First Move

Johno

Francona would cost too much and not be interested. The Sox "plan" is not winning anytime soon. The only "name" manager who would take the job is Ozzie (duck as apples are flung at my head). Who is "Skip?"

Edited by greg775

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

There are 30 managerial jobs. There are far more than 30 qualified managers who would take a job like this. 

Even losing for 2 years and being fired, it’s good money and can be a stepping stone to a better job (the AJ Hinch path). 

There are not more than 30 qualified manager candidates who will tell Jerry Reinsdorf and Domestic Violence Enthusiast Christ Getz that they're doing a great job and nothing needs to change. There are likely zero.

Hope are you defining qualified managers? Qualified as in already achieved some success as a manager? Success as a coach and stepping up? 

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

There are 30 managerial jobs. There are far more than 30 qualified managers who would take a job like this. 

Even losing for 2 years and being fired, it’s good money and can be a stepping stone to a better job (the AJ Hinch path). 

There are not more than 30 qualified manager candidates who will tell Jerry Reinsdorf and Domestic Violence Enthusiast Christ Getz that they're doing a great job and nothing needs to change. There are likely zero.

I hope that was a typo, or is it a comment on what Getz thinks of himself?

26 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

First move, Do the thing that Jerry absolutely does not do!  Then after that, invest in the team!

You mean, "then after that, do the other thing that Jerry doesn't know how to do"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree that Getz is going to be here so it's a moot point to discussing canning him.

1- Jerry has to keep Tony and himself away from White Sox player development

2- Sign at least 2 of the following UFA's: Pete Alonzo, Gleyber Torres, Alex Bregman, and take a look at Harrison Bader if the price is right.

3- Trade Crochet

4- Trade Robert jr .

5- Buyout Moncada's last year, if they can't sign any free agents then keep him at 3rd

6- Over haul International Scouting

7- Hire Sergio Santos as skipper, find the next Charlie Manuel batting coach out there.

8- Getz brings in an ex-GM of his choosing to assist him so not to get pantsed in trades.  No input from Jerry or Tony.

9- Lower ticket prices by 50%

10- MLB enacts an emergency 1 year clause to allow the White to move from the tenth pick in round 1 to the 1st pick of the draft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

2- Sign at least 2 of the following UFA's: Pete Alonzo, Gleyber Torres, Alex Bregman, and take a look at Harrison Bader if the price is right.

Is the point of these moves to only lose 105 games instead of 110?

It’s both funny and sad that all of our “first move” require Jerry to be a present owner who spends just a little bit(not some irrational and desperate thought), and honestly we know he is gonna get up and stiff the bill like he always does 

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I cannot see any top notch manager candidate being willing to walk into a situation where the cede day to day control on the field to this general manager and owner. 

And honestly, this team doesn't need a top notch manager right now. That's who they needed to hire back in 2021.

They need to try to find some promising young guy with potential that can hopefully become a top notch manager. Anyone top notch right now probably isn't interested in watching over a 90-100 loss team for the next two to three years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Falstaff said:

I agree that Getz is going to be here so it's a moot point to discussing canning him.

3- Trade Crochet

4- Trade Robert jr .

5- Buyout Moncada's last year, if they can't sign any free agents then keep him at 3rd

7- Hire Sergio Santos as skipper, find the next Charlie Manuel batting coach out there.

8- Getz brings in an ex-GM of his choosing to assist him so not to get pantsed in trades.  No input from Jerry or Tony.

10- MLB enacts an emergency 1 year clause to allow the White to move from the tenth pick in round 1 to the 1st pick of the draft.

Spot on with number 9 and 10.   50% reduction in ticket prices would help fill the seats.   Yes, MLB needs to step up and help this pitiful organization and give them the first pick in the draft.   Maybe even the first 5 picks😄

12 hours ago, Johno said:

When this horrific season finally ends, i believe the first move this organization needs to do is hire a manager that is respected by everyone in MLB.  I would say Terry Franconia is that guy.   For those who say fire Getz and the entire front office, i think we all realize that’s not going to happen, so i’m going to pivot to the manager.   This team has basically become the laughing stock of ALL of sports at this time, that’s why bringing in a manager that is respected by all must take place for us to have any chance of landing any sort of free agent talent in the offseason.

The White Sox already eliminated him from candidacy since he's not currently in uniform.

Obviously short-sighted.

If Francona wants to return to managing, he'll have options. Even if the White Sox changed their minds, why would we expect the them to be more attractive than other options?

21 minutes ago, Johno said:

Spot on with number 9 and 10.   50% reduction in ticket prices would help fill the seats.   Yes, MLB needs to step up and help this pitiful organization and give them the first pick in the draft.   Maybe even the first 5 picks😄

Not sure that 50% reduction would do much of anything at this point.

Besides - the Sox get their attendance revenue subsidized by the state, so whether they draw 1,000 or 1,000,000, they don’t really care,

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Falstaff said:

3- Trade Crochet

4- Trade Robert jr .

Is there any reason to suspect that the White Sox will be an active player in free agency? Not signing cast-offs, but actual impact type players?

Does a season this awful alter the outlook of the organization? Continue to build via the minor league system, but you can't have the worst major league team in history as a result. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable balance to strike.

• Like 1

50 percent reduction in tickets isn’t gonna help anything if the product on the field is still garbage.  You could pick whatever seat in the entire park you wanted for 2 bucks last week against the Rangers.  Nobody was there 

2 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Is there any reason to suspect that the White Sox will be an active player in free agency? Not signing cast-offs, but actual impact type players?

Does a season this awful alter the outlook of the organization? Continue to build via the minor league system, but you can't have the worst major league team in history as a result. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable balance to strike.

Any player who signs here is in it for the money, or because he can’t get a big league roster spot anywhere else (…which is basically to say, because of the money).

Without any glimmer of hope for a brighter future like in 2018 or 2019, good luck.

6 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Any player who signs here is in it for the money, or because he can’t get a big league roster spot anywhere else (…which is basically to say, because of the money).

Without any glimmer of hope for a brighter future like in 2018 or 2019, good luck.

Yes for the White Sox to sign decent free agents they have to overpay. The same money, why would you walk into this situation. Plus, look at just about every significant White Sox free agent signing. There is an exception or 2 , but signing with the White Sox is a career killer. It’s where your career goes to die.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JoeC said:

My guess is that they will treat this off-season similar to this past one. Look for "value" signings on 1 year type deals and move any that produce at the trade deadline.

Maybe the young pitching develops into a strength and we end the season feeling like the starting rotation will be ready to win in 2026, but unless they pivot to some degree, I really don't see them spending big (ever under current ownership), but next year even moreso.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spiderman said:

This off season?  No way.  And honestly, unless you were getting Juan Soto, who out there is going to be long term enough to matter to the future White Sox?  You have to be talking about a 5 to 6 years of productivity from a free agent to get into the Sox potential window again, because there is still not enough offense in the system and on the horizon for this franchise.

The massive issue with this organization as long as JR is the owner is that they’d need to pay well over market rate to attract qualified coaches and free agents.  For the manager scenario there are three possible outcomes:

Massively overpay an actual qualified candidate.  Jerry wont do this.

Get a qualified candidate that is near retirement and will just coast it out without giving two shits.

Hire a young guy that zero other franchises have on their radar and hope to catch lightning in a bottle.  

Scenario 3 has the highest chance of actual success, albeit low but I bet they go with 2.  Get some 65-70 year old MLB lifer to take naps on the bench.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This off season?  No way.  And honestly, unless you were getting Juan Soto, who out there is going to be long term enough to matter to the future White Sox?  You have to be talking about a 5 to 6 years of productivity from a free agent to get into the Sox potential window again, because there is still not enough offense in the system and on the horizon for this franchise.

Yeah, I would be surprised if they spent this off-season. Without knowing who is available in trade or free agency, I think they should consider adding anyone who is younger and can contribute to the MLB roster. That may require them to spend money which would be a tall ask, but if there version of improvement is trading for more slap hitters with low upside who they hope can contribute, we're going to be in deep trouble again next off-season.

I really struggle with this team telling us they need 3-5 years to rebuild. That shouldn't be acceptable.

7 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Yeah, I would be surprised if they spent this off-season. Without knowing who is available in trade or free agency, I think they should consider adding anyone who is younger and can contribute to the MLB roster. That may require them to spend money which would be a tall ask, but if there version of improvement is trading for more slap hitters with low upside who they hope can contribute, we're going to be in deep trouble again next off-season.

I really struggle with this team telling us they need 3-5 years to rebuild. That shouldn't be acceptable.

I mean the idea of "acceptable" at this point is kind of a joke.  Like what is going to happen if they don't?  What enforcement mechanism exists that can make sure of that?  There is none.   That only leaves the situation on the ground, which is rebuilding the worst team in the history of modern MLB, and a middle of the pack farm system to start with.  To me that states that the 3 year idea is almost laughable at this point.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Johno said:

When this horrific season finally ends, i believe the first move this organization needs to do is hire a manager that is respected by everyone in MLB.  I would say Terry Franconia is that guy.   For those who say fire Getz and the entire front office, i think we all realize that’s not going to happen, so i’m going to pivot to the manager.   This team has basically become the laughing stock of ALL of sports at this time, that’s why bringing in a manager that is respected by all must take place for us to have any chance of landing any sort of free agent talent in the offseason.

I see a guy like Buck Showalter, who seems to be an acquired taste around the game. Sho seems to focus on fundamentals, and runs a good clubhouse. He's a good "accountability" manager. He's good at firing up a team, but I've read that grows old as a team matures. Good in-game manager, not big on analytics, or working rookies into a veteran lineup. Good bullpen usage. In 2025, Vaughn and Benintendi may be his only pets to run out there every day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spiderman said:

Didn't Getz say this isn't the off-season they'll be "spending"? I see more fix and flip options, maybe 2 starting pitchers, an IF and OF. Another weird, unemployable catcher who could call a game, or keep the backup gear warm until Quero catches fire.