CHSN to be available on antenna in Chicago

Heads22

WJYS simply sells airtime to anybody who wants it. (You can even pay by credit card on their website!) So it looks like CHSN outbid the home-shopping networks that are currently on 62.2 and 62.3. 

Now CHSN has to sell enough advertising to recoup its investment in airtime, production costs, salaries, etc. I assume they'll also try to extract carriage fees from cable and satellite companies and other distributors. And maybe try to farm out some of the games to WGN, WCIU, or other more prominent stations.

I'm guessing this will be mean a pretty substantial drop in TV revenue compared to the NBCSC deal, but it's hard to say since this is the first time in the regional-sports-network era that an MLB team has tried anything like this. For the old-timers, it's a throwback to the arrangement that the Sox had in the mid-1970s, when the team bought time from channel 44 and sold the commercials themselves.

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The new network will also be available on DirecTV, they reached an agreement a few days ago. 

I have the Sox as my regional sports team with my Direct TV, Marquee is also part of the package. If I can get the Sox free on antenna, then I will drop regional sports package.

It doesn't sit well with me that Ricketts is getting my money. 

Interesting article in the Tribune Chicago Sports Network to launch Oct. 1 on DirecTV and free TV (chicagotribune.com)  (sorry pay wall )

PK Wrigley built the Cubs fanbase on free tv, the Sox are targeting the 15% of people that will never pay for tv

Edited by Falstaff

3 hours ago, Falstaff said:

I have the Sox as my regional sports team with my Direct TV, Marquee is also part of the package. If I can get the Sox free on antenna, then I will drop regional sports package.

Interesting article in the Tribune Chicago Sports Network to launch Oct. 1 on DirecTV and free TV (chicagotribune.com)  (sorry pay wall )

PK Wrigley built the Cubs fanbase on free tv, the Sox are targeting the 15% of people that will never pay for tv

The Cubs fanbase was built by Harry Caray and their 1984 season on a Superstation. Before that, both teams drew about the same.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

No announcements of it being included with any live tv streaming apps?

Honest question, you think Jerry knows what YouTube TV is?  The OTA programming is cool but, let’s be honest it isn’t exactly a revolutionary idea.  I bet, if they end up on a streaming service, it’s likely Fubo since they carry almost everything.  I think it’s more likely that they try a stand-alone subscription based streaming service but I honestly have zero idea how MLB, NBA, and NHL broadcast rules affect that.  Mildly concerning that they are two weeks away from the network launch and haven’t announced any streaming partners.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Honest question, you think Jerry knows what YouTube TV is?  The OTA programming is cool but, let’s be honest it isn’t exactly a revolutionary idea.  I bet, if they end up on a streaming service, it’s likely Fubo since they carry almost everything.  I think it’s more likely that they try a stand-alone subscription based streaming service but I honestly have zero idea how MLB, NBA, and NHL broadcast rules affect that.  Mildly concerning that they are two weeks away from the network launch and haven’t announced any streaming partners.

It would be awesome if it got it's own app like Marquee.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

According to that Tribune story that was posted the Sox 'ratings" this year are, get this, .07. Not even a one.

That's just awful.

You seem surprised.  I haven't watched this little baseball since the years post strike in the mid 90s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The Cubs fanbase was built by Harry Caray and their 1984 season on a Superstation. Before that, both teams drew about the same.

Thats the easy answer,  now go back and do some research on PK Wrigley , you might learn something you didn't know

Edited by Falstaff

4 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

No announcements of it being included with any live tv streaming apps?

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

This is my question as well. OTA is great and all, but I would happily pay for a stand alone app w/o a cable subscription, even with as terrible as the Sox are. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Thats the easy answer,  now go back and do some research on PK Wrigley , you might learn something you didn't know

The numbers would say whatever he was doing, the White Sox apparently were doing it just as well or better until 1984 when Wrigley Field became a tourist destination.

• Like 1

I gotta believe they will stream this with some services...right?  I mean we are all Sox-centric here but no way the Bulls/Blackhawks are going to go for no streaming (I know the White Sox/Bulls are the same)...no reason the Bulls wouldn't attract eyeballs!

How accessible are the OTA channels in Chicagoland?  How far do those signals reach?

9 hours ago, Falstaff said:

you mean the tribune company.