CHSN to be available on antenna in Chicago

Heads22

The concept on paper of CHSN being on free tv is a good idea. The problem is it’s not practical. Most people have either XFinity or YTTV. That’s how they watch TV. In order to watch the White Sox, they will need to switch inputs on their TV, and locate the channel via OTA. While it doesn’t seem like a lot of effort (and it isn’t) it’s not how people are conditioned to watch TV. And given the state of all three teams on CHSN, fans shouldn’t have to take additional steps to watch their favorite teams, they should make it as easy as possible. At this point in time, most people have to buy an additional piece of equipment to tune in, and that doesn’t pass the smell test in 2024

• Like 2

9 hours ago, InTheDriversSeat said:

I find all this negativity, profanity, and complaining posted here to be very strange (. 

It's just people bitching to b****. The best part of CHSN is that it's free OTA. Theres not much else to add to that though. Go look at the original announcement or general Chicago discussion and see the positivity that generated. Not much else to discuss though beyond that which is why you now only get discourse about people being too lazy to change their inputs or something. Free OTA should have happened a long time ago and hopefully starts a trend for others.

• Like 1

This is awesome.  I can now watch "baseball" with my three year old daughter easily.  (Everything is baseball to her and she wants to watch it all the time)  Having every major streaming service didn't get us Sox games before.  Now it does and it's free.  Sure the team might suck, but she enjoys it and that's all that matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulfly said:

This is awesome.  I can now watch "baseball" with my three year old daughter easily.  (Everything is baseball to her and she wants to watch it all the time)  Having every major streaming service didn't get us Sox games before.  Now it does and it's free.  Sure the team might suck, but she enjoys it and that's all that matters.

She'll grow out of that soon enough assuming the organization continues to be incompetent, dysfunctional and inept.

5 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

It's just people bitching to b****. The best part of CHSN is that it's free OTA. Theres not much else to add to that though. Go look at the original announcement or general Chicago discussion and see the positivity that generated. Not much else to discuss though beyond that which is why you now only get discourse about people being too lazy to change their inputs or something. Free OTA should have happened a long time ago and hopefully starts a trend for others.

It’s not “bitching to b****.”  OTA was applauded because it is a great SECONDARY method of distribution for those that don’t have cable or streaming services.  It was assumed that the channel would be available at least on Comcast and a service like Fubo.  To date, that is not the case because Jerry is trying to save a few dollars.  It’s a dumpster fire and anyone trying to rationalize the launch as acceptable thus far is an enabler that is part of the problem.  The completely clown shoes sets, production, and on air talent makes the entire project that much more laughable.

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1
  • TLR 1

5 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

This is true but there are still some screw-ups.  They are broadcasting in H.264 video encoding rather than the standard MPEG-2 format.  Many slightly older TV’s don’t support this codec so people can basically get the sound from the CHSN OTA channels with no display.  Pretty stupid decision.

It’s probably OTA mostly because the Sox, Bulls, and Hawks all suck and the majority of cable provider don’t care to pick them up.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

The number of people I have talked to that can't get a stable signal, even with a good indoor antenna, far, far, far outnumbers those who are having no issues. How many Reinsdorf water carriers in here have actually TRIED watching these channels?

There are people living in the South Loop in sight of Willis Tower that can't get a signal. Lol

It's an unmitigated disaster and anyone defending it is a fucking imbecile.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

21 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

The number of people I have talked to that can't get a stable signal, even with a good indoor antenna, far, far, far outnumbers those who are having no issues. How many Reinsdorf water carriers in here have actually TRIED watching these channels?

There are people living in the South Loop in sight of Willis Tower that can't get a signal. Lol

It's an unmitigated disaster and anyone defending it is a fucking imbecile.

Resorting to name calling over this is embarassing. I get the signal perfectly in both the city and south burbs, since you asked. The complaints will always be louder. This isn't a disaster to anyone but you, apparently. You don't even care about the signal though. You've made it clear you want the ability to pay for it. I'm sure you'll get your chance, but for now R-E-L-A-X

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Resorting to name calling over this is embarassing. I get the signal perfectly in both the city and south burbs, since you asked. The complaints will always be louder. This isn't a disaster to anyone but you, apparently. You don't even care about the signal though. You've made it clear you want the ability to pay for it. I'm sure you'll get your chance, but for now R-E-L-A-X

Blackhawks fans are going to be the best source right now. Of the active posters on the fan forum I'm on, there's not a single person who isn't having issues with OTA.

11 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Blackhawks fans are going to be the best source right now. Of the active posters on the fan forum I'm on, there's not a single person who isn't having issues with OTA.

That's unfortunate for them obviously,  my personal experience thus far with the channel is clear pictures and 0 issues watching the games/channel OTA. 

I have talked to multiple people from places like Elgin, Aurora, and Joliet that cannot get the OTA signal.  Maybe some of its user error or the codec mentioned above because of their TVs but that’s like the whole point.  You know what channel they have zero issue finding on Comcast and Fubo?  Marquee.  We’ll see what happens with the bankruptcy but an awful lot of people in Central Illinois have zero shot of getting the OTA signal but you know what they do get…the Cardinals and Blues on Bally Sports Midwest.  Anyone that thinks that this launch has been anything short of a complete disaster simply isn’t an intelligent human being.

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

49 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I have talked to multiple people from places like Elgin, Aurora, and Joliet that cannot get the OTA signal.  Maybe some of its user error or the codec mentioned above because of their TVs but that’s like the whole point.  You know what channel they have zero issue finding on Comcast and Fubo?  Marquee.  We’ll see what happens with the bankruptcy but an awful lot of people in Central Illinois have zero shot of getting the OTA signal but you know what they do get…the Cardinals and Blues on Bally Sports Midwest.  Anyone that thinks that this launch has been anything short of a complete disaster simply isn’t an intelligent human being.

The name calling on this continues to be embarassing. Calling people unintelligent when you cannot figure out how to use an antenna, which literally requires a paperclip, is wild. You will have your opportunity to pay for the free channel soon enough though. 

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

11 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The name calling on this continues to be embarassing. Calling people unintelligent when you cannot figure out how to use an antenna, which literally requires a paperclip, is wild. You will have your opportunity to pay for the free channel soon enough though. 

I live in fucking Washington state.  How the f*** exactly is the antenna supposed to work you fucking idiot?

• TLR 1

8 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I live in fucking Washington state.  How the f*** exactly is the antenna supposed to work you fucking idiot?

You would have literally no problem compared to us who live locally lol just get MLBTV or ESPN+ or whatever for all games. Easy solution. The f***?

Edited by Bob Sacamano