Gamethread 9/7

T R U

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

It's funny that you think Romy Gonzalez would have a .770 OPS with the White Sox. 

Yeah I’ve pretty much given up thinking other players would be good here. Seems like anyone who puts this jersey on immediately loses all their talents. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

It's funny that you think Romy Gonzalez would have a .770 OPS with the White Sox. 

I'll speed run the discussion 

1. He might if we had Jake McCarthy, Joey Bart and Victor Robles for dirt cheap instead of Fletcher, Maldonado/Chuckie, and, I guess Sheets is the odd man out at this point?

2) Yeah well Barfield made the call on McCarthy vs. Fletcher and Robles + Bart were old, busted prospects. Romy is 27-years-old.

3) The Sox should take fliers on guys who have prior success / big time talent, but have failed elsewhere.

4) Like former 6 WAR All-Star shortstop Nicky Lopez? Or Top 40 prospect Vargas?

5) Waste of money when Romy is cheap. Same for Maldonado, Brebbia and Tim Hill. We could have kept Declan Cronin around.

6) Well, Getz is cleaning house of pro scouts who make bad recommendations.

7) Why did he keep them in the first place? Or let Tosar recommend Vargas?

😎 This is where someone else hops in

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 1

33 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

No, I couldn’t have predicted that but I do know of three players that Getz acquired that don’t — Lopez, Fletcher, and Vargas.  And that’s a fact!

Getz traded for and paid Nicky Lopez $3.5 million dollars more than Romy to put up a 0 WAR and .600 OPS at second base.

🤡

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

22 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'll speed run the discussion 

1. He might if we had Jake McCarthy, Joey Bart and Victor Robles for dirt cheap instead of Fletcher, Maldonado/Chuckie, and, I guess Sheets is the odd man out at this point?

2) Yeah well Barfield made the call on McCarthy vs. Fletcher and Robles + Bart were old, busted prospects. Romy is 27-years-old.

3) The Sox should take fliers on guys who have prior success / big time talent, but have failed elsewhere.

4) Like former 6 WAR All-Star shortstop Nicky Lopez? Or Top 40 prospect Vargas?

5) Waste of money when Romy is cheap. Same for Maldonado, Brebbia and Tim Hill. We could have kept Declan Cronin around.

6) Well, Getz is cleaning house of pro scouts who make bad recommendations.

7) Why did he keep them in the first place? Or let Tosar recommend Vargas?

😎 This is where someone else hops in

It’s really too easy at this point.  Certain posters have been defending Getz all season and yet he didn’t even need a full season to prove how bad his moves are.

The amazing thing is that there is absolutely anyone that would put any effort into trying to defend Getz at this point.

I will add one to your list.  Passing on trading Fedde for 22-year old Twins 2B/CF prospect Luke Keaschall for Vargas.  Keaschall had TJ surgery but he’s younger, hasn’t started his service time yet, and would fit the Sox timeline better than Vargas.  He also hasn’t yet been a complete and utter failure with the bat and glove in the majors like Vargas.  But you can’t trade Fedde within the division!  Wouldn’t want Fedde ruining our chance at competing with the Twins for the division next season in the last year of Fedde’s contract before he hits free agency.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s really too easy at this point.  Certain posters have been defending Getz all season and yet he didn’t even need a full season to prove how bad his moves are.

The amazing thing is that there is absolutely anyone that would put any effort into trying to defend Getz at this point.

I will add one to your list.  Passing on 22-year old Twins 2B/CF prospect Luke Keaschall for Vargas.  Keaschall had TJ surgery but he’s younger, hasn’t started his service time yet, and would fit the Sox timeline better than Vargas.  He also hasn’t yet been a complete and utter failure with the bat and glove in the majors like Vargas.  But you can’t trade Fedde within the division!  Wouldn’t want Fedde ruining our chance at competing with the Twins for the division next season in the last year of Fedde’s contract before he hits free agency.

They traded DeJong to the Royals, so apparently Minnesota Detroit or Cleveland are verboten.

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

What a dumb thing pitching Crochet 2 innings. Just shut him down already. He's not even doing well in this reduced capacity.

They love playing short.  A starting pitcher that you won’t let go 4+ innings when the season has been over for 3 months is completely silly.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He was heating up last season until he got hurt. I don’t think it’s that crazy personally.

Me too, I think they gave up on him way too soon yet we give guys like Sosa forever to figure it out and they never do.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

I really don't think ERA will hurt his trade value. 

Red Sox have been struggling especially with RH power. But yesterday,  the Red Sox were taking  batting practice. The LF wall looked like a Jai-Alai wall. last night. Maybe Crochet should retire for this year before his value runs out. 

From Sox Machine:

*Gonzalez both chased out of the zone and swung-and-missed inside the zone too much to be the X-factor the White Sox relentlessly sold him to be. But his 3-for-4 night with two runs scored reminds he’s substantially improved both in Boston to become a 109 wRC+ hitter while manning six different positions for the Red Sox, after being designated for assignment in January to clear 40-man roster room for John Brebbia. He also stole three bases. Who knew?!

23 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

From Sox Machine:

*Gonzalez both chased out of the zone and swung-and-missed inside the zone too much to be the X-factor the White Sox relentlessly sold him to be. But his 3-for-4 night with two runs scored reminds he’s substantially improved both in Boston to become a 109 wRC+ hitter while manning six different positions for the Red Sox, after being designated for assignment in January to clear 40-man roster room for John Brebbia. He also stole three bases. Who knew?!

We have Jacob Gonzalez instead.