Getz help KC LAD make Top Ten deadline additions

caulfield12

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You seriously don't remember any of this?  I guess this explain a lot honestly.  Search functions are your friend, as is google and twitter searches.  Come back to me when you read up.

Yes, I remember him getting hurt in his second inning of work in that playoff game but what you are implying is that the team pushed him to pitch that game while he was hurt. That’s news to me!

We should fault the team for asking him to pitch in the playoffs? Like he did some type of noble service for pitching two postseasons in a row. Wtf is that? Makes zero sense.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yes, I remember him getting hurt in his second inning of work in that playoff game but what you are implying is that the team pushed him to pitch that game while he was hurt. That’s news to me!

We should fault the team for asking him to pitch in the playoffs? Like he did some type of noble service for pitching two postseasons in a row. Wtf is that? Makes zero sense.

I always got the feeling that they knew it was coming...he knew it was coming...just pitch until it happens.  So it seemed that all parties involved were aware of the situation and allowed it to happen as at some point it was inevitable?  

2 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

I always got the feeling that they knew it was coming...he knew it was coming...just pitch until it happens.  So it seemed that all parties involved were aware of the situation and allowed it to happen as at some point it was inevitable?  

It was 100% talked about ahead of time.  Even in this outing his velocity was down and kept falling the entire outing.  He was obviously pitching through something and pretty much everyone knew it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It was 100% talked about ahead of time.  Even in this outing his velocity was down and kept falling the entire outing.  He was obviously pitching through something and pretty much everyone knew it.

Nope. It was not talked about ahead of time that he was injured. From the article I linked Garrett even said he was fine when Ricky visited him on the mound that game. The team was the one to pull the plug on that outing in an effort to protect his health.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Nope. It was not talked about ahead of time that he was injured. From the article I linked Garrett even said he was fine when Ricky visited him on the mound that game. The team was the one to pull the plug on that outing in an effort to protect his health.

Why, though, if there isn't any concern prior to the start of the game and if he is fine when Ricky visited him on the mound?

20 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

I mean, you can say that about pretty much every one of these flamethrowers that has yet to experience TJS. What’s the solution, just don’t pitch them? At least Garrett was able to accrue mlb service time and get paid an mlb salary while he was recovering from TJS. Not a bad deal! Anyone faulting the Sox for how they handled Garrett is just looking for reasons to be mad at the team. This ain’t it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Why, though, if there isn't any concern prior to the start of the game and if he is fine when Ricky visited him on the mound?

It says in the article I linked. They saw a noticeable velocity drop and Garrett shaking his left hand in his second inning of work that prompted the mound visit…

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Nope and one article.  How can you argue with such great research.  I know I won't waste my time. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nope and one article.  How can you argue with such great research.  I know I won't waste my time. 

You’re the one disputing that he wasn’t injured before that outing. Burden of proof is on you, not me.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

11 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I mean, you can say that about pretty much every one of these flamethrowers that has yet to experience TJS. What’s the solution, just don’t pitch them? At least Garrett was able to accrue mlb service time and get paid an mlb salary while he was recovering from TJS. Not a bad deal! Anyone faulting the Sox for how they handled Garrett is just looking for reasons to be mad at the team. This ain’t it.

I am not faulting anyone...I think both sides knew what was going on and were OK with it.  Who knows...they might have opened his arm up after the season regardless of that particular situation.  I was just chiming into say I thought I recall discussion prior to the injury about the fact that they knew he was injured and it wasn't going to heal on its own so go ahead and pitch.  I am getting older so I certainly could be misremembering...but that is how I recall it.  

6 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

I am not faulting anyone...I think both sides knew what was going on and were OK with it.  Who knows...they might have opened his arm up after the season regardless of that particular situation.  I was just chiming into say I thought I recall discussion prior to the injury about the fact that they knew he was injured and it wasn't going to heal on its own so go ahead and pitch.  I am getting older so I certainly could be misremembering...but that is how I recall it.  

I hear ya and all I was saying is that this can be said about any dude throwing 100+ mph these days, they’re all ticking time bombs. Some posters (not you) seem to think if the Sox handled Garrett differently he never would have come down with TJS. GTFO with that nonsense. And as a hard throwing pitcher, when you do come down with the inevitable TJS, I don’t think you could ask for the timing to be any better than when Garrett’s hit. I guess the optimal time would be after signing the big contract like Chris Sale or Jacob DeGrom but Garrett was able to get paid an mlb salary and accrue service time while injured, he has 3 seasons to prove his worth prior to FA, and he’s going to hit FA at age 27. It’s really a great spot for him to be in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I hear ya and all I was saying is that this can be said about any dude throwing 100+ mph these days, they’re all ticking time bombs. Some posters (not you) seem to think if the Sox handled Garrett differently he never would have come down with TJS. GTFO with that nonsense. And as a hard throwing pitcher, when you do come down with the inevitable TJS, I don’t think you could ask for the timing to be any better than when Garrett’s hit. I guess the optimal time would be after signing the big contract like Chris Sale or Jacob DeGrom but Garrett was able to get paid an mlb salary and accrue service time while injured, he has 3 seasons to prove his worth prior to FA, and he’s going to hit FA at age 27. It’s really a great spot for him to be in.

I agree and even said as much around the trade deadline. Yeah, he probably would have liked to have been a SP this whole time, but this scenario is pretty spectacular for him (if he stays healthy over next 2 years).

• Like 2

Worth noting that the NFL concussion settlements I think establish a pretty clear precedent that a team has responsibility to act in the best interests of their players health in addition to their interests of winning. If a team pushes a player too hard or does not have the player fully understanding their risks of an activity, there remains liability on the part of the team. 

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Orioles just DFA’ed Craig Kimbrel.  Instead of his stupid trade for Vargas, Getz should have sold Fedde and Kopech to the Orioles for Norby++ and sent cash to the O’s if necessary.

Kopech as closer is about the most unproven concept there is...Elias certainly isn't going to take that risk in the post season..

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Kopech as closer is about the most unproven concept there is...Elias certainly isn't going to take that risk in the post season..

Yet Elias gave one of the most hit-or-miss relievers from year-to-year $13 million dollars for 2024 at age 36.  Somehow it’s a good enough strategy for the huge payroll Dodgers, but not the much lower payroll Orioles?

🙄

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

AGREED!