First Move

Johno

When this horrific season finally ends, i believe the first move this organization needs to do is hire a manager that is respected by everyone in MLB.  I would say Terry Franconia is that guy.   For those who say fire Getz and the entire front office, i think we all realize that’s not going to happen, so i’m going to pivot to the manager.   This team has basically become the laughing stock of ALL of sports at this time, that’s why bringing in a manager that is respected by all must take place for us to have any chance of landing any sort of free agent talent in the offseason.

No respected manager will willingly want to manage this dumpster fire of a team. Nor unfortunately, would Jerry pony up for one even if said manager somehow DID want to manage this dumpster fire of a team. 

Edited by Chisoxmb35
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Johno said:

When this horrific season finally ends, i believe the first move this organization needs to do is hire a manager that is respected by everyone in MLB.  I would say Terry Franconia is that guy.   For those who say fire Getz and the entire front office, i think we all realize that’s not going to happen, so i’m going to pivot to the manager.   This team has basically become the laughing stock of ALL of sports at this time, that’s why bringing in a manager that is respected by all must take place for us to have any chance of landing any sort of free agent talent in the offseason.

What makes you think Terry Francona would sign up to be a part of this organization??

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why the hell would Terry Francona want this job?

You might be right, he might want nothing to do with this total train wreck, but just maybe a guy like Franconia feels that this is the ultimate challenge and turning this team into a winner would be extra special.

15 minutes ago, Johno said:

You might be right, he might want nothing to do with this total train wreck, but just maybe a guy like Franconia feels that this is the ultimate challenge and turning this team into a winner would be extra special.

There is a "challenge" and then there is kicking yourself in the balls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is the bottom line

We don't want anyone who would take this job. 

We don't want any manager who would come here 

We don't want any players who would come here. 

If we actually would want them they would rightfully demand a sizeable increase in what they could earn elsewhere. It's the high price of being a troubled franchise. 

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 2

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Here is the bottom line

If we actually would want them they would rightfully demand a sizeable increase in what they could earn elsewhere. It's the high price of being a troubled franchise. 

You missed the last sentence…

“And our miser owner refuses to pay the high price of anything.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 2

15 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Maybe they can bring in the GM that hired him to oversee Getz. 
and if JR won’t do anything, MLB should force it. 

I wish it were that easy. 

Force a team who made back to back playoff appearances a couple years ago to do what?

The Tigers and Angels haven't made the playoffs in 9 years. The Royals and Pirates haven't been in 8 years. So now you are forcing more than a few teams to do something that will move quality players from the better teams to worst teams. I don't believe the players are going to be that excited. The league could have forced Ohtani to not switch teams because the team he was on kept missing the playoff. 

If Jerry was forced to increase payroll how much would have had to outbid the league for a Ohtani level player? Could you imagine him coming here for an extra million? Twenty million? Hundred million? 

The league is doing something, to discourage teams from tanking now instead of the #1 pick we'll be further back. That's really helped light a fire in the organization. 

It would be great, but the solution isn't from the league. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Here is the bottom line

There are 30 managerial jobs. There are far more than 30 qualified managers who would take a job like this. 

Even losing for 2 years and being fired, it’s good money and can be a stepping stone to a better job (the AJ Hinch path). 

There are not more than 30 qualified manager candidates who will tell Jerry Reinsdorf and Domestic Violence Enthusiast Christ Getz that they're doing a great job and nothing needs to change. There are likely zero.

52 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Maybe they can bring in the GM that hired him to oversee Getz. 
and if JR won’t do anything, MLB should force it. 

The Sox are making money MLB won't (and shouldn't) do a damn thing.

Francona would require a minimum of $5 million as a salary, and that's going to be 1/16th of their payroll next year.

ZERO chance.

Has to be a Gabe Kapler type that's dying to get back in the game, in theory...someone with almost nothing left to lose, who's desperate for one last chance to work a miracle.

1 hour ago, Johno said:

Maybe if 2005 never happened but to me he would think f ’em, they made this mess I don’t want my name associated with this crap.

1 hour ago, Johno said:

Unless he magically has control over the purse strings, no amount of pixie dust from Terry Francona is turning this franchise around. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Johno said:

Maybe if this was a movie script, but in the real world why would any decent manager want the taint of mananging a 100 loss team, because that is what the 2025 Sox will be.

A logical person in charge would do one of two things. One, start making significant investments to show the baseball world he is serious about making changes. Two, sell the team to someone who is willing to spend upfront to build a winning and profitable franchise.  We don't have a logical person in charge. He is in some kind of dream world.

• Like 1