Burke debut A's @ White Sox

caulfield12

20 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Julks playing his way off the team.

So is Korey Lee.  Good gracious, he's been terrible with the bat.

Sox should have league-average pitching next season.  But they have nothing on offense.  Of course the offense is why they are record-setting bad this season.

6-6 avoids the record.  Take 4/6 from the Angels (they are bad and the Sox should be trying harder than them) and 1 each from the Padres and Tigers, and on to next season.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Sox should have league-average pitching next season.  But they have nothing on offense.  Of course the offense is why they are record-setting bad this season.

6-6 avoids the record.  Take 4/6 from the Angels (they are bad and the Sox should be trying harder than them) and 1 each from the Padres and Tigers, and on to next season.

Korey Lee arguably has the best arm in baseball as a catcher, has the lowest pop time in the league, and is more than effective defensively.  Also…he’s cheap.  I’d guess that he and Quero split time next season.  Hes been pretty bad at the plate but if the argument is to play Vargas to “see what you’ve got,” they absolutely have to play Korey Lee.  A catcher hitting .205 is pretty much inconsequential for a 100 loss team next season so they’ll take the cheap & young options.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Not sure how you can say this. With Crochet gone, the starting rotation has to be the worst in the league.Who is out there that's gonna get people out over five innings.  And the bullpen remains a huge problem. Including primary closer if we even need a closer.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Huh?

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Not sure how you can say this. With Crochet gone, the starting rotation has to be the worst in the league.Who is out there that's gonna get people out over five innings.  And the bullpen remains a huge problem. Including primary closer if we even need a closer.

Well, the Sox have a lot of young pitchers; they pen should be better and they can fill out a staff. I should probably revise that prediction and say 20th.

But the offense is why they are historically bad.  Measured by OPS, the #29 team is closer to #15, than the #30 (Sox) is to #29.   That is qn unbelievable gap.

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

Korey Lee arguably has the best arm in baseball as a catcher, has the lowest pop time in the league, and is more than effective defensively.  Also…he’s cheap.  I’d guess that he and Quero split time next season.  Hes been pretty bad at the plate but if the argument is to play Vargas to “see what you’ve got,” they absolutely have to play Korey Lee.  A catcher hitting .205 is pretty much inconsequential for a 100 loss team next season so they’ll take the cheap & young options.

He's also ranked #54 in framing.   Now part of that is probably the umps not giving Sox pitchers the benefit of the doubt, because the team is so bad.  But Sox pitchers consistently get pinched.

And .562 OPS is just not something a great arm and release can overcome.   I realize he's nowhere close to the biggest problem, but so far, he's no solution either.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Vaughn will be in his 2nd arb year.  He was at $3.25 million this year, which probably puts him in the $5-6 million range in arb next year.  I could totally see a non-tender.  

disagree.  Trade, maybe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If Vaughn was a free agent would you pay $5 to $6 million for him?

No. I don't want him on my team. Although he's one of those guys who 'still' may be in the 'give him one more year' to emerge category considering his draft status. Vaughn is hitting .246, 17 HRs and 64 RBI. Coincidentally Jake Burger is hitting .244 with 25 homers and 62 RBI. Are they the same player? Sox could have used Burger's 25 homers this year to go to AV's 17. I think Vaughn still may get another year with another team. We know Burger's not done yet.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Vaughn will be in his 2nd arb year.  He was at $3.25 million this year, which probably puts him in the $5-6 million range in arb next year.  I could totally see a non-tender.  

Is Elko LH ? They probably can't get anyone better than Vaughn for his salary. They could put Vargas at 1st. The few power bats they have they can't afford to replace them.

1 hour ago, zisk said:

I think someone will roll the dice on AV. Once he's away from the Sox, he'll do what Kopech is doing. 

This is the only team that will do that. 

A slow guy with little power only has a place here.

It is a mystery the way young players decline in this organization.