Will the Sox prioritize Moncada over youngsters?

caulfield12

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am confused as to the entire premise of a veteran being mistreated here.  Who and how?

A quick recap.

The question was why should he play?

About the only reason would be to give him an opportunity to show if he has anything left. I don't think anyone could see a possibility of him being in a Sox uniform next year. 

Then the question was how could that possibly help the team? 

I was curious what you thought and  asked if you were a free agent would you consider how the team treats their veterans. If that is something free agents would consider *then* it would be an advantage to play him. If free agents don't care then they can just DFA him or let him have a great view for that 35th win of the season on the bench. 

I don't believe anyone said anything about him being mistreated in any way. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

A quick recap.

The question was why should he play?

About the only reason would be to give him an opportunity to show if he has anything left. I don't think anyone could see a possibility of him being in a Sox uniform next year. 

Then the question was how could that possibly help the team? 

I was curious what you thought and  asked if you were a free agent would you consider how the team treats their veterans. If that is something free agents would consider *then* it would be an advantage to play him. If free agents don't care then they can just DFA him or let him have a great view for that 35th win of the season on the bench. 

I don't believe anyone said anything about him being mistreated in any way. 

I doubt that is a factor at all.  The Sox won’t be playing in the good free agent pool next offseason.  They should tell Moncada to stay home, enjoy his direct deposit, and play younger players in his place that might actually be on the team next year.  Your scenario should be a non-factor for this team.  By the time this team is signing “quality” free agents, Moncada will be a distant memory.

Besides, ultimately, money talks and bullshit walks.  No free agent a few years from now will care or even remember what the Sox did with Moncada.

“Oh, so Moncada was finally healthy but the Sox told him to stay home?”  The next question from the free agent would be — “But did he still get paid?”

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

The White Sox have historically given a lot of veteran players that haven’t carried their weight, good money,  and  have written them into lineup cards way past their expiration dates. The White Sox have to be viewed as one of the best teams to work for in the league 

They’ve also been a place where numerous guys have complained about the expectation to play through injuries and still others have kept their mouths shut when they could have spoken up (I swear to god my phone corrected shut to Luis while I was typing that last phrase). We’ve also gotten a very strong impression that guys get frustrated with the coaching style, game plans, and lack of information that they receive compared to other team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

On 9/5/2024 at 9:53 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Baldwin was just IL'd.

Priorties on the skilled IF should be

1. Ramos

2. Vargas

3. Sosa

4. Amaya

5. Nicky.

Of course we will probably send down Ramos for Moncada and then start him at third every game.

Yep, play Vargas everyday also. He's probably going to be a starter next season at 3B (or moving him around some), but agree with your list.

On 9/5/2024 at 6:39 AM, Texsox said:

At this point I think they have to see what he has left. I can't imagine a scenario he returns but you have to look. 

No you don't. He's gonna get $5M to go away in the offseason. There is zero chance that insane $25M option is picked up, and if it is, Getz is more of a moron than anyone could have imagined.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

No way. Move on.

That would be Sox thing to do. In a season with 35 wins they will make a decision without easily obtained current data. 

It might cost then the opportunity for 37 wins. 

55 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

No you don't. He's gonna get $5M to go away in the offseason. There is zero chance that insane $25M option is picked up, and if it is, Getz is more of a moron than anyone could have imagined.

He's not a part of the future, punt him and be done with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Texsox said:

That would be Sox thing to do. In a season with 35 wins they will make a decision without easily obtained current data. 

They don't need 10-15 games of play to determine if they are giving him $25 million next year.  That decision has long since been made.  He will be bought out, he will be a free agent.  Literally any franchise in baseball would prioritize the kids who will be here next year and sit Yoan.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Lol come on man. We’re talking about Yoan Moncada. We know what he is.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They don't need 10-15 games of play to determine if they are giving him $25 million next year.  That decision has long since been made.  He will be bought out, he will be a free agent.  Literally any franchise in baseball would prioritize the kids who will be here next year and sit Yoan.  

I guess there won't be any rest days for those kids at this point in the season. I forget how little is left on the schedule. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

There’s other guys on the bench they can play instead 🤷‍♂️

Sure. It's still in the 90s here, I forget the season is about over. Gotta get them some experience and every game counts.

Plus evidently some fans still care who is playing. Other than that, who would care what most of the teams are doing? 

I wish they would add another round of playoff and end the season at 154 games. 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Sure. It's still in the 90s here, I forget the season is about over. Gotta get them some experience and every game counts.

Plus evidently some fans still care who is playing. Other than that, who would care what most of the teams are doing? 

I wish they would add another round of playoff and end the season at 154 games. 

if they were to add another round of playoffs and more teams a la the NBA and NHL, I'm guessing at some point fairly soon, you'd get a team actually qualifying with a .500 record or a losing one. 

That almost happen in 1994. At the time of the labor standoff the Rangers were in first place in their division with a record 10 games under .500. They would have played the Sox in the first round. 

Guys; I think we have this all wrong. Getz is a genius. He's going to keep trotting Sheets, Nicky, Vargas, and Moncada out there the rest of the season. We'll lose >120 games and be the worst of all time. Then.......he makes genius move after genius move in the off season and we ONLY lose 95 games next season. And.....POOF he's Executive of the Year for a 25+ game improvement over this season. He's playing 3D chess and we're mearly playing checkers boys. 

14 minutes ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Guys; I think we have this all wrong. Getz is a genius. He's going to keep trotting Sheets, Nicky, Vargas, and Moncada out there the rest of the season. We'll lose >120 games and be the worst of all time. Then.......he makes genius move after genius move in the off season and we ONLY lose 95 games next season. And.....POOF he's Executive of the Year for a 25+ game improvement over this season. He's playing 3D chess and we're mearly playing checkers boys. 

Royals pretty much have that one in hand this year going from 106 losses to WC.

But they spent quite a bit in FA and just so happen to have the 1A player in the AL.  Gunner Henderson would arguably be 3.

4 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

He'll probably sign with another small market habitually losing team with the hopes they might make their own birmingham better at the trade deadline.

A's Rockies Pirates Rays Marlins 

Tigers would be fun, or KC.  Not like Maikel Franco has 3B sewn up for the Royals into next year.

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

if they were to add another round of playoffs and more teams a la the NBA and NHL, I'm guessing at some point fairly soon, you'd get a team actually qualifying with a .500 record or a losing one. 

That almost happen in 1994. At the time of the labor standoff the Rangers were in first place in their division with a record 10 games under .500. They would have played the Sox in the first round. 

Those teams and teams with even worst records are already playing in September. Look at the schedule the next couple of weeks. Do you want to drop or keep the shittiest of the shittiest teams playing? 

The playoffs are just a way to cut crappy teams, consolidate TV viewing, and keep selling tickets by reigniting interest. Otherwise they could just declare a winner after 162 games.