CHSN to be available on antenna in Chicago

Heads22

15 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Update:

Tried to scan for the channel the other day and it didn't come up.  I'm in the western burbs.  Assuming the channel is live to watch over the air now, right?

I’m in the western suburbs as well and I didn’t even have to scan for them on my TV.  I was able to see them on 62.2 and 62.3 and with a good signal (no choppiness).  Try to go to these channels manually by punching in the numbers on your remote.  If you can hear the audio but have no display (black screen), you may have the same issue as I have with a couple slightly older TV’s that support MPEG-2 but not the H.264 video codec they are using.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

If this was already posted I apologize, Chuck will be doing the CHSN White Sox pre and post. No word on Ozzie yet. 

Chuck's X , sorry can't get link

as White Sox pregame and postgame host! The podcast is coming over, too. Looking forward to what’s next and serving Chicago sports fans: the best on the planet.
Edited by Falstaff
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

If this was already posted I apologize, Chuck will be doing the CHSN White Sox pre and post. No word on Ozzie yet. 

as White Sox pregame and postgame host! The podcast is coming over, too. Looking forward to what’s next and serving Chicago sports fans: the best on the planet.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Ozzie was in the commercial for the new channel, so you have to figure he is coming back.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2024 at 1:10 PM, BrittBurnsFan said:

How accessible are the OTA channels in Chicagoland?  How far do those signals reach?

You can get a TV antenna to either roof mount or attic mount if those options are available for you. There is a web site that will provide the heading in degrees for the CSHN channels  62.02 and 62.03 from your home.  Then use your phone's compass app to to point the antenna accordingly. Previously, my house had existing RG-6 cable to a few TV locations in the home for cable boxes. Once I started streaming I repurposed the cable for antenna and tied therm together with a splitter then to the antenna in the attic. Then get your OLED.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

That's the problem, though. There are a whole shitload of people who bought antennas and tried to watch OTA, and could not. People in the city, people in near suburbs, etc. People who SHOULD be able to get the game, but cannot. Because for the 100th time, radio broadcast signals aren't reliable in 2024. 

The availability is garbage because of the station they have broadcasting for them in the Chicago area, and the geography of the Chicagoland area. Not to mention, people with older televisions are completely SOL because of the video format they are broadcasting... even if they can get a signal.

I really don't care, because I'm technically savvy, and will just watch sports on the internet, with a VPN. But this launch is an unmitigated disaster for most people.

Who is using a tube/SD tv in 2024?

And if they were, they'd already know that they'd need a cable or satellite receiver to process digital signals, or a converter box for OTA. the feds spent a ton of money subsidizing DTV converter boxes back in 2009-2010. FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.

sides, you can buy a 40 inch tv now for around $100. When i got my 42 inch LG top of the line tv in 2007, it was $1600.

18 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m in the western suburbs as well and I didn’t even have to scan for them on my TV.  I was able to see them on 62.2 and 62.3 and with a good signal (no choppiness).  Try to go to these channels manually by punching in the numbers on your remote.  If you can hear the audio but have no display (black screen), you may have the same issue as I have with a couple slightly older TV’s that support MPEG-2 but not the H.264 video codec they are using.

and how did you solve the audio only problem?

3 minutes ago, ewokpelts said:

And if they were, they'd already know that they'd need a cable or satellite receiver to process digital signals, or a converter box for OTA. the feds spent a ton of money subsidizing DTV converter boxes back in 2009-2010. FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.

sides, you can buy a 40 inch tv now for around $100. When i got my 42 inch LG top of the line tv in 2007, it was $1600.

CHSN is broadcasting in H.264 video encoding rather than the standard MPEG-2 format which is leading to some people with slightly older HDTV’s to only be able to play the audio from the channels but not the video.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ewokpelts said:

...what? lol

Where did I say anything about tube/SD TV?

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

CHSN is broadcasting in H.264 video encoding rather than the standard MPEG-2 format which is leading to some people with slightly older HDTV’s to only be able to play the audio from the channels but not the video.

Hahah, so the OTA signal isn't compatible with a number of television sets. Fan-fucking-tastic.

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2024 at 8:10 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

It's going to annoy me to no end that the main twitter account went with @CHSN__ as it's handle when @CHSN is available.

Edit: Lol, it has to be two underscores because otherwise it goes to some kid's profile who hasn't posted since 2016.

That's next level.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's going to annoy me to no end that the main twitter account went with @CHSN__ as it's handle when @CHSN is available.

Edit: Lol, it has to be two underscores because otherwise it goes to some kid's profile who hasn't posted since 2016.

That's next level.

And why didn’t they just take @CHSN?

Surprised no one else hasn’t taken it yet as a spoof/parody account.

11 hours ago, ewokpelts said:

People on that retro game life.  Tube tvs for life.

On 10/7/2024 at 4:53 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Hmm.  I have one of those shitty Samsung "smart" remotes that doesn't have a number pad.  Smart tv with a dumb ass remote.  I'll have to see if there is a way to still manually add a channel instead of trying to scan for it.  Though usually if it's something that has a good enough signal, scanning picks it up.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, soulfly said:

People on that retro game life.  Tube tvs for life.

Hmm.  I have one of those shitty Samsung "smart" remotes that doesn't have a number pad.  Smart tv with a dumb ass remote.  I'll have to see if there is a way to still manually add a channel instead of trying to scan for it.  Though usually if it's something that has a good enough signal, scanning picks it up.

I absolutely hate that Samsung and other TV companies have started to do that with their remotes.  I have a couple Samsung TVs and that has been such an annoyance to me that I buy their universal remote just to get the extra buttons.  I just found there is a “Prime Big Deal” to get two of these universal Samsung remotes for $10 bucks.  I just placed an order.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7B6KLH3?psc=1&smid=A3US3KTV1R02M4&ref_=chk_typ_quicklook_titleToDp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

That's next level.

What. The. f***.

Why didn't they just take @CHSN?????

• TLR 1