Skip Schumaker — Sox 1st choice at manager

WhiteSox2023

47 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I doubt Skip wants to manage a team with such a horrid pitching staff (without Crochet) and lineup in which your big guys are Andrew and Gavin (Robert is still maddening as he hits about .230 and still could be traded as part of the tank philosophy of acquiring prospects). I do respect Andrew for hanging in there. Now he's hitting again. Gavin seems to do OK when he decides to go oppo field.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What is Paul Konerko up to these days?  Hell, Jerry might still be able to player/manage him and improve the DH position for sure 

I doubt he would want to leave his 16,000-square foot home in Scottsdale, Arizona for this s%*# show.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I doubt Skip wants to manage a team with such a horrid pitching staff (without Crochet) and lineup in which your big guys are Andrew and Gavin (Robert is still maddening as he hits about .230 and still could be traded as part of the tank philosophy of acquiring prospects). I do respect Andrew for hanging in there. Now he's hitting again. Gavin seems to do OK when he decides to go oppo field.

Does he want to live in Chicago and get paid a bunch of money? What other gigs are available besides the one he's vacating? Seattle? I'm not sure that franchise is in any better position re: ownership or frankly re: players. 

43 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Does he want to live in Chicago and get paid a bunch of money? What other gigs are available besides the one he's vacating? Seattle? I'm not sure that franchise is in any better position re: ownership or frankly re: players. 

Are you serious?  The Mariners are at least a .500 team right now (actually 73-71), have the 7th ranked farm system per Baseball America, and they are willing to spend money.

If you were a quality manager, would you choose to sign with Jerry and the White Sox who are going to set the worst record in MLB history this season, are rumored to drop their payroll to $100 million this offseason, or the Mariners?  Do you typically enjoy career suicide?

Quite honestly, it’s hard to think of a worse team for a manager to choose than the White Sox.

Also, the only manager Jerry was willing to pay big bucks anytime recently was his buddy TLR.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Wait what?  Are you referring to potential job security?  Because literally everything else about the White Sox job is the worst in baseball 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Are you serious?  The Mariners are at least a .500 team right now (actually 73-71), have the 7th ranked farm system per Baseball America, and they are willing to spend money.

If you were a quality manager, would you choose to sign with Jerry and the White Sox who are going to set the worst record in MLB history this season, are rumored to drop their payroll to $100 million this offseason, or the Mariners?  Do you typically enjoy career suicide?

Quite honestly, it’s hard to think of a worse team for a manager to choose than the White Sox.

Also, the only manager Jerry was willing to pay big bucks anytime recently was his buddy TLR.

Why is he leaving his current job if he's great? Just wondering. I don't follow baseball closely anymore.

Are we still doing this? I thought we've been through countless "yeah and [insert some smoke show] is my first choice to date" jokes already. Boob has been reporting this for over a month - and it doesn't mean a thing when we just aren't an attractive landing spot.

As countless others have said, we can have our preferences all we want, but that doesn't mean they want us.

Though I guess I'll take these reports over "Tony LaRussa is our first choice", so take the good with the bad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nrockway said:

Does he want to live in Chicago and get paid a bunch of money? What other gigs are available besides the one he's vacating? Seattle? I'm not sure that franchise is in any better position re: ownership or frankly re: players

LMAO

1 hour ago, bobbydanks said:

My best friend is a Marlins fan and he traded me a Charles Johnson card for a Juan Pierre card. that's kinda what this is 

Ah Juan Pierre. I really used to blast him on this forum. I did not like him. Now? Juan Pierre would be fine on this team. One of the best players for sure.

I doubt Schumacher will be high on the Sox, he’ll probably want to go to a team that’s closer to winning, and whose window is open now. The Sox have another building season or two before they can seriously think about being competitive on any level. They should definitely go after a young manager who has ample experience in player development. 

2 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

I doubt Schumacher will be high on the Sox, he’ll probably want to go to a team that’s closer to winning, and whose window is open now. The Sox have another building season or two before they can seriously think about being competitive on any level. They should definitely go after a young manager who has ample experience in player development. 

The Sox would have to give him a 5 year contract.

6 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The Sox would have to give him a 5 year contract.

Which is something they should do if he's the guy but I'm hoping the conduct a search and interview a bunch of people even if they end up with Schumacher