White Sox let four scouts go

Sleepy Harold

39 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It was their analytics department that was really small. Like really small…not the scouting department. Don’t know if that is big or small but Sox analytics is one that is a few while their marketing department is massive…Sox got it all backwards…have good scouts and analytics and development people and you don’t need a marketing team…your product sells itself! 

36 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think it was Jay Cuda who posted that the Sox scouting and analytics departments were one of the smallest in baseball.

And I don't know if this involved the guys who were fired today but I posted what I was told by a source a few weeks ago that the Sox had been paying scouts to stay home the last three months. 

Send this to @WestEddy please!

16 hours ago, oldsox said:

I keep thinking of a scene in Moneyball, where Brad Pitt is faced with a room full of old-time scouts, all of whom disagreed with Pitt (Billy Beane).

And now the franchise is barely alive. 

One misconception that I’ve seen is about the pro scouts. These guys are scouting minor league players to acquire via trade. They recommend the trade returns. So the people who hate Chris Getz’s trades should be thrilled that these guys are fired. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

One misconception that I’ve seen is about the pro scouts. These guys are scouting minor league players to acquire via trade. They recommend the trade returns. So the people who hate Chris Getz’s trades should be thrilled that these guys are fired. 

So we still have the same bad pro scouts then?

26 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Scherer was a major league scout. At least he was as of a year or so ago in an article I read. It seemed like they relied on the ex assistant hitting coach for their big deadline deal. I don’t know who recommended the players in the Cease deal, but if these were some of the guys, then Getz admits the return was short. I would have to think the Mena trade was all Barfield. I know 2 of them were responsible for Quintana coming to the White Sox. Looks to me it’s more a purge of KW lackeys.

Edited by Dick Allen

21 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

We should but we also know that as long as JR and Getz are around it will be 100 losses a year. But saving money on payroll will at least help the ROI for the ownership group. 

22 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They stunk too - thanks for that added nugget. I always assumed they spent time doing both and some specialized in minors and others handled more of the advanced scouting and other big league scouting .

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

But did Getz and/or JR actually listen to them still?

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

But did Getz and/or JR actually listen to them still?

They kept them on through the trade deadline and didn't replace them beforehand, so they valued their feedback enough to keep paying them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They kept them on through the trade deadline and didn't replace them beforehand, so they valued their feedback enough to keep paying them.

Yup.  So if Chris thought these guys were good enough to help him through the offseason and the deadline why in the hell should I have any confidence he's going to hire anyone that's actually...good?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

Yup.  So if Chris thought these guys were good enough to help him through the offseason and the deadline why in the hell should I have any confidence he's going to hire anyone that's actually...good?

Or consequently, if Jerry still has the level of control where he just vetoes everything he doesn't like, why should I have faith that Getz can do this job, even if I join in the handwaving away of the past 12 months?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The way most orgs do it the pro guys are assigned 4-5 teams and their responsiblity is the big league team down to the low A team.  Some orgs will assign leagues where one guy gets the midwest and southern league and he's reponsible for all the teams in those leagues.  Amateur scouts will help with pro coverage during the summer when the pro guys get pulled away to see potential trade targets.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Cause only Chris Getz could only take a year to recognize this and fire them. JR told us so.

• Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The way most orgs do it the pro guys are assigned 4-5 teams and their responsiblity is the big league team down to the low A team.  Some orgs will assign leagues where one guy gets the midwest and southern league and he's reponsible for all the teams in those leagues.  Amateur scouts will help with pro coverage during the summer when the pro guys get pulled away to see potential trade targets.

This was how I always thought it worked.  

More info on this situation from a source who knows the scouting/ development baseball world very, very well:

"All pro scouts.

Scherrer definitely didn’t travel. He was their top pro scout. 
Siers based in Florida, responsible for Jose Quintana. Also didn’t travel.
Benedict was a pro scout. Not sure if his travel was curbed.
Daracka had severed ties earlier this summer. Was a KW guy. Heard some bitching about his work ethic."

Also had comments about the job being done by Gene Watson.

Another team's scout had this to say about him: "Never watches game. Should be director of entertainment. Don’t know when Getz will stop going along with him.” 
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, Texsox said:

We should but we also know that as long as JR and Getz are around it will be 100 losses a year. But saving money on payroll will at least help the ROI for the ownership group. 

But Birmingham will be better.

#MakeBirminghamBetter