Why everyone so high on

The Beast

We're splitting hairs here, but Rauch is not and was not considered a power pitcher. There is a middle ground between a finesse pitcher and a power pitcher.

The bottom line is he has a chance to contribute and this is his year to step up. I hope he does well, but based on concerns mentioned earlier, I have my doubts he will be as good as expected. Could he be a solid #5 starter? Hope so.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I classify Rauch in a similar category as Garland. Neither are finesse, but neither are necessarily power pitchers. Garland possesses a mid 90's fastball but usually doesn't use it and isn't really a strikeout pitcher.

Of course he's considered a sinkerballer..but Rauch is just a pitcher.

I classify Rauch in a similar category as Garland.  Neither are finesse, but neither are necessarily power pitchers.  Garland possesses a mid 90's fastball but usually doesn't use it and isn't really a strikeout pitcher. 

Of course he's considered a sinkerballer..but Rauch is just a pitcher.

Garland could become a Strikeout Guy. He needs to throw his Curve and Change for Strikes. Kevin Brown didn't really strikeout many guys his first couple of years. He really became a K guy when Stew showed him how to throw the Splitter. Garland Better Control sould add to more strikeouts.

Rauch is not a power Pitcher. A power Pitcher is a guy who can overpower hitters with the Heat (Blow It by them) Rauch can't he needs for his other pitches to help. I agree in part that his body sould help him some, but as Jason said he needs to throw his other pitches to be able to use the Heat to blow people away

To me, a power pitcher is a guy that can blow the fastball by a good hitter on 3 consecutive pitches, usually by "climbing the ladder". Colon is a power pitcher. Koch was one at one time. I don't see any classic power pitchers currently on the roster.