Marco Paddy fired

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

This is where I'm at. I think the trades have been putrid, but at least he's identifying places that glaringly need to be upgraded? If you aren't spending on free agency in the near future, fucking rehaul this antiquated organization. (If JR lets him.)

Its too damn bad that he himself and the chairman are both top of list

7 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Its like folks don't grasp just how HISTORICALLY BAD this team and this season is. There should be no remaining front office members, when you do something THIS badly.

Should Jeff Luhnow have been fired after that horrible 2013 111-loss team? His 2012 team had 107 losses. It's called a rebuild.

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

Is every positive move for the org going to be viewed through this lense of “Yeah but Getz is still here”?

I get it. He’s unqualified for and bad at his job, but he’s not going anywhere. It is what it is.

Meanwhile, basically any change that happens within this rotting, maggot infested org is a good thing.

If he was an outside hire, I would’ve given him more rope.  But he’s a Kenny/Hahn lackey and learned from the absolute worst of the worst — two other terrible front office people that simply kissed Jerry’s ass to keep their paychecks rolling in for years.

Getz also didn’t develop anything in his previous role other than a pile of dung and he put together what was thought impossible this past offseason, a record setting turd.

He’s a terrible GM and needs to be gone as well and no, no one should stop screaming this from the highest towers and cliffs.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Getz was promoted because he knows the organization. We think the organization sucks and people need to be fired. Maybe Getz also believes that the organization sucks and is firing people. Cleaning house seems like a good start whether you want him in the position or not. 

His talent evaluation doesn't much inspire faith in his ability to hire quality personnel...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Counterpoint: No you wouldn't have. 

He has the Kenny/Hahn stink on him.  He truly deserves nothing, and damn sure didn’t deserve his promotion.  He should’ve been canned from his previous role for being a weak director of player development since he ultimately had poor results.  His offseason was awful, his in-season transactions were reactionary and questionable, and his trade deadline was a huge failure.

As I’ve said before, I’ll take a drunk monkey throwing darts at pictures of free agents/trade targets over trusting Getz and his staff (Barfield, Tosar (oh, already canned, go figure…)).  They have all burned us out of two starting caliber position players already with their terrible player assessments.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 2
  • Paper Bag 2

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

You can win with Jerry's financial limitations if you do it right. 

If Jerry simply set the budget, got out of the way, and let the FO make baseball decisions w/o meddling this would be true.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Quin said:

He's led a team to the worst season in baseball history, sans the Cleveland Spiders, who were essentially a AAA team before that existed.

He, like everyone from the old front office, needs to be exorcised before they can move forward.

Or excised...

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If he was an outside hire, I would’ve given him more rope.  But he’s a Kenny/Hahn lackey and learned from the absolute worst of the worst — two other terrible front office people that simply kissed Jerry’s ass to keep their paychecks rolling in for years.

Getz also didn’t develop anything in his previous role other than a pile of dung and he put together what was thought impossible this past offseason, a record setting turd.

He’s a terrible GM and needs to be gone as well and no, no one should stop screaming this from the highest towers and cliffs.

At least KW has/had a legitimate, consistently competitive track record over the course of 13 years.

Which is a lot more than can be said about Hahn or Getz.

38 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’m pretty sure Getz would’ve canned Paddy last year if he weren’t under contract. Also, this won’t really affect January 15, 2025 very much. These agreements have been in place for awhile. 

Well, at least until we still have half of the pool unaccounted for on signing day, THEN it will be blamed on the change.  My bad for jumping the gun 

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The GM doesn't have the authority to choose the people who work beneath him, and this is supposed to make White Sox fans feel confident in their GM. 

Luckily Chris was able to do these great evaluations yo speed things up... but then not allowed to act on them.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Luckily Chris was able to do these great evaluations yo speed things up... but then not allowed to act on them.

Maybe Getz can do another assessment of the team after his own year one like Jerry said he was able to do last year?  My guess is that he wouldn’t share the results with Jerry because all of the fingers would point back at him.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Story on the firing, Sox seem to be placing a lot of faith in the new Dominican facility:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-part-ways-with-marco-paddy

this seems to be the key. I thought Paddy was actually competent but his hands were tied by not being allowed to go into the DR. this is a positive development, too bad it didn't happen a decade ago. too bad it won't produce any fruit for years, if at all (why wouldn't this team screw it up?).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It took Getz a year to figure out Paddy suck, thought I’d just remind JR. 

Again, I don’t think this part is true 

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which isn't even done yet.  So no Academy and no leader 4 months before signing day.  Boy this is going to be a great January. 

Those signings are basically done. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The GM doesn't have the authority to choose the people who work beneath him, and this is supposed to make White Sox fans feel confident in their GM. 

I never said it should make anyone feel confident 

50 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well, at least until we still have half of the pool unaccounted for on signing day, THEN it will be blamed on the change.  My bad for jumping the gun 

I mean, it is what it is. Deals have been agreed upon for years at this point. 

• Fire 2
  • TLR 1

15 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Again, I don’t think this part is true 

Those signings are basically done. 

I never said it should make anyone feel confident 

I mean, it is what it is. Deals have been agreed upon for years at this point. 

Wasn't the whole thing that the Sox notoriously refuse to negotiate with the younger kids, leaving a smaller pool to negotiate with?  

DVS paragraph on the firing:

BALTIMORE — Marco Paddy, the longtime head of White Sox international operations, is leaving the organization as general manager Chris Getz looks to shake up a pipeline that hasn’t produced much in recent years.

Paddy, the 2022 International Scout of the Year, was in his 12th season as special assistant to the general manager, international operations. He directed the Sox’ Latin American efforts with an emphasis on international signings.

“We’ve decided to go a different direction with a restructuring of our international department,” said Chris Getz, the Sox’ former farm director who just completed his first full year as general manager. “We thank Marco for his work and wish him well in the future.”

During Paddy’s tenure, the Sox signed more than 150 international free agents, including outfielder Luis Robert Jr., Jose Abreu and Fernando Tatis — who was traded away before he became a star. But recent international signing classes have not been as fruitful. Infielder Eduardo Herrera, who became the highest rated non-Cuban international signee in franchise history in January, struggled in the Dominican Summer League. And expensive signees Oscar Colas, Yoelqui Cespedes, Micker Adolfo, Norge Vera and Yolbert Sánchez have been slow to develop.

The Sox are looking to improve their operation in the Dominican Republic.

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Should Jeff Luhnow have been fired after that horrible 2013 111-loss team? His 2012 team had 107 losses. It's called a rebuild.

Do you remember what those Astros teams’ opening day payrolls were in 2012 and 2013?

The 2012 Astros had around a $60 million dollar opening day payroll.

The Sox were at around $181 million last year and $123 million this year to start the seasons.

Hell, Getz basically spent as much in his first offseason as what the 2013 Astros opening day payroll was — around $26 million.

Your comparison isn’t really a close one.  You can argue inflation to some extent but it won’t account for that kind of difference in money and payrolls from 11 years ago.

Unless you were actually trying to prove that Getz did even worse than Luhnow, actually epically record-setting bad, with far more money spent on his roster.

The fact is that Getz did far worse than Luhnow in the first year of his rebuild while spending far more money.  But I guess he did acquire franchise “cornerstones” in Fletcher and Vargas, so we should give him some credit!

Edited by WhiteSox2023

32 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Do you remember what those Astros teams’ opening day payrolls were in 2012 and 2013?

The 2012 Astros had around a $60 million dollar opening day payroll.

The Sox were at around $181 million last year and $123 million this year to start the seasons.

Hell, Getz basically spent as much in his first offseason as what the 2013 Astros opening day payroll was — around $26 million.

Your comparison isn’t really a close one.  You can argue inflation to some extent but it won’t account for that kind of difference in money and payrolls from 11 years ago.

Unless you were actually trying to prove that Getz did even worse than Luhnow, actually epically record-setting bad, with far more money spent on his roster.

The fact is that Getz did far worse than Luhnow in the first year of his rebuild while spending far more money.  But I guess he did acquire franchise “cornerstones” in Fletcher and Vargas, so we should give him some credit!

Equally important, Lunhow's job before the Astros was the VP of player development for a World Series winner that had homegrown talent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

Equally important, Lunhow's job before the Astros was the VP of player development for a World Series winner that had homegrown talent.

Oh, wow, you mean Luhnow actually helped develop some of the talent that turned the Astros around after those two horrible years?

I guess we just have to wait a little longer for Getz’s equivalent successes.

Edited by WhiteSox2023