It’s always, “oh, so sue me for wanting a guy to do well and not just shitting on everything the organization does.”

Anyone who’s been here for an extended amount of time has seen it a thousand times.

Perfect 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

And I've seen people who just scream about every single move, and attack anyone that doesn't match their rage because they're miserable - thousands of times across multiple platforms. And when those players we've been waiting on figure it out, they become "their guys", like the complainers scouted, developed and pay them. It's like we're all working off of templates. 

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

This.  It’s literally about to hit the metric as the worst team ever assembled in MLB history. While no one expected them to actually compete…I guarantee Getz, Pedro, and Jerry were convinced they had at least a 60 win team.  They’re so incompetent and the team is so bad that they are affecting the competitive balance of the playoffs.  Yes, Getz stepped into a bad situation with what was left by KW/Hahn, yes there are significant spending constraints because of ownership.  ITS THE WORST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE SPORT.

When you set the bar at 100 wins and miss with 85 - 90 that's a successful season. It's a losers mentality to say "we'll prob be able to win 60 games" and miss with 40. To that end, changing the culture certainly has not happened under Getz. He's failed in almost every way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Has anyone mentioned yet that one of the reasons why Vargas might be struggling even more, and one reason why he might be extra concerned, is that he went from an organization where he asks for help and gets "here's our 400 page textbook on this pitcher, would you like to spend 3 hours in our virtual reality simulator seeing his pitches" as a reply, to an organization where he asks for help and gets "We think this guy might throw a fastball you should be ready for that" as a reply?

I posted about this before, but going through the ‘62 Mets season made Richie Ashburn retire despite being perfectly healthy coming off a season in which he hit. 306 with a .424 OBP and only 425 hits away from 3000 at age 35. At that point, he was no HOF shoo in but 3000 would have made him one.

If that can have that kind of effect on a seasoned vet, not hard to imagine that going into this clubhouse, when Vargas was probably on some sort of cloud 9 as a young Dodger, probably did f*** his head up. Getting your feet swept out from under you like that could literally lead to a depression spell. Conversely, it was probably like getting called up to the bigs for the first time for Kopech. Hopefully Vargas can regroup in the offseason

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And I've seen people who just scream about every single move, and attack anyone that doesn't match their rage because they're miserable - thousands of times across multiple platforms. And when those players we've been waiting on figure it out, they become "their guys", like the complainers scouted, developed and pay them. It's like we're all working off of templates. 

Let us do us and you do you 🤷‍♂️

You don't have to defend a 32-win team (in September!!!) but here you are.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You know you are just telling on yourself at this point.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

I think its almost a certainty that Getz believed he put together a roster much better than the 2023 roster. The whole premise to hiring Getz was built on the fact that JR couldn't waste time with a rebuild and he owed it to the fans to right this ship immediately.

Not once did they ever say this was a rebuild. It wasn't until the season went off the rails almost immediately that Getz started talking about things "taking time".

I guarantee you they went into this season expecting way more than 60 wins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

I think its almost a certainty that Getz believed he put together a roster much better than the 2023 roster. The whole premise to hiring Getz was built on the fact that JR couldn't waste time with a rebuild and he owed it to the fans to right this ship immediately.

Not once did they ever say this was a rebuild. It wasn't until the season went off the rails almost immediately that Getz started talking about things "taking time".

Be careful.  Another poster may yell at you about bringing up that JR press conference again…

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

To be fair, this franchise has been mediocre to bad far more often than it has been good. And this season is clearly terrible. So the pessimistic/realist viewpoint has been, in my opinion, the correct take much more often.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

To be fair, this franchise has been mediocre to bad far more often than it has been good. And this season is clearly terrible. So the pessimistic/realist viewpoint has been, in my opinion, the correct take much more often.

Yeah, I'd say the pessimistic view is the realist view and any optimism from anyone is just blind faith ha

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Let us do us and you do you 🤷‍♂️

You don't have to defend a 32-win team (in September!!!) but here you are.

Dudes gotta have yoked forearms.  Just farmer carries all day long with two 5 gallon buckets of water.  Bet his delts are insane too.  🤣

Edited by Rusty
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

And realistically, when you are having literally the worst season in the 124 year HISTORY of modern major league baseball, are you supposed to be happy and making excuses for the franchise?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

And realistically, when you are having literally the worst season in the 124 year HISTORY of modern major league baseball, are you supposed to be happy and making excuses for the franchise?

Now that Marco Paddy and four random scouts are gone, things are gonna turn around.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, T R U said:

Even his mother would have to admit Getz thought he put together a roster significantly better than worst of all time. I’m totally opposite of westeddy on this but if you go to the preseason prediction thread, we both picked the same record. We are going to be off by 30 games. I call it incompetence, he calls it bad luck.

Edited by Dick Allen

On 9/3/2024 at 1:07 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm all for trying to fix once top prospects but man, you don't target that kind of guy in the trade of your best asset traded at the deadline.

Basically the Sox got Vargas and the 2 minor leaguers and the money they saved on Fedde's , Pham's and Kopech's contracts . They got rid of $10M from Fedde's $15M . Kopech's salary was $3M maybe they paid him a little more than $1M and saved $2M this year perhaps and what he might have got in 2025 He'll likely make more with the Dodgers than he would have  with the Sox since he's been great with them.

Sox signed Pham for $3M but his base salary was a litte less than $468K. Not sure how much  Cards took on.

We all know the trade sucked but with the Sox you have to consider what they invested in the players and how much they saved by trading them. With JR that's equally or more important than the players acquired. When you do the owner's bidding you do the best you can under the circumstances and keep your job.  3 players and somewhere around $15M saved.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Basically the Sox got Vargas and the 2 minor leaguers and the money they saved on Fedde's , Pham's and Kopech's contracts . They got rid of $10M from Fedde's $15M . Kopech's salary was $3M maybe they paid him a little more than $1M and saved $2M this year perhaps and what he might have got in 2025 He'll likely make more with the Dodgers than he would have  with the Sox since he's been great with them.

Sox signed Pham for $3M but his base salary was a litte less than $468K. Not sure how much  Cards took on.

We all know the trade sucked but with the Sox you have to consider what they invested in the players and how much they saved by trading them. With JR that's equally or more important than the players acquired. When you do the owner's bidding you do the best you can under the circumstances and keep your job.  3 players and somewhere around $15M saved.

But that money means nothing to Sox fans or the team actually improving.  Fedde’s salary wasn’t bad money, and now the Dodgers are proving that Kopech’s salary isn’t either.

• Like 2