USA Today headline: Dodgers pulled a heist getting Kopech from the Sox for no key prospects

hankchifan

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

Cant wait until the Dodgers are able to turn Kopech into a decent back of the rotation guy.  This little nugget from the article was pretty good too.

“DeJong has been fabulous since leaving the White Sox, hitting six home runs and driving in 15 runs”

Again it must be so refreshing and mentally encouraging for any player to get out of this incompetent organization. Losing begats losing and given the state of the franchise you can understand why unconsciously guys just don't do well in this environment. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Man you really get a kick out of DeBong don’t you 

It was my way of always disapproving of his acquisition. Didn't need to be playing that guy over anybody young. I'd rush Montgomery. The Royals are in the playoffs cause of 1 1/2 players, Witt and Salvy. And here we think we have to tear it all down. Take your good players, baby, and pair 'em with a superstar or two (Robert, Eloy, Monte, Crochet). Coach up Robert and Eloy to be special since they were supposed to be special.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Again it must be so refreshing and mentally encouraging for any player to get out of this incompetent organization. Losing begats losing and given the state of the franchise you can understand why unconsciously guys just don't do well in this environment. 

True. You get a hit or a HR and it means something with KC, not with our team.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

It was my way of always disapproving of his acquisition. Didn't need to be playing that guy over anybody young. I'd rush Montgomery. The Royals are in the playoffs cause of 1 1/2 players, Witt and Salvy. And here we think we have to tear it all down. Take your good players, baby, and pair 'em with a superstar or two (Robert, Eloy, Monte, Crochet). Coach up Robert and Eloy to be special since they were supposed to be special.

Sure...rush a guy who has had injury issues and this year needed an eight game hitting streak to up his average to .217.

Rush a kid up into this toxic environment.

Right...😆

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 4:10 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

The trade was going to look lopsided no matter what we traded. Kopech sucked and we needed to move on. Everyone knew he would pitch better somewhere else.

Katz surviving The Culling is nuts, hopefully the new manager gets to pick his own guys

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 2:30 PM, GreenSox said:

Kopech had a near perfect July and another year of control. There was no objective urgency to move him. 
it’s like Getz is getting advice from the people he’s trading with. Ridiculously naïve. 

Truth. He had started to turn it around after he started trusting his coaches.

This is not unique to him. But the Sox could have said let's keep him and see how he pitches the rest of the year instead of treating him as a throw-in  in the trade.

With so few Sox pitchers with pure good stuff he's the kind of guy who can turn it around in a heartbeat once he trusts the process. He fought it. He wanted to keep starting instead of just finding a spot he could be good at if he had more of an open mind.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Truth. He had started to turn it around after he started trusting his coaches.

This is not unique to him. But the Sox could have said let's keep him and see how he pitches the rest of the year instead of treating him as a throw-in  in the trade.

With so few Sox pitchers with pure good stuff he's the kind of guy who can turn it around in a heartbeat once he trusts the process. He fought it. He wanted to keep starting instead of just finding a spot he could be good at if he had more of an open mind.

With him not having that much control remaining, taking anything for him isn’t a bad move. There’s a substantial risk the White Sox would nontender him even after a good second half. Kopech for Vargas makes sense, you get something for him that has multiple years of control that the Dodgers don’t need.

Frankly that’s basically the deal the Dodgers got.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

With him not having that much control remaining, taking anything for him isn’t a bad move. There’s a substantial risk the White Sox would nontender him even after a good second half. Kopech for Vargas makes sense, you get something for him that has multiple years of control that the Dodgers don’t need.

Frankly that’s basically the deal the Dodgers got.

Then what did we get for Fedde if we got Vargas for Kopech ?

It wouldnt have been a bad idea to hold him . I have no idea if his success with the Dodgers will continue to next season but you don't nontender that kind of arm if he had kept pitching like he has since before and after the trade.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Sure...rush a guy who has had injury issues and this year needed an eight game hitting streak to up his average to .217.

Right...😆

The Royals rushed Witt. He was on the team in their 100 loss season.

57 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Additional praise for the GM.

57 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Additional praise for the GM.

47 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I thought the trade was basically Fedde and Pham for Edman, who was the flipped to the Dodgers with Kopech for Vargas and the two infielder prospects (Perez and Albertus).

The main result of all theSox trading moves has been a salary dump benefiting JR’s pocket.  We just got back mostly cheap inferior players.  If we held and managed our situation better the last couple of years we could have had a starting rotation of Cease,  ReyLo, Crochet, Fedde and a bullpen led by Bummer and Kopech, and led by a new pitching coach anda better manager and GM.  IMO.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Right...😆

I would Keep any high ceiling prospect as far away from the current environment as possible.  Of course it will be no better for the foreseeable future but I dont see the benefit of having a couple struggling MiLB players in the clubhouse for a team about to set the all time loss record in front of near zero fans, with a largely incompetent coaching staff, a highly unqualified GM, possibly the worst owner in professional sports.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Right...😆

Fast forward to Spring Training. Montgomery will be there as non-roster player.  See how he does. If he looks like the best shortstop on the team, play him. 2025 is not rushing it for him. If he plays poorly in ST, send him back to Charlotte.

I remember when Rockies brought up Tulo.  They rushed him, but there was something about the kid; he just seemed to change the attitude of the whole team.  Plus, he played well.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Fast forward to Spring Training. Montgomery will be there as non-roster player.  See how he does. If he looks like the best shortstop on the team, play him. 2025 is not rushing it for him. If he plays poorly in ST, send him back to Charlotte.

I remember when Rockies brought up Tulo.  They rushed him, but there was something about the kid; he just seemed to change the attitude of the whole team.  Plus, he played well.

Tulo also put up a 291/.370/.473/.843 with only 71 Ks in 485 PA in his last full MiLB season.  If Colson had done that, he'd already be here too.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

I think he actually needs to placed on the 40-man roster this off-season. I could be wrong though but that's why I am reading the rule.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Tulo also put up a 291/.370/.473/.843 with only 71 Ks in 485 PA in his last full MiLB season.  If Colson had done that, he'd already be here too.

Correct.  My point is they rushed Tulo, and it worked out fine. He came up from AA, bypassing AAA.

58 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Len was talking yesterday and said there was the misconception the Dodgers fixed Kopech. He pointed out that Kopech was fixed before being traded. Makes the trade that much worse.

He did have like 5.1 scoreless innings pitched with the Sox, right before he was traded.  I don’t know if that means the Sox “fixed” Kopech or not but that’s what happened.  Supposedly, it’s one of the reasons the Dodgers acquired him.

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He did have like 5.1 scoreless innings pitched with the Sox, right before he was traded.  I don’t know if that means the Sox “fixed” Kopech or not but that’s what happened.  Supposedly, it’s one of the reasons the Dodgers acquired him.

They spent the entire season trying to get him to through the fastball less.  Kopech even talks about how he didn't listen to them for various reasons.  When he hits the immaculate inning, he seemed shocked that listening to coaching actually worked and talked about his hadn't been listening to the coaches.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They spent the entire season trying to get him to through the fastball less.  Kopech even talks about how he didn't listen to them for various reasons.  When he hits the immaculate inning, he seemed shocked that listening to coaching actually worked and talked about his hadn't been listening to the coaches.

Yep, this article discusses that…

“Michael Kopech has an elite fastball; his Dodgers success comes from throwing it less“

4 hours ago, oldsox said:

Correct.  My point is they rushed Tulo, and it worked out fine. He came up from AA, bypassing AAA.

Great, it clearly has not worked for this player whatsoever.  

Put him at Charlotte and let him actually look like a ball player at least for a month. Right now he looks like he’d fit on the White Sox.

• Like 1