First Move

Johno

On 9/5/2024 at 11:01 AM, Tnetennba said:

So many wasted AB's on the Tommy Pham's, Nicky Lopez's, and Gavin Sheet's with nothing to show for it...

Yeah, that's my concern for this upcoming off-season. More of these "veteran" type options to fill out a lineup and be leaders, etc. when, in reality, you're signing mediocre backup players and putting them in key roles.

Again, I understand....to a point, why they wouldn't be signing players of any significance to big money deals next year IF they are expecting to lose 100 games....at the same time, I struggle with settling. I'm just asking that they (without knowing the actual free agent market) would consider adding players to begin to get the team moving in the right direction. You can do that without mortgaging the future.

1 hour ago, spiderman said:

Yeah, that's my concern for this upcoming off-season. More of these "veteran" type options to fill out a lineup and be leaders, etc. when, in reality, you're signing mediocre backup players and putting them in key roles.

Again, I understand....to a point, why they wouldn't be signing players of any significance to big money deals next year IF they are expecting to lose 100 games....at the same time, I struggle with settling. I'm just asking that they (without knowing the actual free agent market) would consider adding players to begin to get the team moving in the right direction. You can do that without mortgaging the future.

The upside for the White Sox is that they have almost no money on the books next year, and most of the arbitration guys and options they have are guys that will be cut loose. I could easily see them being at $50 million in 2025 committed payroll on November 15. 

If they want to run their payroll at $75 million, they're going to do another season like last year of finding "leadership" and "domestic abusers" because there's not many ways to spend only $25 million while fielding a decent roster.

If they're willing to push back to a $100 million payroll there's room to think about adding someone significant. They might find a Fedde type, but I kinda doubt they would look to spend >$10 million a year for multiple years on a pitcher as they. have a lot of young arms and at least a few will be coming up next year. As a mostly DH, Santander seems like the kind of guy the White Sox would sign to decent money, although I might not think it wise. Maybe a Teoscar Hernandez as well. There's not a lot on the FA market though, so who knows how this will go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2024 at 7:48 AM, Balta1701 said:

The upside for the White Sox is that they have almost no money on the books next year, and most of the arbitration guys and options they have are guys that will be cut loose. I could easily see them being at $50 million in 2025 committed payroll on November 15. 

If they want to run their payroll at $75 million, they're going to do another season like last year of finding "leadership" and "domestic abusers" because there's not many ways to spend only $25 million while fielding a decent roster.

If they're willing to push back to a $100 million payroll there's room to think about adding someone significant. They might find a Fedde type, but I kinda doubt they would look to spend >$10 million a year for multiple years on a pitcher as they. have a lot of young arms and at least a few will be coming up next year. As a mostly DH, Santander seems like the kind of guy the White Sox would sign to decent money, although I might not think it wise. Maybe a Teoscar Hernandez as well. There's not a lot on the FA market though, so who knows how this will go.

The most they could afford would be Teoscar Hernandez or Profar type but much more likely a Renfroe/Duval/JPederson instead.

The problem is covering two outfield spots w Robert gone and really Benintendi should be DH.   That just leaves 4th and 5th outfielder types.

Francona would be damn near 70 by the time the team even has a shot of competing. Doesn’t make sense for either side.

Going to have to be someone that is in it for the long haul and prepared to build a new culture from scratch…which is going to be much easier said than done of course. 

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sox have $35.3 million committed to 25

It may be the only feasible way to keep wins to under 35. Random chance with a similar payroll could accidentally create a 40 win team, thus showing improvement. 

My hunch is the next manger isn't someone who will weigh in too much on free agent signings. This will be his first managerial job. They might as well jump on some guys early to at least start some framework. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

It may be the only feasible way to keep wins to under 35. Random chance with a similar payroll could accidentally create a 40 win team, thus showing improvement. 

My hunch is the next manger isn't someone who will weigh in too much on free agent signings. This will be his first managerial job. They might as well jump on some guys early to at least start some framework. 

If there is to be a rebuild it needs to start with the fan base.  The only cure for that is JR and TLR are no longer involved.

You might see people attend a 100 loss season with those conditions.  Then again maybe not. 

So far the framework spells cancer.   They need to find another stooge like Grifol whose only skill was ass kissing. 

I really can't think any serious manager would bother with this.  No upside unless it's a chance for a stepping stone to another organization.

• Like 1