24-25 NFL Thread

We ran the ball 20 times for 70 yards and 40 of those were from Caleb's improvising after he ran away from pressure. You can't setup play action without a run game. So getting any easy chunk plays in the pass game is nearly impossible. Add on to the fact that Caleb isn't making teams pay on deep throws when they play blitz looks and it's just open season on him. Bad line + blitzes + no ability to hurt teams downfield = really shitty offense. 

Caleb is not without criticism because he absolutely should be better. He's looked fine reading defenses for the most part. I was actually surprised at how often he changed things at the line. That's not something a ton of rookie QBs do or even get to do. But it really feels like he has no chemistry with his receivers. Moore and Odunze were obviously not on the same page as Caleb on a lot of those throws in the 2nd half. Moore looked like he wanted Justin Fields back. But the worst thing of all is the accuracy on some of these deep throws. He missed an open DeAndre Carter again. He underthrew Kmet and Moore on his picks. I don't think deep ball accuracy was ever an issue for him in college and you'd think that arm strength and accuracy usually translates from college to the NFL. I hope it's some sort of mechanical issue because that's at least fixable. It's not like he doesn't have a strong arm, he's shown that on quite a few plays so far. 

But the main problem with the offense is the offensive line. They didn't play well last year, but they were not this bad. They can't pick up stunts or any kind of pressure. What's worse is they can't run block either and that was a strength of the line last year. Until they go back to being a somewhat serviceable line, this team is gonna struggle on offense and Caleb is gonna either get hurt or start seeing ghosts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, almagest said:

IMG_0058.jpeg

The Texans figured out we couldn't pick up overloads whatsoever. I don't think Caleb held onto the ball that long in this game. In fact, I think he actually improved on that from last game and I think the TTT metrics will show that. The 36 pressures were mostly a product of a terrible performance from the offensive line. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The Texans figured out we couldn't pick up overloads whatsoever. I don't think Caleb held onto the ball that long in this game. In fact, I think he actually improved on that from last game and I think the TTT metrics will show that. The 36 pressures were mostly a product of a terrible performance from the offensive line. 

Terrible performance by oline and also a poor job of offensive coordinator doing anything to slow down the rush or test some good double moves. 

Caleb was better than the week before and thank goodness he didn’t get hurt. He made progress though - was he good, no, but he grew. I think we are going to see a wow game in the next 1-2 weeks or at least a wow half. 

Williams will be fine.  I am not certain what the coaching can do other then keep two tight ends in to block. 

The coaching on offense has been deplorable but this goes to Poles for paying Nate fucking Davis and thinking Coleman Shelton was the answer at center.  I know Ryan Bates was to be in the picture but he wasn't the starter last week.

Waldron is looking a lot like Getsy in bringing in his guy at center and it failing miserably.  I miss Cody Whitehair.

That being said the defense is amazing. 

While the O line wasn’t good, give some credit to the Texans too. That D line is legit. The personnel are strong and Ryans seems excellent at pushing an offenses weaknesses. 

It felt like watching a young team with a stout defense and a rookie QB last night, up against a team with a more experienced QB. Both sides did damage but Stroud limited the silly plays (the long Int, the blind side sack by Hunter on a play that should have been a screen come to mind) and Stroud did a better job of nailing the “how the hell did he find that guy open” throws, mostly to Collins.

I thought the difference in the game was not the O line as much as it was Williams played like a rookie. Did not hit his receivers when they had space and did not know how to find a weakness in that defense. Showed promise but still early on a learning curve. The one thing that is different is that his opponent, Stroud, was a long ways ahead of this point last year after game 2.

Also, that was way too many false starts for a pro offense, did the coaches not work with anything on volume this week? And that second half wasted timeout-challenge was awful, that could easily have been a difference maker at the end.

33 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Williams will be fine.  I am not certain what the coaching can do other then keep two tight ends in to block. 

The coaching on offense has been deplorable but this goes to Poles for paying Nate fucking Davis and thinking Coleman Shelton was the answer at center.  I know Ryan Bates was to be in the picture but he wasn't the starter last week.

Waldron is looking a lot like Getsy in bringing in his guy at center and it failing miserably.  I miss Cody Whitehair.

That being said the defense is amazing. 

Bro Cody Whitehair was one of the worst centers and O lineman in the league last year.  This isn’t Waldron’s preferred center, Coleman Shelton is only starting because Ryan Bates is hurt 

they had a lot of money to spend this offseason and they really were frugal with O line, and it is really showing out 

59 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bro Cody Whitehair was one of the worst centers and O lineman in the league last year.  This isn’t Waldron’s preferred center, Coleman Shelton is only starting because Ryan Bates is hurt 

they had a lot of money to spend this offseason and they really were frugal with O line, and it is really showing out 

I wasn't seriously advocating for Whitehair's return but Shelton is a disaster.

If Bates injury in camp is why he didn't start week 1, fine but if they traded for him and were starting Davis and Shelton over him week one, that's concerning.