CHSN to be available on antenna in Chicago

Heads22

2 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

My recollection is that the Marquee rollout had very limited carriage at first, and it didn't really get resolved until games were scheduled to be aired. At least this has some option to actually watch the games if your streaming/cable option isn't negotiated yet. I think the Dodgers had this issue for a couple of years. So this couuld be a long term issue.

While this is true...this channel has people wanting 2 sports that are "winter" sports so hopefully the issue of being carried by certain streamers is expedited in relationship to the White Sox calendar.  

10 hours ago, Falstaff said:

His best chance to win was 1969 with 4 HoF players and a HoF manager and they crashed and burned.

He was the WORST of the wrigley to

own the team. Bill wrigley took over but had to sell when he got divorced. He was the one that began to treat the team seriously. 

On 9/19/2024 at 8:29 AM, ThirdGen said:

My recollection is that the Marquee rollout had very limited carriage at first, and it didn't really get resolved until games were scheduled to be aired. At least this has some option to actually watch the games if your streaming/cable option isn't negotiated yet. I think the Dodgers had this issue for a couple of years. So this couuld be a long term issue.

They have all been awful. Houston even managed to pull a literal 0 rating.  

Tick. Tock.  

Less than 2 weeks from launch.  Still no agreement with Comcast.  Still no announcement of a direct to consumer option.  Still no option for a nationwide stream.  Still no announcement of on-air talent.  

I didn’t think it was possible but this might end up being a bigger debacle than Sportsvision.  I’m not watching the Sox or Bulls but don’t mind putting the Hawks on as background noise.  Unfortunately I’m out of market so OTA isn’t an option and I’m sure as f*** not paying for DirecTV or Center Ice.  Guess I’ll watch the Kraken instead 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Does it say somewhere that Youtube TV isn't likely? That's a surprise to me since they have NBC Sports Chicago. 

YouTube TV will almost certainly not carry it.  They have NBC SN Chicago because it is a bundle agreement with all of the other NBC RSNs.  Since The new CHSN is a standalone, it likely won’t be picked up.  I’d guess, if a streamer picks it up, it will be Fubo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

Tick. Tock.  

Less than 2 weeks from launch.  Still no agreement with Comcast.  Still no announcement of a direct to consumer option.  Still no option for a nationwide stream.  Still no announcement of on-air talent.  

I didn’t think it was possible but this might end up being a bigger debacle than Sportsvision.  I’m not watching the Sox or Bulls but don’t mind putting the Hawks on as background noise.  Unfortunately I’m out of market so OTA isn’t an option and I’m sure as f*** not paying for DirecTV or Center Ice.  Guess I’ll watch the Kraken instead 🤷‍♂️

These are always debacles.  Each team plays chicken with the other until they come to an agreement somewhere after the fact.  it's billionaires fighting over dollars.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

These are always debacles.  Each team plays chicken with the other until they come to an agreement somewhere after the fact.  it's billionaires fighting over dollars.

It’s going to screw the Hawks the most.  The major deals won’t come to the table until NBA/MLB gets closer so the Hawks are going to be borderline inaccessible for at least a little bit.

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

YouTube TV will almost certainly not carry it.  They have NBC SN Chicago because it is a bundle agreement with all of the other NBC RSNs.  Since The new CHSN is a standalone, it likely won’t be picked up.  I’d guess, if a streamer picks it up, it will be Fubo.

NBCSN is being dropped 10/1 from YouTube TV fwiw

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Does it say somewhere that Youtube TV isn't likely? That's a surprise to me since they have NBC Sports Chicago. 

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

This would shock me.  Like Y2J says, they already carry the new station's predecessor.  How hard would it be to agree to new terms?   

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

NBCSN is being dropped 10/1 from YouTube TV fwiw

Yeah because its not going to be a channel at all anymore. 

The thought of the majority of people needing to get the channel over the antenna is bonkers to me.  That's just not how most people watch TV in 2024.  Live sports is keeping old school TV and cable alive.  How could there not be a deal in place for a channel showing 3 of the 5 professional teams in the 3rd largest market in the country?

3 hours ago, Falstaff said:

What is going to happen with Chuck and Ozzie? Has there been any discussions about what if any role they will have with the new station?

I have heard zero discussion of any programming outside of the live broadcasts.  Maybe that’s a contract thing with everyone currently employed by NBC but apparently almost everyone is still in negotiations.  My guess is that they are being asked to take a fairly significant pay cut on the new network.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I have heard zero discussion of any programming outside of the live broadcasts.  Maybe that’s a contract thing with everyone currently employed by NBC but apparently almost everyone is still in negotiations.  My guess is that they are being asked to take a fairly significant pay cut on the new network.

The Blackhawks pre and post seems the same. The Bulls is the same except minus Wil Perdue. Supposedly they will guest that spot occassionally. Ozzie was on the commercial so I figure he'll be back. Our Chuck was a little negative, so who knows how that will play with JR.

The Cubs fanbase was built by Harry Caray and their 1984 season on a Superstation. Before that, both teams drew about the same.

I would say that decline started in the late 60's when the Sox moved telecasts from VHF (WGN-TV) to UHF (WFLD-TV) in 1968.  Channel 32 had great picture quality but UHF (Channels 14-83) required an outdoor antenna at the time for clean reception in many suburbs.  In 1968, Chicago was mostly a VHF market.  Chicago only had 3 UHF TV stations (20, 26, 32).  Viewers did not make the effort or know how to correctly receive Channel 32 in their homes.  TV's manufactured prior to 1964 were not required to have UHF tuners built in to the TV.

A couple other factors:  lousy season records in 1968, 1969, and 1970.   The construction of public housing projects near 'White Sox Park' in the 60's.  Also, the radio move in 1971-1972 to:  105.1 WEAW-FM / 1300 WTAQ / and 4 suburban stations did not help.

This is honestly absolutely hilarious. It's 2024. While free OTA broadcasts are nice, nobody is hooking up a fucking antenna to watch the Bulls, Blackhawks, or White Sox. I'm not sure it would even be possible to do such a thing in a bar where the wiring is already in place.

The fact that the Bulls and Blackhawks are going to start the season, and the only broadcast company they have worked out a deal with is.... Direct TV, is truly amazing levels of incompetence. This doesn't surprise me from a Reinsdorf perspective, but I expect better business and decision making out of the Blackhawks. It's shocking they hitched their horse to this stupidity. 

Also, nice of them to make sure we will have HD broadcasts for hockey in....*checks notes* 2024. Hockey isn't even watchable in SD once you've watched in HD and 4k.

This isn't hilarious at all.  Just the opposite, in fact.  Smart move with more and more viewers cutting the cable, the games will be available for free to everyone using an antenna.  I haven't subscribed to cable (or a dish) for 25 years, but I heard the cost is around $200 per month.  So you would rather pay $2,400 per year because you can't figure out how to hook up an antenna?

Likely when the Bulls and Blackhawks regular season gets started, I suspect deals will be worked out with Comcast/Xfinity and other cable companies in the Chicago area.  The pay-TV distributors would be loosing a ton of customers if White Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks were not available.

As others have mentioned, Channels 62-2 and 62-3 are going to convert from SD to HD on October 1st.

I can't tell if you're joking, but most tvs have an antenna built in.

That's correct.  Under federal law, all TV's are required to have a tuner built in, but antennas are sold separately.

I would not recommend that antenna.  Looks like junk.  Probably works in the city limits of Chicago but might as well fork over the money for a better quality indoor antenna to get Chicago's low-power TV stations.

Just a couple more billionaires who are attempting to squeeze more profit out of their product, at the expense of the consumer. They are, once again, screwing their fanbase to do so. The owner of the Washington Capitals and Wizards bought the rights to NBC Sports Washington and rebranded it. Which leads to a seamless transition for your fans and customer base. No agreements needed with providers. No channel changes. No changes in production quality. Just a logo and some branding changes, and you're off running. These greedy, incompetent assholes decided they didn't want to pay that cost. They decided instead, that they wanted to just blow it all up. It's going to bite them in the ass.

Telling your fans who have been watching the team for years on their existing services to "just go buy an antenna and hook it up" to watch your team is marketing malfeasance. The overwhelming majority of their fanbase(old people) probably isn't even capable of figuring that out without some kind of technical assistance. Especially if you have a wall mounted TV, and have never dealt with an internal TV tuner on your Smart TV before...

jerry is probably taking a financial hit with this endeavor.  Comcast/Xfinity and other distributors are not going pay as much to carry CHSN since the product is no longer a cable exclusive that many viewers can now receive for free using an antenna.

You actually believe that the overwhelming majority of their fanbase (old people) are unable to figure how how to hook up an antenna?  It's actually very simple.  Also, I would say that old people will be able to understand this method more than young people because old people can remember the days when all Sox games were televised on free TV before cable TV and RSN's existed.  Young people have the mindset that all TV broadcasting is charged.

I believe Jerry owned 50% of NBC Sports Chicago.  This isn't much different what happened at Washington, DC.  The two CHSN channels are probably going to occupy the same channels that were used for 'NBC Sports Chicago' and 'NBC Sports Chicago Plus' so this will be a seamless transition as well. 

https://www.channelmaster.com/pages/tv-antenna-map-chicago-il-60660

I would suggest anyone who plans on utilizing the OTA broadcast to check this beforehand. There are a whole bunch of areas around Chicago where 62.2 and 62.3 have trash signal.

^ The circle on that map isn't accurate.  It's way too big.  Here's a good map.  As you can see, the signal is not trash.  The green and yellow areas show where Channel 62 WJYS comes in with rabbit ears.  I had no problem receiving Channel 62 using rabbit ears at my former home in central Lake County IL:

https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?map=Y&appid=25076ff36dad76a5016dbc38667e53ad&site=1

The reality is that they are going to be on a channel that is only broadcast from one tower in the Chicagoland area, and a whole bunch of people that aren't directly in the Chicago metropolitan area are going to be screwed. Like, screwed badly enough that even installing an antenna on your roof isn't going to help anything.

False.  A roof antenna will suffice for everyone in the Chicago metro.  Rabbit ears will be a problem for viewers located at far out suburbs.  Yes, one antenna but transmitting from Willis Tower (1673 feet, 140,000 watts).  A few years down the road, Next Generation TV (ATSC 3.0) will allow a single TV station to transmit from multiple towers.

The thought of the majority of people needing to get the channel over the antenna is bonkers to me.  That's just not how most people watch TV in 2024.  Live sports is keeping old school TV and cable alive.  How could there not be a deal in place for a channel showing 3 of the 5 professional teams in the 3rd largest market in the country?

CHSN is going be available on BOTH free over-the-air TV and pay/cable TV (for people who like to waste money and pay to watch programming that they can receive for free).  There will be more deals. 

• Like 1

I heard rumors about additional CHSN over-the-air affiliates which are going to be added:

Rockford

Channel 19 WSLN Freeport (The CW is on the primary)

South Bend

Channel 16 WNDU-TV South Bend (NBC is on the primary)

Milwaukee

Channel 18 or 24 (?) WVTV Milwaukee (The CW is on the primary)

Paducah - Cape Girardeau - Harrisburg

Channel 49 WDKA Paducah (MyNetwork TV is on the primary)

I suspect the Milwaukee TV station is going to air only Blackhawks games (no Bulls or White Sox)

6 minutes ago, InTheDriversSeat said:

I heard rumors about additional CHSN over-the-air affiliates which are going to be added:

Rockford

Channel 19 WSLN Freeport (The CW is on the primary)

South Bend

Channel 16 WNDU-TV South Bend (NBC is on the primary)

Milwaukee

Channel 18 or 24 (?) WVTV Milwaukee (The CW is on the primary)

Paducah - Cape Girardeau - Harrisburg

Channel 49 WDKA Paducah (MyNetwork TV is on the primary)

I suspect the Milwaukee TV station is going to air only Blackhawks games (no Bulls or White Sox)

Paducah seems like almost all Cards' fans...must be for Bulls?