CHSN to be available on antenna in Chicago

Heads22

14 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The name calling on this continues to be embarassing. Calling people unintelligent when you cannot figure out how to use an antenna, which literally requires a paperclip, is wild. You will have your opportunity to pay for the free channel soon enough though. 

You do realize that it has nothing to do with "figuring out how to use an antenna", right? That there are places where you just can't get a good OTA signal, even though you should be able to? That's the funny thing about radio waves. They don't pass through things very well.

Sources of Obstructions and Interference for Antenna TV – Tablo (tablotv.com)

Valleys, trees, large buildings, what they built your house out of.

Sources of interference? Power lines, Cell towers, LED lightbulbs(LMAO), Rain, Snow, Sleet, Fog, Clouds.

You know what else causes OTA interference? LTE and 5G cell signals. Yeah, that's right. Your cell phone.

Here's some more for you. Washers, Dryers, Garage Door Openers.

Would you like some more? Sure. Industrial parks, shopping malls, big department and grocery stores. 

THERE'S A REASON TELEVISION MOVED AWAY FROM OTA.

It. Isn't. Reliable. In the year of our lord 2024, there are quite literally a million things that could be interfering or obstructing your OTA signal.

This isn't user error. It's fucking SCIENCE. OTA signals work via....line of sight. Holy s%*#.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

It's just people bitching to b****. The best part of CHSN is that it's free OTA. Theres not much else to add to that though. Go look at the original announcement or general Chicago discussion and see the positivity that generated. Not much else to discuss though beyond that which is why you now only get discourse about people being too lazy to change their inputs or something. Free OTA should have happened a long time ago and hopefully starts a trend for others.

If CHSN want more OTA viewership they should just make a deal with some indoor antenna maker  buy a bunch of antennas and make house calls to anyone who wants CHSN and charge people $100 to come to their home and show people how to set it up and set it up for them. If they can't get the channel to come in clearly then no charge for the house call. Try to do as many as you can in areas you know should get strong signals. Just have people answer a few prelimary questions 1st about the make and model of their TV. Hire temps who live in different areas to install in those areas. Or you can do it without CHSN buying the antennas as long as people say they have the own antenna .

Silly idea I know but it might take some salesmanship to show people it's not all that complex to watch the Bulls, Blackhawks and Sox for free. You create a few temp jobs that get a bonus perhaps for every house they do. It pays off when you have more sponsors buying airtime during games because you have better ratings from the house calls you made. You make sure each of your salesman people / technicians have business cards and spread the word to other fans. Maybe you make a commercial for local TV advertising "Do you want to watch the Bulls, Hawks and Sox on free TV but don't know how ? Call CHSN the new home of Bulls , Blackhawk and White Sox Television and answer some questions about  your TV and make an appointment to have one of our reps contact you .

4 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

You do realize that it has nothing to do with "figuring out how to use an antenna", right? That there are places where you just can't get a good OTA signal, even though you should be able to? That's the funny thing about radio waves. They don't pass through things very well.

Sources of interference? Power lines, Cell towers, LED lightbulbs(LMAO), Rain, Snow, Sleet, Fog, Clouds.

You know what else causes OTA interference? LTE and 5G cell signals. Yeah, that's right. Your cell phone.

Would you like some more? Sure. Industrial parks, shopping malls, big department and grocery stores. 

THERE'S A REASON TELEVISION MOVED AWAY FROM OTA, GENIUS.

It. Isn't. Reliable. In the year of our lord 2024, there are quite literally a million things that could be interfering or obstructing your OTA signal.

This isn't user error. It's fucking SCIENCE. OTA signals work via....line of sight. Holy s%*#.

Look, I already suspended one guy for personal attacks.   Don't be next.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If CHSN want more OTA viewership they should just make a deal with some indoor antenna maker  buy a bunch of antennas and make house calls to anyone who wants CHSN and charge people $100 to come to their home and show people how to set it up and set it up for them. If they can't get the channel to come in clearly then no charge for the house call. Try to do as many as you can in areas you know should get strong signals. Just have people answer a few prelimary questions 1st about the make and model of their TV. Hire temps who live in different areas to install in those areas. Or you can do it without CHSN buying the antennas as long as people say they have the own antenna .

Silly idea I know but it might take some salesmanship to show people it's not all that complex to watch the Bulls, Blackhawks and Sox for free. You create a few temp jobs that get a bonus perhaps for every house they do. It pays off when you have more sponsors buying airtime during games because you have better ratings from the house calls you made. You make sure each of your salesman people / technicians have business cards and spread the word to other fans. Maybe you make a commercial for local TV advertising "Do you want to watch the Bulls, Hawks and Sox on free TV but don't know how ? Call CHSN the new home of Bulls , Blackhawk and White Sox Television and answer some questions about  your TV and make an appointment to have one of our reps contact you .

Except that's just not how it works. Again....there are people who just cannot get a usable OTA signal where they live.

Column: Are the Blackhawks, Bulls, White Sox antenna-worthy? (chicagotribune.com)

Here's someone who works in the industry and actually has connections that COULD do exactly what you just suggested, and he was SOL.

39 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

THERE'S A REASON TELEVISION MOVED AWAY FROM OTA, GENIUS.

First off, relax. You and your buddy over there don't come off very well screeching into your monitor. 

I'm not denying there can be issues with antenna, just like there can be with any source. I mean a lot of those sources you listed are inherently problematic to either 4g or WiFi too. The previous guy's problem was that he couldn't get a signal 2000 miles away. Who knew? 

You may be seeing some confirmation bias in a vacuum like whatever Blackhawks forum youre reading. More people use OTA than subscription streaming like YouTubeTV and the like. If issues like you mentioned were so widespread, I would have a doubt that would be true.  It's only gaining more popularity and skews towards younger viewers than cable thanks to cord cutters. So to act like like it's some dead technology is bizarre and out of touch in itself. It cannot be easier to use and I say that as someone who has YoutubeTV. Truly live feed OTA in uncompressed HD is superior. If people want to pay for a free product, I do hope they get that right though. I don't see the downside in it.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

19 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

First off, relax. You and your buddy over there don't come off very well screeching into your monitor. 

I'm not denying there can be issues with antenna, just like there can be with any source. I mean a lot of those sources you listed are inherently problematic to either 4g or WiFi too. The previous guy's problem was that he couldn't get a signal 2000 miles away. Who knew? 

You may be seeing some confirmation bias in a vacuum like whatever Blackhawks forum youre reading. More people use OTA than subscription streaming like YouTubeTV and the like. If issues like you mentioned were so widespread, I would have a doubt that would be true.  It's only gaining more popularity and skews towards younger viewers than cable thanks to cord cutters. So to act like like it's some dead technology is bizarre and out of touch in itself. It cannot be easier to use and I say that as someone who has YoutubeTV. Truly live feed OTA in uncompressed HD is superior. If people want to pay for a free product, I do hope they get that right though. I don't see the downside in it.

Actually, the OTA issues with this channel seem to be specific to the morons running it. Which is why a lot of people can get all the other channels, and not these. They went with a bottom of the barrel broadcaster for the broadcast out of Chicago. WJYS sucks and according to an insider, could barely pay their bills. Which is why their station has had nothing but trash, and has nothing but trash aside from CHSN. They broadcast TEN channels on a single signal and nobody else is doing that.

image.png

This is why you have people who are in the Chicago area....getting a better signal from the South Bend broadcast. There are actually people in Michigan who are getting the broadcast from South Bend, when people in Chicago are not. WNDU is a much better broadcast station, and it shows.

Again....clownshoes operations.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

17 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Living in an area without blackout restrictions and complaining you won’t be able to find the games is amazing lmao

Games only being available on MLB.tv but being blacked out locally would be so reisndorfian.

The effort required to make OTA work isn't the point. OTA being virtually the only option for most viewers in this day and age on day one is. The new network and its lack of availability has virtually zero impact on me and I still think they are fucking it up royally. It is a valid critique.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The guy said he lives in Washington state and he’s bitching about not being able to find the games. 

Oh I know. OTA isn’t an option for him, but he is spared the biggest hurdle any cord cutter deals with locally. Assuming the games will be accessible on mlb.tv of course.