Skip Schumaker — Sox 1st choice at manager

WhiteSox2023

11 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Which is something they should do if he's the guy but I'm hoping the conduct a search and interview a bunch of people even if they end up with Schumacher

It's him or the third base coach, that is it. 

While there are limited amount of these jobs, the White Sox are currently where people come for their career to die. 

15 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Which is something they should do if he's the guy but I'm hoping the conduct a search and interview a bunch of people even if they end up with Schumacher

Agree, I’m not sure if Schumacher is the guy, like you said, they need to conduct a thorough search and wind up with the best guy available, if Schumacher is the guy then go with him.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

13 hours ago, greg775 said:

Ah Juan Pierre. I really used to blast him on this forum. I did not like him. Now? Juan Pierre would be fine on this team. One of the best players for sure.

Maybe he's open to the manager position.  What better person to manage a team of scrappy, slap-hitting players than him?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, nrockway said:

Does he want to live in Chicago and get paid a bunch of money? What other gigs are available besides the one he's vacating? Seattle? I'm not sure that franchise is in any better position re: ownership or frankly re: players. 

Seattle is a better situation by almost any metric.  Stanton is a much better owner than JR.  Dipoto and Hollander are far more favorable than the Sox “single decision maker” Chris Getz and the corpse of TLR.  The Mariners have given out a contract over $100m, hell Julio is almost 3x their largest contract.  Their average attendance in a smaller market is over 10k higher than the White Sox.  They have actually made FA acquisitions like Nelson Cruz, Robinson Cano, Ichiro Suzuki.  It’s a ridiculously better spot for any GM offered the job.  We can also mention that Washington has no state income tax which is a pretty big deal for someone making a few million dollars when compared to Illinois. Chicago is a better city, that’s about it.  However, Seattle is a pretty good urban city as well.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

Seattle is a better situation by almost any metric.  Stanton is a much better owner than JR.  Dipoto and Hollander are far more favorable than the Sox “single decision maker” Chris Getz and the corpse of TLR.  The Mariners have given out a contract over $100m, hell Julio is almost 3x their largest contract.  Their average attendance in a smaller market is over 10k higher than the White Sox.  They have actually made FA acquisitions like Nelson Cruz, Robinson Cano, Ichiro Suzuki.  It’s a ridiculously better spot for any GM offered the job.  We can also mention that Washington has no state income tax which is a pretty big deal for someone making a few million dollars when compared to Illinois. Chicago is a better city, that’s about it.  However, Seattle is a pretty good urban city as well.

Stanton is cheap and Dipoto can't identify productive offensive players to save his life, but the organization from top to bottom is in far far better shape than the White Sox. Not that it matters, Dan Wilson was named manager, not interim, when Servais was let go, so they won't be on the hunt for a new manager this winter.

4 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

They are not three years away.

Man, three years is a long time to stink. Almost an entire college career. ... Going from a little kid (10) to a teenager (13). ... For most people an entire tenure at their first real job. Woe.Is.Us.Sox.Fans.

47 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Man, three years is a long time to stink. Almost an entire college career. ... Going from a little kid (10) to a teenager (13). ... For most people an entire tenure at their first real job. Woe.Is.Us.Sox.Fans.

They are at least a Bachelor’s and Masters degree away.  Hopefully not a Doctorate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

Sox would have to overpay Skip to come here.  I'm predicting they end up bringing in a guy who has zero MLB managing experience, a guy who doesn't have any leverage at all

How bout Ozzie or Joe Maddon. Both know Chicago and both have managed winners. Let's face it the manager means nothing when the team is this bad personnel wise. So give it to somebody who will gladly take the money and yet aggressive enough to ask for talent. It's not like Skip is Earl Weaver for gosh sakes.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens once Schumaker turns the Sox down.

If he really has competition for his services does anyone see Jerry winning a bidding war?  Be really interesting to see the move after that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If he really has competition for his services does anyone see Jerry winning a bidding war?  Be really interesting to see the move after that.

Nope.  The Sox will then pivot and say that they loved what they saw from Sizemore working with the young players, and that Grady convinced them to hire him full-time.  🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nope.  The Sox will then pivot and say that they loved what they saw from Sizemore working with the young players, and that Grady convinced them to hire him full-time.  🤣

It would be funny to see someone who’s smarter than me get ChatGPT to come up with Getz’s statement post Sizemore hire.

5 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

I'll be the contrarian and speculate that Sizemore has no interest in being the full-time manager, and is just doing the club a favor by filling in for the remainder of this year.

Honestly, I hope so because that indicates self awareness.

He might be the best manager in baseball someday, but he just took 6 years away from baseball to raise his kids. He hasn’t even been an assistant coach, a bench coach, a base coach, or a skills coach, until literally starting this year. 

Him thinking he’s ready for a big league manager job would be like Getz thinking he’s ready for a GM job, it would be kind of overconfident mistake that shatters a billion dollar business.