24-25 NFL Thread

I think the line stuff is a lot on morgan/waldron.

We saw an interior that could move guys well last year in the run game, now they are getting swallowed up.

The assumption is always the good stuff wasn't an oc and the bad stuff gets fixed, but Getsy was legitimately good at scheming the run, we went from bad to good under him, but people attributed all of it to Fields. We see that wasn't the case. Despite two pretty sweet RBs in Seattle, waldron's run game was poor. Our thought was Chris Morgan as run game coordinator would fix it. I'd give that to Thomas Brown immediately.

54 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think the line stuff is a lot on morgan/waldron.

We saw an interior that could move guys well last year in the run game, now they are getting swallowed up.

The assumption is always the good stuff wasn't an oc and the bad stuff gets fixed, but Getsy was legitimately good at scheming the run, we went from bad to good under him, but people attributed all of it to Fields. We see that wasn't the case. Despite two pretty sweet RBs in Seattle, waldron's run game was poor. Our thought was Chris Morgan as run game coordinator would fix it. I'd give that to Thomas Brown immediately.

Is Waldron already on the hot seat? One offensive touchdown over the first two games is no bueno. 

38 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Is Waldron already on the hot seat? One offensive touchdown over the first two games is no bueno. 

I'm disappointed in him, especially given how Klint Kubiak in New Orleans has looked. Seattle may well have just been functional due to Geno.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm disappointed in him, especially given how Klint Kubiak in New Orleans has looked. Seattle may well have just been functional due to Geno.

I just don't like the fact that in key 3rd down's we see Homer and Everett (his former players) on the field a ton.  Herbert and Swift are much better players as is Kmet.  Don't get cute - get your best players out there and scheme them appropriately. With that in mind - these were 2 good defensive fronts the Bears faced the past 2 weeks, so hopefully those challenges early test them, but don't break them, and Caleb, Waldron, the oline and the whole rest of the offensive unit cause use those challenges early to grow and develop into a better team.

It is clear to me that the probability of Bears sending Caleb to a completely new system are real...which just kills me cause its what the Bears do.  But I'm going to for now - hope that they can right the ship and 3 weeks from now we are having a very different conversation as we are seeing the arrow continue to trend positively.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I just don't like the fact that in key 3rd down's we see Homer and Everett (his former players) on the field a ton.  Herbert and Swift are much better players as is Kmet.  Don't get cute - get your best players out there and scheme them appropriately. With that in mind - these were 2 good defensive fronts the Bears faced the past 2 weeks, so hopefully those challenges early test them, but don't break them, and Caleb, Waldron, the oline and the whole rest of the offensive unit cause use those challenges early to grow and develop into a better team.

It is clear to me that the probability of Bears sending Caleb to a completely new system are real...which just kills me cause its what the Bears do.  But I'm going to for now - hope that they can right the ship and 3 weeks from now we are having a very different conversation as we are seeing the arrow continue to trend positively.  

Around the league, there are only a handful of teams that actually look elite right now. The Bears sure don't look like a 4-13 team, and they don't look like a 13-4 team. While you hope things trend positively soon, right now they're in that giant middle of the pack.

The Texans, in my eyes, are one of the teams that look elite right now. They are winning close games rather than blowouts so far, this is true, but they play really tough defensive football and have a lot at the skill positions. Injuries could change things and they could always "Eagles" the 2nd half or something like that, but I think the Bears just gave a tough game to a 12+ win team with a QB in his 2nd game, didn't look the best, but still held their own.

Question is, do you change systems if the coach wins 7-8 games? 

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Around the league, there are only a handful of teams that actually look elite right now. The Bears sure don't look like a 4-13 team, and they don't look like a 13-4 team. While you hope things trend positively soon, right now they're in that giant middle of the pack.

The Texans, in my eyes, are one of the teams that look elite right now. They are winning close games rather than blowouts so far, this is true, but they play really tough defensive football and have a lot at the skill positions. Injuries could change things and they could always "Eagles" the 2nd half or something like that, but I think the Bears just gave a tough game to a 12+ win team with a QB in his 2nd game, didn't look the best, but still held their own.

Question is, do you change systems if the coach wins 7-8 games? 

It depends - how did they finish the season.  If the offense is trending up and looking pretty dynamic and defense is consistently playing well...than I probably stay status quo. If it is more like last year and offense is still a mess, than I think the Bears might go another direction.  I hope Caleb takes multiple steps this year and defense can help enough and they end up 10+ wins and good momentum late (even though it is tougher part of the schedule).  

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He wasn't pressured on all but 1 dropback. That's 38 total pressures on 39 pass attempts. There can be multiple pressures on a single play. That's bad to begin with, but it's not like he was pressured on every single play. It was something like 23 out of 39. Which is still objectively awful, but nowhere near as disastrous as 38 of 39 pass attempts. 

But like I said yesterday, the TTT metrics are saying he's getting rid of the ball quickly and that's what I saw last night. He's not trying to hit the home run ball on every play. He's playing within structure. It's just that the offensive line absolutely blows and he can't hit the deep shots when they're there. All the criticisms of Caleb's game coming out of college have not really come to fruition at the pro level. It's actually a lot of his strengths in college that haven't translated so far. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He wasn't pressured on all but 1 dropback. That's 38 total pressures on 39 pass attempts. There can be multiple pressures on a single play. That's bad to begin with, but it's not like he was pressured on every single play. It was something like 23 out of 39. Which is still objectively awful, but nowhere near as disastrous as 38 of 39 pass attempts. 

But point is - it was pretty bad. I will point out - on the blitz, he wasn't getting the ball out quick to his hot routes. Given he wasn't blitzed a ton in week 1 (Titans interior was generating enough pressure on its own)...I'm not surprised he struggled out of the gate (hence why a lot of teams blitz rookie / young QB's a ton).  So Caleb did a pretty good job on the non blitz situations of getting ball out quick...he was not quick when the blitz came...now not all of those pressures were on the blitz either but they got to get better at beating the blitz...but to say it is surprising for a young QB to struggle against the blitz...no...now lets see how he uses the film and experience to grow.  

27 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

But point is - it was pretty bad. I will point out - on the blitz, he wasn't getting the ball out quick to his hot routes. Given he wasn't blitzed a ton in week 1 (Titans interior was generating enough pressure on its own)...I'm not surprised he struggled out of the gate (hence why a lot of teams blitz rookie / young QB's a ton).  So Caleb did a pretty good job on the non blitz situations of getting ball out quick...he was not quick when the blitz came...now not all of those pressures were on the blitz either but they got to get better at beating the blitz...but to say it is surprising for a young QB to struggle against the blitz...no...now lets see how he uses the film and experience to grow.  

Rather than holding the ball too long (again excluding that blind side sack), I thought his problem was much more accuracy and decision making under pressure. Too many balls by Odunze’s feet or bombs into triple coverage.

A lot of that is expected as a rookie against a really good defense. Some of that is improvable, even quickly if the coaches are good at teaching.

If he was able to hit some more of those quick routes, that would also help his O line, as they said during the game this was the most that any Ryans coached defense had even blitzed during a game. Getting those balls onto a receivers hands under pressure would limit the defenses ability to do that.

They attacked him like a rookie QB and he looked like a rookie QB. Next step is learning from it.

49 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It depends - how did they finish the season.  If the offense is trending up and looking pretty dynamic and defense is consistently playing well...than I probably stay status quo. If it is more like last year and offense is still a mess, than I think the Bears might go another direction.  I hope Caleb takes multiple steps this year and defense can help enough and they end up 10+ wins and good momentum late (even though it is tougher part of the schedule).  

Back in either Jan or Feb, whenever they decided not to fire him, I said you had to commit to 2 years, barring a complete disaster, for exactly this reason. A rookie QB looked like a normal rookie QB and that was key in a loss to a very good, well coached team. This would have happened with literally any head coach yesterday I think, in almost the same way.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Back in either Jan or Feb, whenever they decided not to fire him, I said you had to commit to 2 years, barring a complete disaster, for exactly this reason. A rookie QB looked like a normal rookie QB and that was key in a loss to a very good, well coached team. This would have happened with literally any head coach yesterday I think, in almost the same way.

I think the above is very true.  

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean Eberflus' defense is legit. I think that's the only reason he still has a job and it's what's going to keep him in this job as long as he stops doing dumb challenges on obvious plays. 

It's stuff like that that still makes me think this will improve. I saw them play last year, they aren't this bad. There is some major miscommunication on blocking scheme and the sights need to be directly on chris morgan. I would imagine stuff like that that looks so bad could have wright assuming he's got backup with the rb, who instead is delaying out up the middle. They should be embarrassed, hope they come out ready to play. They are not this bad.

5 hours ago, bmags said:

It's stuff like that that still makes me think this will improve. I saw them play last year, they aren't this bad. There is some major miscommunication on blocking scheme and the sights need to be directly on chris morgan. I would imagine stuff like that that looks so bad could have wright assuming he's got backup with the rb, who instead is delaying out up the middle. They should be embarrassed, hope they come out ready to play. They are not this bad.

Except on the play Ace posted above, Wright literally never takes his eyes off of 55. It's clear that's his assignment, and his body language says the same thing. It seems like he anticipated 55 cutting in (which never happens) but that was incredibly poor effort/technique/everything. 

Chris Morgan DOES deserve a very close looking at, especially considering us knowing he was promoted to run game coordinator, somewhat of a strength of the team last year with mostly the same O-Line, and it's been horrific this year...but the play specifically posted really shouldn't relate to coaching, that type of "effort" should NEVER happen, and that falls on the player.