White Sox let four scouts go

Sleepy Harold

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Wait what?

Looks like he is the VP of a car dealership in Oak Lawn, as well as an Assistant Scouting Director for the White Sox.  It also looks like he retweeted a Barstoolsports Dave Portnoy review for a pizza place in Oak Lawn.  Maybe he’s a multi-tasker?  🤣

His Twitter page lists both roles but it looks like he doesn’t have his White Sox career listed on his LinkedIn page so maybe he left?

UPDATE:  Garrett Guest is listed as the Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting on the White Sox Front Office webpage, but haven’t there been instances where this site was out-of-date in the past?

IMG-1590.jpg

https://www.linkedin.com/in/garrett-guest-96b549182

IMG-1589.jpg

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I keep thinking of a scene in Moneyball, where Brad Pitt is faced with a room full of old-time scouts, all of whom disagreed with Pitt (Billy Beane).

Except by all indications we seem to be going the opposite direction and firing everyone who isn't an old timey guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

At the press conference last year, JR mentioned several scouts from other teams were recently let go, and said he thought the Sox might be able to take advantage of that. Wait a year.

By “the Sox might be able to take advantage of that,” I am beginning to suspect that he meant “the Sox can also slash their entire scouting budget to match the competition.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep, and all the old guys in that scene are Sox scouts…

except his scouts were good. The big scene where he throws a chair in moneyball the book they tried to get him to draft jeremy bonderman who had a major league career and a 200 strikeout year that took tigers to world series. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

except his scouts were good. The big scene where he throws a chair in moneyball the book they tried to get him to draft jeremy bonderman who had a major league career and a 200 strikeout year that took tigers to world series. 

And they traded him for Ted Lilly, who had one decent and one bad year for the As.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Scouts don’t make much money. I said earlier they get McDonalds like pay. That is probably an exaggeration but not a huge one.

It's why I keep saying for one less washed up utility player we could fix a lot of what ails this franchise. 

https://m.facebook.com/WhiteSox/photos/chicago-white-sox-professional-scouts-john-tumminia-and-daraka-shaheed-join-form/10151343431058298/

https://www.recordonline.com/obituaries/pnys0370579

https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-scout-john-tumminia-sets-up-clinics-c211884800

John Tumminia was one of the most experienced scouts and passed away in 2022.  (99% sure his daughter married Ben Cherington, as well.)

He partnered with Shaheed (fired today) to do all kinds of charity baseball camps in the US and across the world, such as Africa and Central America...

8 minutes ago, Johno said:

So help me understand, will there be replacement hires or are they just reducing the scouting department with no plans to replace?

Like usual, the story broke outside of the Chicago media, and nothing has really been asked or said.

Hopefully these were the stupid scouts that didn’t like Norby and De Los Santos as prospects.  The Marlins owned the trade deadline when they moved AJ Puk and Trevor Rogers, both similar assets to what Getz had in Fedde and Kopech, but they got these guys back for them instead of Vargas and infield prospects…

Connor Norby

Deyvison De Los Santos

Good God, Getz and gang suck balls.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

[Fegan] Chris Getz said the influx of ex-Royals is more about relationships with individuals. “[Moustakas] wants to prove that he can still go out there and be a productive Major league player, knowing that he has that baked into his mindset right now, I felt like this was a good idea.”

Just a refresher on the fascination with all things KC...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Does that leave them at zero now?  🤣

It was their analytics department that was really small. Like really small…not the scouting department. Don’t know if that is big or small but Sox analytics is one that is a few while their marketing department is massive…Sox got it all backwards…have good scouts and analytics and development people and you don’t need a marketing team…your product sells itself! 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It was their analytics department that was really small. Like really small…not the scouting department. Don’t know if that is big or small but Sox analytics is one that is a few while their marketing department is massive…Sox got it all backwards…have good scouts and analytics and development people and you don’t need a marketing team…your product sells itself! 

I think it was Jay Cuda who posted that the Sox scouting and analytics departments were one of the smallest in baseball.

And I don't know if this involved the guys who were fired today but I posted what I was told by a source a few weeks ago that the Sox had been paying scouts to stay home the last three months.