White Sox let four scouts go

Sleepy Harold

If Getz just ends up hiring a bunch of scouts from KC I'll grab my torch and pitchfork and jump fully on the "fire Getz" bandwagon. Hopefully we see them pry some high value scouts from good organizations.

28 minutes ago, almagest said:

If Getz just ends up hiring a bunch of scouts from KC I'll grab my torch and pitchfork and jump fully on the "fire Getz" bandwagon. Hopefully we see them pry some high value scouts from good organizations.

It seems like there was a general purge of scouts around the game this summer. I think the Nationals cleaned house of "highly respected" long-time scouts. 

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

It seems like there was a general purge of scouts around the game this summer. I think the Nationals cleaned house of "highly respected" long-time scouts. 

Hopefully it's not all just musical chairs and they find some actual good scouts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

I know you were joking, but seriously how many scouts do they actually have now? It’s gotta be close to zero.

Before the pandemic, I think they had the most in MLB, if not one of the larger departments. I remember they made a video about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Before the pandemic, I think they had the most in MLB, if not one of the larger departments. I remember they made a video about it.

Before the pandemic as in the mid-2000s, yes, I believe that. By 2015, not even close.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Before the pandemic as in the mid-2000s, yes, I believe that. By 2015, not even close.

Found the video I was thinking about: https://www.mlb.com/video/scouting-the-future-c2114427483

But at Sox fest one year, they said that they hired more manpower in the scouting ranks as teams were moving away from in person scouting. And of course in 2020, everyone was just about laid off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think the analytics department is what is essentially a skeleton crew.

19 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

I did know about the analytics department, but I thought it was both that and scouting in which they were very low or the lowest.

6 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Found the video I was thinking about: https://www.mlb.com/video/scouting-the-future-c2114427483

But at Sox fest one year, they said that they hired more manpower in the scouting ranks as teams were moving away from in person scouting. And of course in 2020, everyone was just about laid off. 

Note that everything here is the stuff that Billy Beane complained about in Moneyball. "Look how short he is to the baseball, you see a guy taking a good swing on the ball, you're working from your notes you're working from your memory and that's where the video helps, how hard of a worker is he, how does he overcome adversity."

They never talk about guys being intelligent, they never talk about guys approach at the plate, they never talk about how guys have different positional value, no one has ever mentioned statistics translating, no one is actually taking any data from their performance and interpreting anything based on these hundreds of independent scenarios,  it's 100% classic scouting. Guy writes a report and it gets filed somewhere so they decide their draft based on that. They have more video, and they can file their reports electronically, but there's no Paul DePodesta in the room saying "He gets on base" every time he's pointed at.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

Here are all four guys from that video which was dated June 3rd, 2018.  I checked their LinkedIn pages and other sources and it looks like they are all still employed by the Sox.  Below are their current titles and years with the Sox.

1.)  Nick Hosteter (Special Assistant to the GM) - 20+ years with Sox

2.)  J.J. Lally (Crosschecker) — 25+ years with Sox

3.) Garrett Guest (Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting; VP / Dealer Principal of South Oak Jeep, Dodge, and Ram) — ??? years with Sox

4.)  Nathan Durst (Professional Scout) — 27+ years with Sox

Would it be crazy to bring in some scouts from other organizations?  I realize it’s not all on them but what have these guys proven to be good at in 20+ years?  They seem to be more Jerry lifers.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1