Will the Sox prioritize Moncada over youngsters?

caulfield12

7 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Is Yoan Moncada the biggest bust in White Sox history?? 

I'd say Kopech is in the driver's seat.

Moncada and Eloy at least had varying degrees of success and dealt with chronic injuries. Everything with Kopech was his own doing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

Moncada and Eloy at least had varying degrees of success and dealt with chronic injuries. Everything with Kopech was his own doing.

Agreed.  He was supposed to be Roger Clemens coming in.  Between injuries, covid skipping a year, being generally uncoachable, and failing in both the pen as an as a starter for the Sox, he deserves to be on that Mt Rushmore.  I know people get after Eloy and Yoan, but neither of them have ever gone on record for refusing to listen to coaching.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Agreed.  He was supposed to be Roger Clemens coming in.  Between injuries, covid skipping a year, being generally uncoachable, and failing in both the pen as an as a starter for the Sox, he deserves to be on that Mt Rushmore.  I know people get after Eloy and Yoan, but neither of them have ever gone on record for refusing to listen to coaching.

Moncada was the number 1 overall prospect though when acquired. Those guys are Trout, Ohtani, Harper, Rutchsman. Those guys aren’t supposed to wash out after about 10 career WAR.

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

“Everything” with Kopech? I think a much smarter organization sending him to AAA in 2021 and then stretching his arm out to start would have been the biggest change possible in his career and that set of ludicrous decisions isn’t on him.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I need to asterisk that TJ wasn't his fault, unless we credit his one-track mind obsession with velocity.

But we all know Moncada's 2019 and 2021 seasons. Every other year he was either hurt or had COVID. Eloy is the second-most snake bitten player ever after Ian Hamilton, but he did win a Silver Slugger as a rookie.

Kopech was an OK fifth starter in 2021 and then cratered.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Moncada was the number 1 overall prospect though when acquired. Those guys are Trout, Ohtani, Harper, Rutchsman. Those guys aren’t supposed to wash out after about 10 career WAR.

Funnily enough, Benintendi was #1 (at some publications) when Moncada was acquired.

But Kopech was also the #1 RHP prospect and Eloy was a top 10 RF. They weren't far behind.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Funnily enough, Benintendi was #1 (at some publications) when Moncada was acquired.

But Kopech was also the #1 RHP prospect and Eloy was a top 10 RF. They weren't far behind.

Yeah, Kopech was the top guy in his position by far.  He would have been even higher, but for punching a teammate in the minors.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

On the 2017 MLb.com list, Benintendi was ahead of Moncada correct.

Alex Reyes, Glasnow, and Giolito were ahead of Kopech. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

On the 2017 MLb.com list, Benintendi was ahead of Moncada correct.

Alex Reyes, Glasnow, and Giolito were ahead of Kopech. 

Huh, my bad then. I remember Kopech having a MASSIVE jump at one point and being the top ranked, but I guess I'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Huh, my bad then. I remember Kopech having a MASSIVE jump at one point and being the top ranked, but I guess I'm wrong.

I've got him at #10 on the MLB.com list in 2018 pre-injury, but he was passed by Forrest Whitley at number 9 that year. The top prospect in baseball was also a RHP, sorta.

#12 that year was Brent Honeywell, a RHP, and number 13 was Walker Buehler. 

I'm sure some list had him as the top ranked RHP, but both of those years there was a cluster, he was just in it.

Eloy is the biggest bust and I don't think its very close.

Im not going to knock Kopech for not turning into an ace, starting pitching is so volatile. Eloy on the other hand was an absolute monster in the minors, gave us a taste of what he could be in his debut, and then became the most worthless disappointing player ever after that.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

he has a chronic back issue among other things. "not supposed to" happens quite a bit, it's baseball. He's a bust, but let's not pretend like he was some big malcontent. When he played, for the most part, he was a solid starter and sometimes more.

I think the biggest bust is Eloy personally. A golden bat that was pretty much penciled in as at worst a 280/340/500 type that would put up 35 HR a year in the Cell with a 2-3 WAR floor.

Dude isn't even replacement level and can't hit 25 HR a year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Quin said:

But he'd already established himself that year in the big leagues and was considered basically impossible for them to trade...post-season success, too.

2016 Baseball America MLB Boston Red Sox 15
2016 Baseball America Team Boston Red Sox 3
2016 MLB Pipeline MLB Boston Red Sox 25
2016 MLB Pipeline Team Boston Red Sox 3
2017 Baseball America Team Boston Red Sox 1
2017 Baseball America MLB Boston Red Sox 1
2017 MLB Pipeline Team Boston Red Sox 1
2017 MLB Pipeline MLB Boston Red Sox 1

8 record(s)

It was far from a consensus on Benintendi.   But sure, 2017.   One thing that is 100% sure is that

Devers OR Moncada were the only trade possibilities for the Sox, not AB.

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

he has a chronic back issue among other things. "not supposed to" happens quite a bit, it's baseball. He's a bust, but let's not pretend like he was some big malcontent. When he played, for the most part, he was a solid starter and sometimes more.

I think the biggest bust is Eloy personally. A golden bat that was pretty much penciled in as at worst a 280/340/500 type that would put up 35 HR a year in the Cell with a 2-3 WAR floor.

Dude isn't even replacement level and can't hit 25 HR a year.

Or at least can't stay healthy enough to put up 25 because of missed time.

He did it at least once, right?  Or very close.

But still a net negative fWAR I'm pretty sure, or very close to 0.0 if not neg.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But he'd already established himself that year in the big leagues and was considered basically impossible for them to trade...post-season success, too.

2016 Baseball America MLB Boston Red Sox 15
2016 Baseball America Team Boston Red Sox 3
2016 MLB Pipeline MLB Boston Red Sox 25
2016 MLB Pipeline Team Boston Red Sox 3
2017 Baseball America Team Boston Red Sox 1
2017 Baseball America MLB Boston Red Sox 1
2017 MLB Pipeline Team Boston Red Sox 1
2017 MLB Pipeline MLB Boston Red Sox 1

8 record(s)

It was far from a consensus on Benintendi.   But sure, 2017.   One thing that is 100% sure is that

Devers OR Moncada were the only trade possibilities for the Sox, not AB.

There is literally an interview with Dombrowski where he says it was Benintendi or Moncada + Kopech or Devers + the rest.

Hahn wanted Moncada/Kopech/Devers, but couldn't get that because DD knew no one could match Moncada/Benintendi + Kopech + more

Here's the interview