Will the Sox prioritize Moncada over youngsters?

caulfield12

in terms of playing time at 3B 2B 1B or DH?

WHY?  To avoid the losses record?

"White Sox: 3B Yoan Moncada
The switch-hitting third baseman still has to return healthy to the White Sox to prove anything after being out since April 9 with a left adductor strain and putting together only 44 plate appearances in 11 big-league games this season. But Moncada has 15 at-bats over five games during a current injury rehab assignment with Triple-A Charlotte, including a home run Tuesday, with 21 White Sox games remaining. At 29, Moncada still has an abundance of talent but has not been able to stay healthy consistently during his time in Chicago. The White Sox almost certainly will use their $5 million buyout instead of picking up his $25 million club option for ‘25, so Moncada will be playing for his future while suiting up for the White Sox in the present. -- Scott Merkin"

mlb.com

Edited by caulfield12

26 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

in terms of playing time at 3B 2B 1B or DH?

WHY?  To avoid the losses record?

"White Sox: 3B Yoan Moncada
The switch-hitting third baseman still has to return healthy to the White Sox to prove anything after being out since April 9 with a left adductor strain and putting together only 44 plate appearances in 11 big-league games this season. But Moncada has 15 at-bats over five games during a current injury rehab assignment with Triple-A Charlotte, including a home run Tuesday, with 21 White Sox games remaining. At 29, Moncada still has an abundance of talent but has not been able to stay healthy consistently during his time in Chicago. The White Sox almost certainly will use their $5 million buyout instead of picking up his $25 million club option for ‘25, so Moncada will be playing for his future while suiting up for the White Sox in the present. -- Scott Merkin"

mlb.com

Do they really think Moncada will help them avoid that?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

At this point I think they have to see what he has left. I can't imagine a scenario he returns but you have to look. 

He’s no doubt getting his buyout at the end of the season and will sign elsewhere.  What is the benefit to seeing what he has left?

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He’s no doubt getting his buyout at the end of the season and will sign elsewhere.  What is the benefit to seeing what he has left?

Did the same favor to Grand all last year...like a tryout period for rest of MLB to see what he has left.

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Did the same favor to Grand all last year...like a tryout period for rest of MLB to see what he has left.

The favors that Grandal and Moncada both received was getting overpaid for their production and health, or lack there of.  I really hope this isn’t a thing.

• Like 1

I think Ozzie had the best idea. Play Ramos at 3B and tell Moncada he’s playing 2B. Give him Nicky Lopezs ABs. That way the only person needing consoling will be Schriffen. I suspect if Moncada plays, it will mostly be DH. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think Ozzie had the best idea. Play Ramos at 3B and tell Moncada he’s playing 2B. Give him Nicky Lopezs ABs. That was the only person needing consoling will be Schriffen. I suspect if Moncada plays, it will mostly be DH. 

Sheets has already locked up DH next year, or Julks?

Yikes if that's the case.

I don't see the point of playing him with 20 games left. Just tell him to rest up and get ready for next season.

Even if he plays DH and hits a HR or two, that doesn't change anything. He's been a bust and won't be here.

They should prioritize playing time to Ramos and Baldwin...I guess I don't care if he plays over Sosa or Lopez, but I don't see any scenario where Moncada is back even if it's a minor league deal. I think they need to move on.

3 minutes ago, spiderman said:

I don't see the point of playing him with 20 games left. Just tell him to rest up and get ready for next season.

Even if he plays DH and hits a HR or two, that doesn't change anything. He's been a bust and won't be here.

They should prioritize playing time to Ramos and Baldwin...I guess I don't care if he plays over Sosa or Lopez, but I don't see any scenario where Moncada is back even if it's a minor league deal. I think they need to move on.

Baldwin was just IL'd.

Priorties on the skilled IF should be

1. Ramos

2. Vargas

3. Sosa

4. Amaya

5. Nicky.

Of course we will probably send down Ramos for Moncada and then start him at third every game.

46 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If you were a free agent would you look at how the team treats their veterans? 

Depends on which tier of free agent I am: do I have literally zero options where my only choice is playing for the Sox like say, I don't know...Tommy Pham and Mike Clevinger?

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Depends on which tier of free agent I am: do I have literally zero options where my only choice is playing for the Sox like say, I don't know...Tommy Pham and Mike Clevinger?

If we want to improve our chances in free agency  is it necessary to improve how we treat players? Or do we not try, keep getting passed over, and just accept that is going to happen? 

I'm thinking at least do the cheap stuff right. Don't f*** up the easy stuff. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If we want to improve our chances in free agency  is it necessary to improve how we treat players? Or do we not try, keep getting passed over, and just accept that is going to happen? 

I am confused as to the entire premise of a veteran being mistreated here.  Who and how?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

While improving things like advanced scouting or training techniques might help, that's never going to be anything that someone decides a contract on unless the contract offer is already competitive. For all we know it might have contributed to a decision by someone like Wheeler to go elsewhere, but there are very few times the White Sox or any team lose out on a player while making a strong, league-leading offer. If you don't bid on an Ohtani or a Soto you will not sign them, and this team is no where near bidding for those players nor are they seemingly interested in doing so. 

Could I imagine a scenario where Alex Bregman or someone like that doesn't get the contract he wants, hangs out until the end of the offseason unsigned, gets an offer from the White Sox, and turns it down to take less money for a year literally anywhere else? Yeah I can, so the general awfulness of the franchise could play into that setup if it happened. The White Sox really didn't try for any of those type of guys last year though, they went to San Francisco. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am confused as to the entire premise of a veteran being mistreated here.  Who and how?

The White Sox have historically given a lot of veteran players that haven’t carried their weight, good money,  and  have written them into lineup cards way past their expiration dates. The White Sox have to be viewed as one of the best teams to work for in the league 

• Like 1