CHSN to be available on antenna in Chicago

Heads22

5 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Reinsdorf owns the network. He bought Stadium last year. A Reinsdorf sycophant is running the network. I don't know what part the Wirtz family is playing in all of this, but it sure doesn't seem like much.

Wirtz family isn't all that much more successful at running sports franchises  then Reinsdorf.  Great business folks outside of sports. 

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Wirtz family isn't all that much more successful at running sports franchises  then Reinsdorf.  Great business folks outside of sports. 

Being a liquor magnate in Chicago definitely has its advantages lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

But he has Bedard, maybe the only thing worth watching on the channel.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Social media comments so far are…awesome.  Channel is getting hammered.

As it fucking should. I cannot stress how absolutely awful sports is at 1080i and 30hz. It's basically unwatchable.

The production quality is exactly what you would expect from a Reinsdorf operation, as well. The studio looks like someone's fucking garage, complete with a cheap ass looking desk and possibly the most uncomfortable looking chairs I have ever seen.

3 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

As it fucking should. I cannot stress how absolutely awful sports is at 1080i and 30hz. It's basically unwatchable.

The production quality is exactly what you would expect from a Reinsdorf operation, as well. The studio looks like someone's fucking garage, complete with a cheap ass looking desk and possibly the most uncomfortable looking chairs I have ever seen.

My personal favorite is the weird ass fake brick paneling.  That’s 100% some s%*# out of my grandmothers basement in South Elgin 🤣

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

20 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Is there any reason they can’t do 1080p and 60Hz?

Only ATSC 3.0 currently broadcasts at 1080p and 60hz, from what I understand. Most televisions don't have a tuner for ATSC 3.0, and very few stations broadcast on it right now.

The majority of channels are going to be 1080i at 30hz or 720p at 60hz (which is much better for sports).

Its just a joke. Absolute clownshoes.

I was watching a show with Adam Amin and he asked of the 3 teams in the network who is closest to a championship. The guy said the Bulls, and thought their roster was stacked. The woman said she was going to say the Bulls but she will go with the White Sox, the team that just lost more game than any other team this and last century, saying they were a lot closer than people think. JR probably has already given them extensions.

• Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 1

23 minutes ago, Rusty said:

My personal favorite is the weird ass fake brick paneling.  That’s 100% some s%*# out of my grandmothers basement in South Elgin 🤣

The only good thing is…that the OTA signal doesn’t even reach South Elgin so Grandma might not realize her paneling is gone yet.

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was watching a show with Adam Amin and he asked of the 3 teams in the network who is closest to a championship. The guy said the Bulls, and thought their roster was stacked. The woman said she was going to say the Bulls but she will go with the White Sox, the team that just lost more game than any other team this and last century, saying they were a lot closer than people think. JR probably has already given them extensions.

So we will be listening to a whole bunch of hand-picked Reinsdorf shills? Awesome. Lol

1 minute ago, Paulie4Pres said:

So we will be listening to a whole bunch of hand-picked Reinsdorf shills? Awesome. Lol

This is what I’m worried about.  At least Chuck and Ozzie had a bit of creative flexibility to be mildly critical of the Sox on the pre and post game.  This already feels like it’s going to be a giant propaganda operation.  

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

10 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Only ATSC 3.0 currently broadcasts at 1080p and 60hz, from what I understand. Most televisions don't have a tuner for ATSC 3.0, and very few stations broadcast on it right now.

The majority of channels are going to be 1080i at 30hz or 720p at 60hz (which is much better for sports).

Its just a joke. Absolute clownshoes.

Yeah, I just checked the channels and noticed 62.2 comes in at 1080i and 62.3 comes in at 720p.  The channel and set looks a little hokey but I’m happy that the signal is strong at least.  It comes in well with no interference.

8 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Brooke Fletcher is one of the hosts, lol.

Scott Fletcher’s daughter and Gordon Beckham’s sister-in-law.

Oh, Jerry…

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Is there any reason they can’t do 1080p and 60Hz?

Broadcasts don't tend to do that (albeit slowly changing). CSN didn't do it either. Providers themselves can "upscale"  it but in the case of streaming that's still going to make for a worse product in most cases. Ie watch a football game OTA on NBC vs Youtubetv and see. But this is standard broadcast.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Brooke Fletcher is one of the hosts, lol.

Scott Fletcher’s daughter and Gordon Beckham’s sister-in-law.

Oh, Jerry…

Aka Miss Georgia 2015…and her sister,

“Oh, this Gordon Beckham kid again,” Brittany thought.

She had never met the guy, but she had heard a lot about him. She grew up in Georgia, the daughter of 15-year MLB veteran Scott Fletcher. Beckham lived close by in the Atlanta area. Some of Brittany’s friends dated some of his friends in college, and on a couple of occasions, people suggested they should meet. Brittany, who graduated from Auburn, never thought too much of it. Besides, she had always promised herself she’d never marry a baseball player.

But she ended up on the South Side of Chicago that night, watching a game featuring the new kid they had started calling “Bacon,” the one who walked up to The Outfield’s “Your Love”— Josie’s on a vacation far away! — and was also supposed to be the future of the franchise. 

And then, in the sixth inning, the strangest thing happened. All the lights went out.

“I’ve been to a million games,” Brittany said. “It was crazy because I’ve never had that happen before.”

The game was delayed, and players retreated to the clubhouse. With some time to spare, Beckham decided to text Brittany. I’d love to meet you after the game.

Play resumed after 21 minutes, and the White Sox finally beat the Red Sox 8-2 late into the night. After the game, Brittany went down and met Beckham, and then they got a drink at a local pub. As Brittany tells it, they dated on and off, then they got married, and now here they are.

But consider Gordon Beckham in that moment: 24 years old, blond hair, chiseled jaw, wealthy, on the highway to stardom in one of baseball’s greatest cities. Beckham hit .270 as a rookie in 2009. He hit 14 home runs and had a .347 on-base percentage, showing all the signs of a player who would grow into his role as a star. 

“I played great my rookie year,” he said. He didn’t know he would never hit .270 again.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/930676/2019/04/18/the-curious-case-of-gordon-beckham/

2019:  

“The other night, Brittany and Gordon were talking, and Brittany made a remark: You know what? We’re pretty strong.

And that’s really what all this is about. The story isn’t over. Who knows how Beckham will finish this season. Who knows how he will finish his career. Who knows what he and Brittany will be doing in another 20 years. Sometimes, whether you’re old or young, and even if you don’t realize it, the middle of the arc of our lives is the best: when you get to live your own story and make your own choices and find the courage and wisdom to know yourself. 

“You get older,” Beckham said a couple of weeks ago, “and you understand that opinions are kind of fickle in a way. I realize I needed to be OK with myself before I could be OK with anything else. I just had to kind of get better at being me.”

Edited by caulfield12

On 10/1/2024 at 6:45 PM, Dick Allen said:

That was for their Christmas bonuses.

I find all this negativity, profanity, and complaining posted here to be very strange (. 

I believe the opposite:  launching CHSN Chicago Sports Network is fantastic news!  This is a wonderful business decision.  For the first time since the 1980 season (on Channel 44 WSNS) nearly all White Sox games will be televised on free over-the-air TV.  That's 44 years since that happened.  

During all of those years, Sox fans had to pay $ to watch most games excluding the 60 or so games each year that continued to air on OTA TV stations.  But even that ended after the 2019 season when WGN-TV was sold to a new owner (Nexstar), and the Sox have been a cable only team ever since.

On 9/26/2024 at 10:40 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

LMAO. Literally no one is talking about doing this. It’s come a long way and easier now than this. It’s something you literally just attach to a tv now.

I was referring to the poster above me that mentioned an outdoor antenna. And if you look at the link he posted, there's a whole bunch of suburbs where indoor reception will be "hard". It's like people don't remember how much rabbit ears fucking sucked. It's a downgrade in every aspect. 

Quite the opposite actually.  If you look on the map, there will be a whole bunch of suburbs where reception is "Easy Indoor":

https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?map=Y&appid=25076ff36dad76a5016dbc38667e53ad&site=1

And no, rabbit ears do not "fucking suck".  TV stations are much easier to receive using an indoor antenna providing an excellent signal since the 2009 conversion to digital broadcasting.  The days of analog TV grainy / fuzzy reception are long gone.  Plus, UHF stations come in stronger now compared to VHF, when the opposite occurred during analog TV broadcasting.

Also, asking your customers to jump through an additional hoop to watch your teams is an absolutely terrible business decision. The fact that people can watch the teams for free OTA with an antenna is great. What's not great is alienating the rest of your customer base that consumes their sports through the internet..

"jumping through additional hoops"?  LOL!  You actually think plugging in an antenna to the back of a TV is a difficult process?  A 10 year old can figure that out.  Having to pay $200 per month ($2,400 per year) for cable/satellite TV is what I call asking customers to jump through hoops.  By the way, down the road there WILL be platforms to stream telecasts if that suits your fancy.  This is a White Sox forum, and they next season starts over 5 months from now so there will be plenty of time to get that done.  Here is what CHSN has to say:

https://chsn.com/info/

"HOW TO WATCH

CHSN plans to be available everywhere that fans want to watch.  Information on additional cable and streaming options will be released soon.  Check back often!  For digital antenna (OTA) support, call (877) 828-8198.

PREMIUM TV SERVICES

CHSN will be available across satellite, cable, and premium streaming platforms.  We are working aggressively to secure deals with all platforms and will provide updates as they are available.  Check back often for the latest list of distribution partners."

The reality is, most people aren't going to buy and hookup an antenna to watch these three shitty teams. I'm a big sports fan, and there's zero chance I'm doing it. It's 2024. Broadcasting comes over the internet, not through a fucking radio signal. Losing the ability to pause, rewind, and record a game without spending a ton of money on an OTA DVR, is a deal-breaker. Having to have an antenna on every TV I might want to watch a game on, is a deal-breaker. Not being able to watch on my computer in my office, is a deal breaker. I'm not even considering it. I will just not watch them, like a WHOLE BUNCH of people I know.

We are talking about putting a fucking antenna on a roof to watch sports teams, in 2024? LMAO. What a fucking joke.

For anyone looking for some reassurance about being able to watch the Bulls/Hawks in October without DirecTV or an antenna? This sure as hell isn't going to help:

Do you know why CHSN is going to fail? Because the guy running it is just another Reinsdorf asshole made President because he's buddies with Brooks Boyer and JR.

"Spending a ton of money on an OTA DVR"?  LOL!   Here's one I found on Amazon that costs $100, which isn't a ton of money.  That's nothing but you support the $2,400 per year cost of cable/satellite TV instead of an antenna.

https://www.amazon.com/Tablo-4th-Gen-2-Tuner-Subscriptions/dp/B0CBVT6SLL/

By the way, most viewers in the Chicago area will not need to put a "fucking antenna on a roof".   An indoor antenna placed next to a window should work for most viewers unless the viewer is located in far out regions of the Chicago metro.  No, this isn't a "fucking joke" and CHSN is not "going to fail". 

That article only reinforces my statements here. CHSN has no leverage. Comcast really has no motivation to carry them.

Actually, Comacst/Xfinity will have PLENTY of motivation to carry CHSN.  Comcast/Xfinity stands to loose probably half it's customer base if CHSN is not carried.  However I suspect the price Comcast pays to CHSN will drop down compared to the fee NBCSN charged because CHSN is available for free OTA and no longer a pay-TV exclusive.  

On 10/1/2024 at 6:24 PM, Rusty said:

My personal favorite is the weird ass fake brick paneling.  That’s 100% some s%*# out of my grandmothers basement in South Elgin 🤣

The only good thing is…that the OTA signal doesn’t even reach South Elgin so Grandma might not realize her paneling is gone yet.

Who cares what the set looks like?  Is the set really that important?  LOL  Here was the first program that aired.  Looks fine to me:

According to the coverage map, Elgin is well within reach of the signal area and so are areas west of Elgin which is even farther away.

• Like 2

Counterpoint, I can figure out bunny ears AND they fucking suck.  I haven’t missed them in the 20 years since I last used them.  I pay for cable and it isn’t too much for me to ask a channel carrying 3 pro teams in the 3rd largest market to come to a deal for availability on most platforms 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1