Marco Paddy fired

southsider2k5

I am in the “wait and see” camp, but the bad moves are far outweighing the good. Anyone can see that.

has he made positive changes? I hope so. I am giving Barfield the benefit of the doubt, and it seems like pitching has an actual development strategy. I also appreciate that they’re keeping  Montgomery down to actually develop.

That said, these positive changes are things that get us caught up to a Cleveland type of operation if we do it across the entire org, top to bottom. We have a LONG way to go, and I don’t think Getz (at least in this org) is going to be able to do enough to get out of the cellar.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I am in the “wait and see” camp, but the bad moves are far outweighing the good. Anyone can see that.

has he made positive changes? I hope so. I am giving Barfield the benefit of the doubt, and it seems like pitching has an actual development strategy. I also appreciate that they’re keeping  Montgomery down to actually develop.

That said, these positive changes are things that get us caught up to a Cleveland type of operation if we do it across the entire org, top to bottom. We have a LONG way to go, and I don’t think Getz (at least in this org) is going to be able to do enough to get out of the cellar.

Well never be a Cleveland type operation because Cleveland, while not spending a ton of money and being cheap, invests in their scouting and development and make smart hires. The White Sox wont do this, and the money they do spend is spent on the mid tier of free agency for players that aren't moving the championship needle.

Its been said to death, but we just need new ownership. Once that happens, ill immediately feel better about the state of the team.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Robert has under-performed, Crochet will be dealt, Moncada doesn’t want to play the sport anymore, Colas and Sosa both don’t appear to be MLB players, Baldwin has underwhelmed and is now injured, Vargas and Amaya can’t hit or field, Thorpe is going in for surgery on his pitching arm, Montgomery has almost completely regressed.  They got near zero in return for Fedde or Kopech and…Oh yeah…and THEYRE ABOUT TO SET THE RECORD FOR MOST LOSSES IN MLB HISTORY!  Anyone that finds a single redeeming quality in this franchise right now is delusional and deserves everything they’re about to get for the next 5 years.

I'm waiting for Colas to go wreck shop with some competent org while we have to watch Zach DeLoach.

19 minutes ago, almagest said:

The lack of offensive production in the minors is absolutely the biggest concern for the future. There's no way out of this futility if they can't draft and develop their own hitters. We've already seen trading for "finished" products or for highly or intelligently drafted players doesn't work if you can't do any of that yourself.

Teams also are apparently super reluctant to trade top 100 prospect level offensive talent, so you'd better be good at scouting and developing lottery tickets.

This is likely the most impactful offseason we've ever seen for scouting and player development hires. I wish it was someone more qualified than Getz running the show, but here we are. Hopefully he makes the right moves - I hope with better staff in place we see a turnaround from the hitting prospects that struggled this year.

Yes, this is the most concerning part. Maybe we hit really well on this group of pitchers and find a dynamic group of Crochet, Schulz, Smith, and find 2 of Thorpe/Iriarte/Bush/Martin/etc as a great starting 5...

Well seattle is leading the league in ERA and is 70-70. Granted that is...37 games above us. But given we have had a year of our hitting prospects shedding their hype, I think it's going to be brutal stacking enough offense together.

• Like 2

woops, forgot to add. All the gasps at great value at the deadline - but it was extremely noticeable that those always included top pitching prospects. 

It's why I was dumb enough to be wait and see with Vargas, as it at least was a position prospect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

woops, forgot to add. All the gasps at great value at the deadline - but it was extremely noticeable that those always included top pitching prospects. 

It's why I was dumb enough to be wait and see with Vargas, as it at least was a position prospect.

I'm still trying to hold onto him turning it around next year, but HOO BOY.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Pitching has been solid, I guess, but the problem is that was already the one possible + in this org so it's not like he has made a significant improvement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yes, this is the most concerning part. Maybe we hit really well on this group of pitchers and find a dynamic group of Crochet, Schulz, Smith, and find 2 of Thorpe/Iriarte/Bush/Martin/etc as a great starting 5...

Well seattle is leading the league in ERA and is 70-70. Granted that is...37 games above us. But given we have had a year of our hitting prospects shedding their hype, I think it's going to be brutal stacking enough offense together.

And people can point out that teams aren't willing to deal hitters, sure.  Great.  But that doesn't make things better.  It keeps make them worse, because there isn't a way to get this talent into the system for a much longer time frame, and it means the Sox need to do something they haven't done for decades in developing multiple star level hitters at the same time.  Those players don't exist in the system now, and if they can't trade for them, they can't shorten the time frame.  It actually makes their draft much worse.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, T R U said:

Well never be a Cleveland type operation because Cleveland, while not spending a ton of money and being cheap, invests in their scouting and development and make smart hires. The White Sox wont do this, and the money they do spend is spent on the mid tier of free agency for players that aren't moving the championship needle.

Its been said to death, but we just need new ownership. Once that happens, ill immediately feel better about the state of the team.

I think that's my point.

We need to do more things like Cleveland and other similarly run orgs, but JR won't allow it, or Getz doesn't want to go that route (or both).

3 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I think that's my point.

We need to do more things like Cleveland and other similarly run orgs, but JR won't allow it, or Getz doesn't want to go that route (or both).

Exactly, 85% of the league is thinking either 
"We can't be the red sox, so we have to be more like the rays" or "what if we were the rays, but with a $400 million budget"?

Meanwhile the white sox and rockies are thinking "we aren't the yankees because they spend too much, let's put a nice, modest product on the field. Get that damn spreadsheet out of my face"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Meanwhile the white sox and rockies are thinking "we aren't the yankees because they spend too much, let's put a nice, modest product on the field. Get that damn spreadsheet out of my face"

The Angels are "We're the Yankees but better! Now let's find someone who can't stay on the field or is actually 45 years old to spend half a billion on!"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

"We can't be the red sox, so we have to be more like the rays" or "what if we were the rays, but with a $400 million budget"?

Essentially, this 

ben-stiller-confused.gif

49 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Pitching has been solid, I guess, but the problem is that was already the one possible + in this org so it's not like he has made a significant improvement.

The pitching sucks. Even with Crochet, only the Rockies have given up more runs than the White Sox this season. I don't understand why everyone thinks Bannister walks on water around here.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, T R U said:

The pitching sucks. Even with Crochet, only the Rockies have given up more runs than the White Sox this season. I don't understand why everyone thinks Bannister walks on water around here.

I think he just means in the organization as a whole like the prospects coming up.

4 hours ago, almagest said:

We're finally seeing the personnel changes happen that should have been happening for a long time, and people with some internal connections (like Jimmy and Harold) have been telling us these changes need to happen. It sounds like KW and Hahn did NOT want to make these changes, or couldn't get Reinsdorf buy in. Getz seems to understand at least some of what needs to happen, and/or managed to finally convince Jerry. These are positives for the future of the franchise, assuming Getz can hire the right people - and I fully understand why people are skeptical he will.

Hopefully Getz is better at finding talent for the front office, than he is finding talent on the baseball field. I'll be optimistic when one of the moves he makes....actually works.

2 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I clicked on this topic excitedly so I could read 6 pages of insight into the international scouting department.  Instead, I got the same "Getz sucks" crap I've been seeing for 10 months.  Should have known. 

I want to talk about that...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think he just means in the organization as a whole like the prospects coming up.

The pitching is largely in the same spot as it was prior to Bannister getting here, organizationally. Unless im completely blanking on someone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I clicked on this topic excitedly so I could read 6 pages of insight into the international scouting department.  Instead, I got the same "Getz sucks" crap I've been seeing for 10 months.  Should have known. 

If you have any actual insight into scouting, please do so, otherwise you are offering the exact same thing you are complaining about.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

/thread

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you have any actual insight into scouting, please do so, otherwise you are offering the exact same thing you are complaining about.

I never claimed to have the insight.  I wanted to read a conversation about the thread topic, you know, like how a message board should work. 

Instead I get to read Getz/KC Royals and "he never should have been hired" comments for the 10,000th time.  

I have it all memorized.  In about 2 more pages, we'll get all the rest of the classics... you'll talk about roster churn and panic and whitesox2023 will bring up how we missed out on Luke Keaschall.  Then there will be 10 pages between you guys and westeddy arguing over whether Getz "should have known" Robert, Eloy, and Moncada would have all been injured at the same time at the start of the season... Someone will chime in to say Kopech is pitching well for the Dodgers.  Caulfield will write a post in multiple font sizes referencing Jose Valentin, Ivan Caulderon, James Baldwin and Tyler Saladino.  

My favorite one is when half of you will argue Seby Zavala was bad and an indictment of Chris Getz' development ability but the other half will argue Getz fucked up by not bringing Seby Zavala back at minimum salary.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

54 minutes ago, T R U said:

II agree to a point. Anyone who thinks 1 guy can drop a team ERA 1 run is nuts. But he did show Davis Martin a new change up. If he uses that to become a solid #3 or #4 starter, Bannister has earned his paycheck this year. We will see.his impact with the guys they got for Cease, and whatever they get for Crochet and Robert. But you are right. To say pitching development is anywhere near fixed at this time is nuts.