Getz help KC LAD make Top Ten deadline additions

caulfield12

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I still disagree that the shine wears off that quickly.  But if it has, I hope they try to trade Crochet for Mayo again in the offseason.  My guess is that the Orioles will still say no and the Sox will get back a headline prospect that is not rated as highly as Mayo.

I want absolutely no part of Mayo. This team doesn’t need another DH that can’t hit.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think the Fedde trade showed Getz inexperience if he wouldn't trade with the Twins and that he took on a poor fielder from a system known for developing bats who couldn't get anything from Vargas.

Youre right it won't have anything to do with his value but it will with the offers along with the other factors I mentioned. Getz needs help with with how to pit these teams against each other. Up your offer ,your rival is going to get him, you clearly value him, start acting like it.

One of the most overlooked moves of the offseason was Elias picking up swingman pitcher Suarez from the KBO.

They're probably still in the playoffs without him, but he has been one of their most indispensable pitchers this entire season that's pretty much off the radar even in fantasy leagues.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It also wouldn't have worked if he didn't force the issue.

I think you can't have your cake and eat it too. While I 100% agree with the "my arm hurts " argument was Crochet's levrage and was surprised it actually took someone so long to just say that so props for getting to the heart of the matter.

However I dont think it's the Sox fault at all for his arm getting hurt or that they have hurt his career projectory.

Bye hook or by crook, luck or smart decisions, Garrett insisting on being a starting pitcher from the beginning may have been more wishful thinking on his part than actually doable at that stage of his career. I'm not even sure if he just wanted to pitch in the majors ASAP and the Sox told him you don't have the innings on your arm yet to become a starting pitcher but we think you can be an effective relief pitcher right now and maybe he said cool but at some point he would've had to pitch in the minrs to build arm strength just like Schultz or Hagen Smith . But his arm couldn't handle it either because he wasn't physically mature enough and he likely gets hurt in any role like so many do.

Now Tommy John is over. He's recovered. He's bigger and stronger than he's ever been. Even though it's been a circuitous route, it's benefitted him. He clearly learned from it.

I'd say how it's turned out has something to do with his physical maturity and setting him on a path he's happy with. I think the Sox, especially Bannister and himself did the right thing and he has no regrets or bitterness with how he was handled early in his career. I know you think otherwise.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You make excellent points understanding Crochet's position but then you ruined it all by saying you think it's bush league.

I know the typical response was F*** Crochet but you gave the reason why it was actually very mature decision to do what he did.

When you are a young man with a talent in a system that chews up and spits out the young and talented players who get injured, you have to look out for #1. No one else is looking out for you in the system. He could get a major injury and never be heard from again at the age of 26. That would suck if you had a 9 figure arm then you give your heart and soul to a team pitching and pushing your talent beyond physical limitations only  to get injured and tossed aside. You let that happen to you and you end up hating how young and stupid you were as you empty another liquor bottle.

I love what Crochet did. f*** The Man and Big Brother. Power to the People.

Literally just saw a college kid who pitched through pain in the playoffs now is getting TJS and missing all of 2025, all for no paycheck at all.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You make excellent points understanding Crochet's position but then you ruined it all by saying you think it's bush league.

I know the typical response was F*** Crochet but you gave the reason why it was actually very mature decision to do what he did.

When you are a young man with a talent in a system that chews up and spits out the young and talented players who get injured, you have to look out for #1. No one else is looking out for you in the system. He could get a major injury and never be heard from again at the age of 26. That would suck if you had a 9 figure arm then you give your heart and soul to a team pitching and pushing your talent beyond physical limitations only  to get injured and tossed aside. You let that happen to you and you end up hating how young and stupid you were as you empty another liquor bottle.

I love what Crochet did. f*** The Man and Big Brother. Power to the People.

I mean, I understand it, and I think it's logical. He's a professional athlete who needs to protect his livelihood, especially when he's on the cusp of becoming generationally wealthy as a result of a lifetime of work.

There's just the one part of me as an athlete that, if presented with the same opportunity, I would jump all over the chance to contribute to a championship. Thus my "bush league" comment, but maybe it's the complete opposite of "bush league" because we're talking about a lot of money.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

His way would be a 9 figure extension already in hand so not really

He has to wait on that.His performance will dictate his future contract just like any other player. He's controlling what he can at the moment and he believes it's the right path. He come a long way but the decisions  he's made do not necessarily lead to a golden future. But he thinks this is the best way for him, not resting for a few months and starting again or pitching in relief. He is a human being not a machine. He is not programmable. Arms do not work that way. He has chosen his course and is sticking to it .

4 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I mean, I understand it, and I think it's logical. He's a professional athlete who needs to protect his livelihood, especially when he's on the cusp of becoming generationally wealthy as a result of a lifetime of work.

There's just the one part of me as an athlete that, if presented with the same opportunity, I would jump all over the chance to contribute to a championship. Thus my "bush league" comment, but maybe it's the complete opposite of "bush league" because we're talking about a lot of money.

You invest your whole life to reach a professional and financial pinnacle. You don't want some other team messing with the plan that has finally started to work to your advantage . He had no advantage to trusting his future to people who didnt contribute to getting him to  his current position.

You're in a much better position to contribute to a championship team when you can give it 100% from a physical and financially secure position. He would've been in neither position pitching in the post season in any capacity. You're likely to hurt your team or yourself performing in less than optimal conditions and guttng it out. He knew his limitations. That shows maturity. Now that could've come from his agent but it was still in his best interests.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You invest your whole life to reach a professional and financial pinnacle. You don't want some other team messing with the plan that has finally started to work to your advantage . He had no advantage to trusting his future to people who didnt contribute to getting him to  his current position.

You're in a much better position to contribute to a championship team when you can give it 100% from a physical and financially secure position. He would've been in neither position pitching in the post season in any capacity. You're likely to hurt your team or yourself performing in less than optimal conditions and guttng it out. He knew his limitations. That shows maturity. Now that could've come from his agent but it was still in his best interests.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you or criticizing Crochet.

I just know that, given my personality, I would have taken a different approach. You never know if you're EVER going to be able to play for another championship ever again in your life, so you go for it... full stop. That's my personality, without knowing what it feels like to have a 9-figure payday as a realistic future outcome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

One of the most overlooked moves of the offseason was Elias picking up swingman pitcher Suarez from the KBO.

They're probably still in the playoffs without him, but he has been one of their most indispensable pitchers this entire season that's pretty much off the radar even in fantasy leagues.

That the guy the Sox scored 6 runs on a couple weeks ago? I wouldn’t count on him for much in the playoffs

19 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He’s been bad lately

https://www.mlb.com/player/albert-suarez-544150?stats=splits-r-pitching-mlb&year=2024

July and September bad, but he's still in the mid 3's for season results...April May June and August very impressive

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/baltimore-orioles-pitcher-has-saved-the-year-amid-injuries

Albert Suarez signed a 1 year , $740,000 contract with the Baltimore Orioles, including $740,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $740,000.

Seems like a bargain to me.

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

I just know that, given my personality, I would have taken a different approach. You never know if you're EVER going to be able to play for another championship ever again in your life, so you go for it... full stop. That's my personality, without knowing what it feels like to have a 9-figure payday as a realistic future outcome.

Let’s not ignore the fact that Garrett Crochet has already done this at least two times for playoff teams and maybe half a third time rushing back too early to try to save a 2023 team. Is he going to be asked to pitch himself into the operating table or rehab room every year?

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Let’s not ignore the fact that Garrett Crochet has already done this at least two times for playoff teams and maybe half a third time rushing back too early to try to save a 2023 team. Is he going to be asked to pitch himself into the operating table or rehab room every year?

lol. So let’s not ignore the fact he was doing his job as a pro athlete?

10 hours ago, JoeC said:

If that's the case, why didn't he just keep his mouth shut to get off this shithole team and organization and sort it out later? To me, that would have been the better move.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If that's the case, why didn't he just keep his mouth shut to get off this shithole team and organization and sort it out later? To me, that would have been the better move.

Like I said, that would be my approach based on my motivations. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Very good point, yes.

Easy to forget we were in that position not too long ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

A related tweet.  Seattle really comes to mind as one who didn't go all out for sure.

For once... we're probably in the middle of the pack at 0% change.

See? Getz's deadline was league average </sarc>

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Your job isn't to hurt yourself to make someone else rich.

Was he hurt when he pitched in the postseason in 2020 or 2021? Otherwise, Balta’s post has no merit. He gets paid to pitch, whether it’s regular season or postseason. This is the first I’ve heard of the team pushing him to pitch in the postseason when he was injured. Source?

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Was he hurt when he pitched in the postseason in 2020 or 2021? Otherwise, Balta’s post has no merit. He gets paid to pitch, whether it’s regular season or postseason. This is the first I’ve heard of the team pushing him to pitch in the postseason when he was injured. Source?

Seriously?  Do you not remember the 2020 playoffs when he literally left the game due to an arm injury?  Source?  Literally any Sox fan in the last 5 years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Seriously?  Do you not remember the 2020 playoffs when he literally left the game due to an arm injury?  Source?  Literally any Sox fan in the last 5 years.

Yea and they pulled him from the game. You knew he was hurt going into that game? Seriously? I never heard that.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yea and they pulled him from the game. You knew he was hurt going into that game? Seriously? I never heard that.

You seriously don't remember any of this?  I guess this explain a lot honestly.  Search functions are your friend, as is google and twitter searches.  Come back to me when you read up.

• Like 1