Sept 3 game thread Sox vs O's, Sox playing for Dirty Dozen 5:35 first pitch

45 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I was pretty good friends with Jimmy back in the 80s as we played quite a bit of tennis together at the Wheaton Sport Center, we talked a lot of White Sox baseball, he hated TLR and everytime they lost a game he would call me up and tell how me how LaRussa screwed up the game. 
It all came to a head when LaRussa, Leyland and one of the other coaches confronted Jimmy at the the radio studio where Jimmy had the post game show, how brave was that, 3 against 1.

I bet LaRussa had plenty of his liquid courage that night too.  🥃 🍸 

• Like 1

Just showed my better half that video of Vargas bowling over the LF to let 3 runs score and I told her who Vargas is....her reaction...."my god, he must be trying to destroy this fan base "

Not sure if she meant Getz or Reinsdorf, but I can't argue either way.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Just showed my better half that video of Vargas bowling over the LF to let 3 runs score and I told her who Vargas is....her reaction...."my god, he must be trying to destroy this fan base "

Most runs he’s created on the Sox

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, wegner said:

100% on Beni there.

That's veteran leadership there.

41 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Here you go from my interview with Jimmy:

ML: Sox ownership decided to go with the SportsVision experiment in 1982 and you were removed from the play by play booth while Harry left to go to the Cubs. You wound up doing the pre and post-game shows. The Sox started out like gang-busters but by July were a .500 club, then one night Tony LaRussa apparently had it with some of your comments and drove down to the studios after a game and confronted you. I have never heard of such a thing happening before or since at least until the Steve Stone / Cubs controversy. What happened that night?  

JP: “I had said during a show that whoever was coaching the outfielders wasn’t doing a very good job. They were out of position; they were throwing to the wrong base. It was a bad situation. So one night about 11 or 11:30 at night, LaRussa, Charlie Lau and Jimmy Leyland drive down to the studios. They told the guard they had an appointment to see me and he let them in. I’m in the studio and they march in. LaRussa’s yells, “Are you trying to get Leyland fired?” I didn’t know who was coaching the outfielders so I said “no, but whoever he is he’s doing a lousy job.” They started to act tough when one of our producers walked in, he was a real big guy, about 6-4 and when they saw him they left. I tore Tony’s ass from then on. LaRussa acts real tough but he isn’t and Leyland is nothing but a little phony.” 

“All I can say is that Tony’s real lucky he’s had great players in Oakland and in St. Louis because he is a terrible manager.” 

They picked on a guy who had issues with mental illness. 

Piersal seemed to have issues with any team when it came to OF play,

I remember one broadcast when he forgot the mute button.

3 minutes ago, JoeC said:

100% on Beni there.

That's veteran leadership there.

I see your point....I'll show it to her again and inform her the LF is our largest contract ever.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I see your point....I'll show it to her again and inform her the LF is our largest contract ever.

That, and it's his responsibility to call off the infielder.

Gold Glover my ass.