USA Today headline: Dodgers pulled a heist getting Kopech from the Sox for no key prospects

hankchifan

Getz pulled off one of the worst trades of the season, giving up Kopech to the Dodgers for essentially Vargas, and not any of the top Dodgers prospects, in which the USA Today called a heist.  Kopech is 3-0 with a 0.50 ERA and has turned the Dodgers bullpen around. Has Getz done any great tradea for the Sox?.  His trade returns have been terrible IMO.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 5

We'll see. 

They were very happy with Lance Lynn until he gave up four home runs in a row in the playoffs. I am confident that Kopech has that type of performance in him when the Dodgers really need to rely on him. Well, maybe not four home runs in a row, but certainly a 4-run 9th. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

31 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Getz pulled off one of the worst trades of the season, giving up Kopech to the Dodgers for essentially Vargas, and not any of the top Dodgers prospects, in which the USA Today called a heist.  Kopech is 3-0 with a 0.50 ERA and has turned the Dodgers bullpen around. Has Getz done any great tradea for the Sox?.  His trade returns have been terrible IMO.

Yikes. He was gawd awful, no other way to put it, in the Chicago pen this season. How are the other guys we traded doing? I think the Royals are happy with DeBong. I don't know how Pham is doing or if he plays much. Hows our guy Burger doing these days? Eloy?

Edited by greg775

46 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Nightengale is generally derided as a hack, until he writes a negative sentence about the White Sox, then he becomes Edward R. Murrow. 

Nightengale has been long rumored to be a mouthpiece for Kenny and Jerry, so it is a surprise he now seems to be taking more shots at the Sox recently.

Regardless, what did he say that wasn’t true?  You must really like Vargas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Kopech had a near perfect July and another year of control. There was no objective urgency to move him. 
it’s like Getz is getting advice from the people he’s trading with. Ridiculously naïve. 

The article even mentioned that Kopech’s last really good ~5 innings with the Sox were part of the reason the Dodgers made the trade for him.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The article even mentioned that Kopech’s last really good ~5 innings with the Sox are part of the reason the Dodgers made the trade.

Trades like this are weird cause as much as I despised Kopech, the Sox are gonna have to acquire some relievers again this offseason. If any are worth a bleep the Sox will have to either pay some good $$ in free agency or trade for some Kopech-like guys. Same with Crochet. They trade him, they'll need somebody capable of a clean 5 2/3 to acquire. That's why greg has always been against tanking and trading anybody with a pulse. Kopech blew chunks but he had a pulse. Now the Sox are gonna have to find some Kopeches and Roberts and Crochets when they deal them. Weird way to build a team. Anyway we can get Dombrosky to end his career here? Or somebody with a clue? How many years do the Sox wanna win 38-50 games? Geez.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

All Kopech had to do was listen to coaching,  and he refused to do it here.

He's pitched 16.1 innings with the Dodgers and pitched 376 with the Sox. Do you really think he's any different? All it took was a week of a new coach? That was the difference between Kopech being a bust with the Sox, a former top prospect who crumbled for reasons we know all too well, and the best reliever in the game with the Dodgers? Some guy in LA making a couple good points? If it was so straightforward, couldn't he have done that earlier and potentially earned himself a lot more money? Maybe he'd even still be starting, right. Or could it simply be that it's not a very large sample size and variance in pitchers' performance is incredibly high?

The "Lol Sox" narrative sort of overrides common sense. I would expect fans who follow the team closely over several years to know better than journalists who want to ride some popular narrative for the sake of their careers (dodgers good, sox bad, best of both worlds. double the ppc revenue). I'm glad Kopech is pitching well and I hope it lasts, I hope he becomes great. It's just a silly narrative to think after the fact that he had all this value. Personally I thought at the start of the season we could've gotten Jonathan India for him. That seemed like a reasonable trade for both teams. Or a player like that. Maybe Vargas is a player like that (neither are very good). Maybe Kopech returns to normal and he's not suddenly a pitcher who doesn't walk anybody or give up any home runs. Maybe it doesn't happen in the postseason the same way it did with Lynn. I'm gonna take the career averages on this one, frankly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, nrockway said:

He's pitched 16.1 innings with the Dodgers and pitched 376 with the Sox. Do you really think he's any different? All it took was a week of a new coach? That was the difference between Kopech being a bust with the Sox, a former top prospect who crumbled for reasons we know all too well, and the best reliever in the game with the Dodgers? Some guy in LA making a couple good points? If it was so straightforward, couldn't he have done that earlier and potentially earned himself a lot more money? Maybe he'd even still be starting, right. Or could it simply be that it's not a very large sample size and variance in pitchers' performance is incredibly high?

The "Lol Sox" narrative sort of overrides common sense. I would expect fans who follow the team closely over several years to know better than journalists who want to ride some popular narrative for the sake of their careers (dodgers good, sox bad, best of both worlds. double the ppc revenue). I'm glad Kopech is pitching well and I hope it lasts, I hope he becomes great. It's just a silly narrative to think after the fact that he had all this value. Personally I thought at the start of the season we could've gotten Jonathan India for him. That seemed like a reasonable trade for both teams. Or a player like that. Maybe Vargas is a player like that (neither are very good). Maybe Kopech returns to normal and he's not suddenly a pitcher who doesn't walk anybody or give up any home runs. Maybe it doesn't happen in the postseason the same way it did with Lynn. I'm gonna take the career averages on this one, frankly. 

Well, Kopech did have 5.1 scoreless innings before he left the Sox so he’s been good for about 21.2 innings straight.

India is mediocre and is a free agent in two seasons so he wouldn’t make much sense for the Sox to acquire, but neither did Vargas who is terrible.

And the “LOL Sox” narrative is a thing.  They have the worst owner and GM in baseball, which is why they are going to set the record for futility.  Amazing that anyone would even try to defend the Sox or that almost everything involved with the team isn’t an epic failure.  Do people not understand the record they are about to set?  Fletcher, Vargas, etc., etc.  It’s one big gigantic embarrassing mess.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nrockway said:

That's a lot of words that don't actually change any of the facts at hand.

1. Kopech flat out stated he wasn't listening to White Sox coaches.

2. Kopech is killing it in LA.

I don't blame the Sox for that, I blame Michael Kopech for being uncoachable.

• Like 2

I know we all wanted to keep him and build a pen around him. :ph34r: We would have agreed if Getz and Pedro said he was so close to being lights out and he just needed a little more time. 

I'm outraged that with teams  lined up offering a king's ransom for his services that Getz took the lowest offer. 

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

No s%*# Sherlock. 

Hey, that's not your line!

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Eh, part of me thinks that we got the complete opposite problem of what we were worried about with Tony. We all thought he'd be a hard ass and kill a good clubhouse, but instead the clubhouse ran wild and egos were left unchecked. Pedro continued it.

Kopech shares blame, but, like a lot of issues, we can trace some of this back to TLR.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

You blame a guy for being uncoachable, when he got traded and ....immediately started listening to the coaches in an organization that isn't incompetent top to bottom? Weird take. Plenty of terrible coaches up and down professional sports that players don't respect and listen to. It's why most of them end up having short careers... I blame the White Sox for employing a bunch of fucking morons that players know don't have a fucking clue what they're talking about.

I've played and coached a lot of sports, and know plenty of coaches who EVERYONE knew was clueless.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

Yikes. He was gawd awful, no other way to put it, in the Chicago pen this season. How are the other guys we traded doing? I think the Royals are happy with DeBong. I don't know how Pham is doing or if he plays much. Hows our guy Burger doing these days? Eloy?

Man you really get a kick out of DeBong don’t you 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

You blame a guy for being uncoachable, when he got traded and ....immediately started listening to the coaches in an organization that isn't incompetent top to bottom? Weird take. Plenty of terrible coaches up and down professional sports that players don't respect and listen to. It's why most of them end up having short careers... I blame the White Sox for employing a bunch of fucking morons that players know don't have a fucking clue what they're talking about.

I've played and coached a lot of sports, and know plenty of coaches who EVERYONE knew was clueless.

When to comes to pitching?  Yeah I blame him.

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

When to comes to pitching?  Yeah I blame him.

I don't blame a single player on the Sox if they tune out the coaching staff. If it is clear to fans that these guys are incompetent morons, how clear do you think it is to professional baseball players who have played for great baseball coaches most of their lives? Nah. Agree to disagree here. Way too many examples of players(pitchers especially) who leave this organization and improve elsewhere. They are the laughing stock of baseball(professional sports actually) and every single player/coach in the MLB knows it.

• Haha 1

Cant wait until the Dodgers are able to turn Kopech into a decent back of the rotation guy.  This little nugget from the article was pretty good too.

“DeJong has been fabulous since leaving the White Sox, hitting six home runs and driving in 15 runs”

• Haha 1