First Move

Johno

22 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I see a guy like Buck Showalter, who seems to be an acquired taste around the game. Sho seems to focus on fundamentals, and runs a good clubhouse. He's a good "accountability" manager. He's good at firing up a team, but I've read that grows old as a team matures. Good in-game manager, not big on analytics, or working rookies into a veteran lineup. Good bullpen usage. In 2025, Vaughn and Benintendi may be his only pets to run out there every day. 

I agree that Showalter would be a good teacher and manager

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

I agree that Showalter would be a good teacher and manager

And there is probably no chance he would want the job. There aren't going to be titles. Just hurt to your managerial record. I suspect it will Schumaker, a total Tony hire.

20 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Didn't Getz say this isn't the off-season they'll be "spending"? I see more fix and flip options, maybe 2 starting pitchers, an IF and OF. Another weird, unemployable catcher who could call a game, or keep the backup gear warm until Quero catches fire. 

Has he said that?

Technically, yes. They will probably sign a veteran starter or two that will be the equivalent of Flexen or Fedde. Guys that can't throw innings and/or who they think have a potential upside, but on team friendly 1 year deals preferably.

I would think upgrading the offense with more than slap hitting fringe MLB options would be a priority, but they may sell us on guys like Quero and Montgomery being difference makers who will do that. I understand, to a point, that they don't want to spend big money on free agency in a year where they are still in full blown rebuilding mode, but things are so bad right now, if there's a player they can acquire who is not 30+, but is more in that 25-27 range who won't cost them upper end money (which eliminates them already), they should be looking to add players.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Has he said that?

Technically, yes. They will probably sign a veteran starter or two that will be the equivalent of Flexen or Fedde. Guys that can't throw innings and/or who they think have a potential upside, but on team friendly 1 year deals preferably.

I would think upgrading the offense with more than slap hitting fringe MLB options would be a priority, but they may sell us on guys like Quero and Montgomery being difference makers who will do that. I understand, to a point, that they don't want to spend big money on free agency in a year where they are still in full blown rebuilding mode, but things are so bad right now, if there's a player they can acquire who is not 30+, but is more in that 25-27 range who won't cost them upper end money (which eliminates them already), they should be looking to add players.

Yeah, right after the Tigers' horrible 2003, they added Ivan Rodriguez, Carlos Guillen, and an injured Magglio Ordonez. They then signed Kenny Rogers for the 2006 season. Pudge and Magglio bought into the FO vision right away. I don't know if Getz has that going for him, right now.  

The Sox might want to go another season sorting through the top end of their system to see who can actually play the game, first. Maybe if they get a hitting development team in place, they can take a flyer on 3-4 guys who may need fixing, like they did with Fedde, Flexen, Soroka this year. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Yeah, right after the Tigers' horrible 2003, they added Ivan Rodriguez, Carlos Guillen, and an injured Magglio Ordonez. They then signed Kenny Rogers for the 2006 season. Pudge and Magglio bought into the FO vision right away. I don't know if Getz has that going for him, right now.  

The Sox might want to go another season sorting through the top end of their system to see who can actually play the game, first. Maybe if they get a hitting development team in place, they can take a flyer on 3-4 guys who may need fixing, like they did with Fedde, Flexen, Soroka this year. 

Dang, if only we had played those guys this year, maybe we could have done some of that already. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Dang, if only we had played those guys this year, maybe we could have done some of that already. 

So many wasted AB's on the Tommy Pham's, Nicky Lopez's, and Gavin Sheet's with nothing to show for it...

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Nobody suggested that. 

You did, of course.  Not directly,  but hey THE TIGERS STARTED SPENDING LIKE DRUNKEN SAILORS AFTER THEY ALMOST BROKE THE LOSS RECORD 

hmmm why would that be brought up 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You did, of course.  Not directly,  but hey THE TIGERS STARTED SPENDING LIKE DRUNKEN SAILORS AFTER THEY ALMOST BROKE THE LOSS RECORD 

Read the string. It was in response to a guy saying the Sox had to start spending this off-season. I replied that the Tigers made some big signings, but that I don't think the Sox are at that point. 

It's almost like, if I'm saying such outrageous stuff, admins wouldn't have follow me and pretend I'm saying really outrageous things. 

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I mean I said it, but I didn't mean it, how did you not know that?

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Read the string. It was in response to a guy saying the Sox had to start spending this off-season. I replied that the Tigers made some big signings, but that I don't think the Sox are at that point. 

It's almost like, if I'm saying such outrageous stuff, admins wouldn't have follow me and pretend I'm saying really outrageous things. 

My goodness you are so imperiled please tell me more!  Do you think the Sox will increase their payroll 90 million in the next 4 years and be in the World Series in 3?  

wait Getz is your guy, of course you do.  I’m just gonna go back to monitoring you from afar now 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

To be fair, I had to check to see if the poster (@spiderman) that you were replying to brought up what the Tigers did after their 2003 season.  Because outside of a similar record setting losing season, it didn’t really make sense to even mention.  But the kicker of it all is that you actually said, “I don't know if Getz has that going for him, right now.”

Yes, you DO know, as we ALL know, that Getz does not have that going for him right now because Jerry isn’t approving an increase in payroll for next season.  All the reports have been that the Sox will scale down to a $100 million dollar payroll for 2025.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

49 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Love that all of your arguments end up with you saying some variation of “I didn’t say that I only kind of said some of it”

Love how you guys misrepresent something, then complain that you get called out on it. 

On 9/3/2024 at 8:17 PM, Johno said:

When this horrific season finally ends, i believe the first move this organization needs to do is hire a manager that is respected by everyone in MLB.  I would say Terry Franconia is that guy.   For those who say fire Getz and the entire front office, i think we all realize that’s not going to happen, so i’m going to pivot to the manager.   This team has basically become the laughing stock of ALL of sports at this time, that’s why bringing in a manager that is respected by all must take place for us to have any chance of landing any sort of free agent talent in the offseason.

There will be no credible managers coming to the White Sox.  Ever.

7 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

There will be no credible managers coming to the White Sox.  Ever.

Not as long as JR is owner,  he has stated that he doesn't think a manager or a head coach makes that much difference (as a side note that means to doesn't have to pay top dollar for top people in that position)