Marco Paddy fired

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Do you remember what those Astros teams’ opening day payrolls were in 2012 and 2013?

The 2012 Astros had around a $60 million dollar opening day payroll.

The Sox were at around $181 million last year and $123 million this year to start the seasons.

Hell, Getz basically spent as much in his first offseason as what the 2013 Astros opening day payroll was — around $26 million.

Your comparison isn’t really a close one.  You can argue inflation to some extent but it won’t account for that kind of difference in money and payrolls from 11 years ago.

Unless you were actually trying to prove that Getz did even worse than Luhnow, actually epically record-setting bad, with far more money spent on his roster.

The fact is that Getz did far worse than Luhnow in the first year of his rebuild while spending far more money.  But I guess he did acquire franchise “cornerstones” in Fletcher and Vargas, so we should give him some credit!

Dude, $60 million was tied up in 4 players Getz never signed. Getz wasn't the GM for the 2023 season. You're just throwing dishonest BS at the wall. You don't write a check, throw it on the field , and that check wins games. Benintendi, Robert, Yoan, and Eloy proved that. And Getz didn't even "spend" that money. 

I get it. You hate Chris Getz, and will torture every single fact, even if it doesn't really fit, just to trash the guy, and keep on pushing your narrative. 

Edited by WestEddy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Dude, $60 million was tied up in 4 players Getz never signed. Getz wasn't the GM for the 2023 season. You're just throwing dishonest BS at the wall. Benintendi, Robert, Yoan, and Eloy proved that. You don't write a check, throw it on the field , and that check wins games. And Getz didn't even "spend" that money. 

I get it. You hate Chris Getz, and will torture every single fact, even if it doesn't really fit, just to trash the guy, and keep on pushing your narrative. 

Okay, fine.  Then let’s take a look at exactly whom Getz chose to spend money on.  It looks like he spent a total of $38.85 million on a majority of players that were either cut, terrible, or injured.

Quite honestly, we should all be happy that Getz didn’t have an additional $60 million to spend — or at least Jerry should be — because he would have more than likely wasted it.  However, does this fit or is this just more trash to “push my narrative”?

But now you threw up the ultimate defense for Getz — “You don't write a check, throw it on the field, and that check wins games.”  So now we can’t judge our GM for whom he chooses to acquire with his payroll?

Fedde — $7.5 million (1 of 3 good acquisitions but traded for a terrible bat/glove player)

Brebbia — $5.5 million (DFA)

Lopez — $4.3 million (no team wanted him at TDL or on waivers)

Maldonado — $4.25 million (DFA)

Pham — $3.5 (spare junk included in bad Fedde trade)

Clevinger — $3 million (injured and done for season)

Soroka — $3 million (5.23 ERA; injured)

Hill — $1.8 million (DFA; great with Yankees now)

Flexen — $1.75 million (5.36 ERA; no team wanted him at TDL)

DeJong — $1.75 million (2nd good acquisition; good trade for reliever)

Grossman — $1.5 million (3rd good acquisition; good trade for reliever)

Pillar — $1 million (DFA)

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, fathom said:

I got no problem with people liking Getz, but I can’t imagine anyone telling Sox fans that they shouldn’t be venting about this organization based on how things are going.

I feel a much, much better about the team today, than I did a year ago. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

He’s not the scouting director and wasn’t GM when he was drafted

However...he put all the systems in place for the optimal development on those player, yes?

There's no reason to be optimistic UNTIL we see more non KC related hiring and dollars flowing into the future rather than veteran retreads and placeholders.

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Oh, wow, you mean Luhnow actually helped develop some of the talent that turned the Astros around after those two horrible years?

I guess we just have to wait a little longer for Getz’s equivalent successes.

I don’t understand this response. His post is about Luhnow in St. Louis, where he was crucial to the 2011 WS team. His 2009 draft class also was hugely responsible for their 2013 WS run.

A bit better resume than Getz heading in.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wasn't the whole thing that the Sox notoriously refuse to negotiate with the younger kids, leaving a smaller pool to negotiate with?  

That has been said. I have no idea how true it is. I also know that Kenny preferred the older Cubans because they could help the big league club quickly. The whole operation is a mess and it’ll take years to fix. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Paddy's last big signing was 3B Herrera, who had a tough year, to put it mildly. Does Herrera have any kind of future in Sox organization?

Too early to say, but early indications are headed in the direction of yet another bust since such a long run of them now ongoing.

Look at Tatis' brother's stat line for example.  Elijah.

Youngest brother Daniel 17-18 years old now.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I don’t understand this response. His post is about Luhnow in St. Louis, where he was crucial to the 2011 WS team. His 2009 draft class also was hugely responsible for their 2013 WS run.

This. It'd be like the Sox hiring a VP of player development from the Astros.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Yes, and he also helped build the Astros into a powerhouse when he joined them in 2011 and they were in the dumps.  But I see your point.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

13 hours ago, Quin said:

He, like everyone from the old front office, needs to be exorcised before they can move forward.

12 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He’s a terrible GM and needs to be gone as well and no, no one should stop screaming this from the highest towers and cliffs.

I think most of us understand and agree with that. I hated the hire when it happened and it gets worse every day.

But screaming it from the highest towers and cliffs into the void only returns an echo, so I guess I just no longer find the Getz venting to be cathartic and instead am resigned to being stuck with him.

Being a fan of this team is fucking exhausting.

• Like 3
  • Paper Bag 1

16 hours ago, SoxAce said:

If this was Getz call then I like him a bit more. He's been brutal in trades but he is fixing the front office personal issues I'll give him that. 

He hasn't fixed anything yet though.  I'm not going to give the man any credit until improvements are actually made.  All this could be like firing Rick/KW and hiring...Chris Getz.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I think most of us understand and agree with that. I hated the hire when it happened and it gets worse every day.

But screaming it from the highest towers and cliffs into the void only returns an echo, so I guess I just no longer find the Getz venting to be cathartic and instead am resigned to being stuck with him.

Being a fan of this team is fucking exhausting.

It's Getz or JR, and JR has at least shown some penchant for not wanting to be a national laughingstock. It's the only time he fires people.

If the Wunderkind can't turn this around by next year, it's more likely that he gets jettisoned into the sun than JR sells, even if both have small chances.

During his tenure in Chicago, Paddy has signed four Top 15 international prospects which includes outfielder Micker Adolfo (No.2) in 2013, outfielder Yoelqui Céspedes (No. 1) and right-handed pitcher Norge Vera (No.15) in 2021 and outfielder Oscar Colás (No. 5) in 2022. Colás is currently rated by MLB.com as the No. 95 prospect in all of baseball. (this didn't age well)

Paddy, a native of Panama, also was involved in the signings of first baseman José Abreu in 2013 and center fielder Luis Robert in 2017. Abreu was named the American League Rookie of the Year in 2014 and Most Valuable Player in 2020. Robert earned a Gold Glove Award following his rookie season in 2020.

Prior to joining the White Sox, Paddy served as the director of Latin American operations with Toronto from 2007-11. He spent 14 seasons in Atlanta’s organization as an area scout (1993-2002), assistant director of player development (2002-03) and director of Latin American operations (2004-06).

mlb.com

1 hour ago, Rowand44 said:

He hasn't fixed anything yet though.  I'm not going to give the man any credit until improvements are actually made.  All this could be like firing Rick/KW and hiring...Chris Getz.

Seriously, im not giving Getz credit for firing people that should have been fired before this season even started. Hell, Getz should have been one of those people.

So far, he's done nothing right. The team he put on the field this year is literally the worst team in baseball history. Yes, some of the players don't have his fingerprints on them but a lot of them do. Great, he let go of people who should have been let go a while ago. Lets see what he does with the manager now, and with Crochet and Robert, and what little money he will be allowed to spend this off-season.

He has a long way to go and a LOT to prove before I change my outlook on him and this organization.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

However...he put all the systems in place for the optimal development on those player, yes?

There's no reason to be optimistic UNTIL we see more non KC related hiring and dollars flowing into the future rather than veteran retreads and placeholders.

Josh Barfield, Paul Janish and Brian Bannister aren't from KC. The new manager won't be from KC either.

Yeah, he made a couple hires from there, a scout and a contract expert but guess what, everyone hires people they've worked with before when they get hiring powers. I get to start a new project, I'm staffing it with people I worked with before. Common practice. And every rebuilding team fills their roster with placeholders and veteran retreads. Why is everyone so stupid all of a sudden? The Sox just went through this not that long ago after 2016. People are mad that the Sox are horrible, but they were terrible last year and were always going to be worse this year, especially after the deadline. 

Was Getz hired under the right circumstances? No. Did he do anything obvious in his post as head of PD to earn his job? No? But he got the job and there nothing we can do about it. It seems like a lot of people in the fandom are just choosing to be miserable. I'm going to wait and see how he does in the job. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

It seems like a lot of people in the fandom are just choosing to be miserable.

Yeah, I can't think of any reason why the White Sox in 2024 would have their fans being selectively miserable. Buck up, nothing unusual happening to this team right now.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, I can't think of any reason why the White Sox in 2024 would have their fans being selectively miserable. Buck up, nothing unusual happening to this team right now.

It feels weird to agree with him, but yeah right now #TeamBalta

5 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Josh Barfield, Paul Janish and Brian Bannister aren't from KC. The new manager won't be from KC either.

Yeah, he made a couple hires from there, a scout and a contract expert but guess what, everyone hires people they've worked with before when they get hiring powers. I get to start a new project, I'm staffing it with people I worked with before. Common practice. And every rebuilding team fills their roster with placeholders and veteran retreads. Why is everyone so stupid all of a sudden? The Sox just went through this not that long ago after 2016. People are mad that the Sox are horrible, but they were terrible last year and were always going to be worse this year, especially after the deadline. 

Was Getz hired under the right circumstances? No. Did he do anything obvious in his post as head of PD to earn his job? No? But he got the job and there nothing we can do about it. It seems like a lot of people in the fandom are just choosing to be miserable. I'm going to wait and see how he does in the job. 

You almost had it, but lost everyone here. 

Choosing to be miserable?  In their last 303 games, the Sox are 93-210. 

But the fans are the ones are in the wrong here. Got it. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1