Getz help KC LAD make Top Ten deadline additions

caulfield12

• caulfield12 changed the title to Getz help KC LAD make Top Ten deadline additions
11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

This is an old article. DeJong has a 761 OPS with the Royals, which is better than his 705 OPS with the Sox, but not by much. If he was the second best trade deadline move in mlb then there were very few impact players traded at the deadline this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And by the way, I thought the great Orioles organization had fixed Eloy? He has a 617 OPS with them, which is worse than he had with the Sox this season.

Exact sme as Sox overall ops this year and Chris Getz lifetime mlb ops.

Fitting.  Maybe it went up a point or two yesterday with the "offensive explosion."

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Speaking of trade deadline moves, Orioles fans laughed at the idea of Mayo + for Crochet. After watching Mayo’s horrific start to mlb, bet they’re wishing they had a mulligan on that one…

I’m guessing not.  Post All-Star break, Crochet has a 6.46 ERA.  He’d be even worse if he was extended beyond 2 to 4 inning starts.  Meanwhile, the Orioles spent way less to acquire Elfin and he’s been much better than Crochet in the second half.  I doubt the Orioles want a mulligan on that trade.

Cowser also had a terrible start in the majors for the Orioles last year and he is now an AL rookie of the year contender.

As far as Eloy goes, the Orioles acquired him as a flier.  It’s not like they gave up anything of substance for him to the Sox.

The only team that “lost” by not selling Crochet high was the Sox.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If he was the second best trade deadline move in mlb then there were very few impact players traded at the deadline this year.

It didn't seem like anyone had the appetite, or felt the need, to make a big move. I doubt that Getz had many offers and they were probably easy to pass on. Hopefully the off season will be better. 

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m guessing not.  Post All-Star break, Crochet has a 6.46 ERA.  He’d be even worse if he was extended beyond 2 to 4 inning starts.  Meanwhile, the Orioles spent way less to acquire Elfin and he’s been much better than Crochet in the second half.  I doubt the Orioles want a mulligan on that trade.

Cowser also had a terrible start in the majors for the Orioles last year and he is now an AL rookie of the year contender.

As far as Eloy goes, the Orioles acquired him as a flier.  It’s not like they gave up anything of substance for him to the Sox.

Except Cowser can actually play a defensive position well above average. Mayo is a DH that isn’t hitting. And you really think they’re going to do anything in the postseason trotting out Eflin and Rogers as their #2 and #3 playoff starters? lol

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

It didn't seem like anyone had the appetite, or felt the need, to make a big move. I doubt that Getz had many offers and they were probably easy to pass on. Hopefully the off season will be better. 

Exactly. For everyone saying how much of a sellers market it was it sure doesn’t seem like many impact players were moved by anyone.

4 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, I too have pointed out that Eloy only had like 5 good games there to start and has been mostly bad since.

And his “good” games were still a bunch of singles. I thought the Orioles hitting gurus were going to unlock his big power? He has exactly 1 home run in 92 at bats with the Orioles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There was not an opportunity to sell "high" on him after the contract stuff. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Except Cowser can actually play a defensive position well above average. Mayo is a DH that isn’t hitting. And you really think they’re going to do anything in the postseason trotting out Eflin and Rogers as their #2 and #3 playoff starters? lol

I agree that the Orioles trade for Rogers was a garbage move and they should’ve went after Fedde instead.  But the Orioles did much better acquiring Elfin than Crochet.  I don’t think it’s a sure bet that Crochet will pitch any better than Elfin in the postseason, once he already has 150 innings on the season.  He is proving that now with a 6.46 ERA in the second half.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

There was not an opportunity to sell "high" on him after the contract stuff. 

I don’t think we know that as a fact.  There were teams still interested in Crochet after that news came out.  And it’s not like Getz is going to let us know what the offers were.  And who cares what Getz thinks is a good offer or not?  He acquired bums like Fletcher and Vargas.   His assessment on what is a good return in a trade means nothing.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I agree that the Orioles trade for Rogers was a garbage move and they should’ve went after Fedde instead.  But the Orioles did much better acquiring Elfin than Crochet.  I don’t think it’s a sure bet that Crochet will pitch any better than Elfin in the postseason, once he already has 150 innings on the season.  He is proving that now with a 6.46 ERA in the second half.

It’s Rogers vs Crochet because the Orioles always needed TWO starters and they chose Rogers as their final big deadline move rather than upping the prospect ante from Norby to Mayo for Crochet. I just realized the Orioles optioned Rogers to AAA a couple weeks ago  wow

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s Rogers vs Crochet because the Orioles always needed TWO starters and they chose Rogers as their final big deadline move rather than upping the prospect ante from Norby to Mayo for Crochet. I just realized the Orioles optioned Rogers to AAA a couple weeks ago  wow

It's definitely going to matter when NY finishes ahead of Baltimore.

10 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s pretty obvious that Elfin was their big starter move and they were never going to give up top prospects for a starter.  And the way Crochet has pitched in the second half, the Orioles were wise not to give up any top prospects for him.  Imagine if he was trying to throw 6 innings a start instead of only 2 to 4 like he has been?

Rogers has been terrible for them and I think Getz likely messed up by not trying to deal Fedde to them for Norby instead of getting Vargas, even if he had to include some cash for Fedde’s small contract.  All we can do is hope that Vargas hits next season.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s pretty obvious that Elfin was their big starter move and they were never going to give up top prospects for a starter.  And the way Crochet has pitched in the second half, the Orioles were wise not to give up any top prospects for him.  Imagine if he was trying to throw 6 innings a start instead of only 2 to 4 like he has been?

Rogers has been terrible for them and I think Getz likely messed up by not trying to deal Fedde to them for Norby instead of getting Vargas, even if he had to include some cash for Fedde’s small contract.  All we can do is hope that Vargas hits next season.

Judging by the players they gave up Rogers was the bigger move for them than Eflin. Let’s not try to sugarcoat it now.