CHSN to be available on antenna in Chicago

Heads22

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

I’m trying to understand several things:

- How does JR make money off CHSN if games are over the antenna? Is it low overhead and no cable agreement?

- Why didn’t they do something like Marquee?

- What percentage of fans will buy the antenna to watch the games? Or will an agreement be reached with cable providers before the season?

- What is the audio and visual quality of the channel?

And several more…it just doesn’t make sense to me why there is no channel on cable and no app to stream/pay for. It makes me think some agreement should be reached. Maybe Laurence Holmes is right, the new channel will flash something on the broadcasts to have people call Comcast and complain to try and put pressure on the company (which I understand doesn’t have much to gain).

They're likely to reach a deal with comcast at some point and probably some non youtube tv streamers as well. It is also expected that they'll distribute direct to consumers in some fashion at some point as well via an app. The revenue brought in from local tv deals was a huge payroll driver though for majority of clubs which is a big issue. There is definitely another work stoppage coming. 

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to figure out what's so hard to understand that people have different preferences as consumers.

Some people prefer to go exclusively with cable or satellite.

Some people prefer to go exclusively web-based.

Some people don't have a problem watching things with an over-the-air antenna.

Some people don't have a problem VPNing and watching pirated broadcasts.

I'm not sure why people get angry at other people's preferences for how to watch baseball. Can someone please explain this anger to me, logically?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Advertising....if they can prove or validate their ratings/share.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  Instead of the carriers being able to sell the ad time, they do directly and keep all of the dollars.

Just have a drink for each Ankin Law commercial you see and each time you hear “sponsored by Binny’s”.  You’ll need to go to Binny’s to buy more booze just to make it through a game.

Is Beggars Pizza still around?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I'm trying to figure out what's so hard to understand that people have different preferences as consumers.

I'm not sure why people get angry at other people's preferences for how to watch baseball. Can someone please explain this anger to me, logically?

Because right now the Bulls are available only on one of those options.

It would seem silly and dumb to launch a network with only one of those options available in the regular season of a major sports team in one of the largest cities in the USA, but saying that this is dumb is an attack on the people who made the decisions that led to it happening, which means it is an attack on Reinsdorf and Reinsdorf must be defended. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

I don't get it either. Having an OTA option is great. But OTA being virtually the only option on launch is ridiculous in 2024.  It's not as if the powers behind this haven't had plenty of time to iron out the kinks.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It would seem silly and dumb to launch a network with only one of those options available in the regular season of a major sports team in one of the largest cities in the USA, but saying that this is dumb is an attack on the people who made the decisions that led to it happening, which means it is an attack on Reinsdorf and Reinsdorf must be defended. 

Eh, it sounds good, but in reality there is always this period of time where teams are homeless.  It happened to the Yankees with YES, it happened to the Dodgers, and it happened in Houston where they had so few carriage agreements they managed a 0.0 rating at one point.  This is how nine figure corporations negotiate with other billionaires.  They go as they think they can go to win a negotiation for a few more points of profit margin.  None of this should be surprising, and it sure isn't unusual.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I don't get it either. Having an OTA option is great. But OTA being virtually the only option on launch is ridiculous in 2024.  It's not as if the powers behind this haven't had plenty of time to iron out the kinks.

Just get an antenna and shut the hell up!  🧌 🤣

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, tray said:

Except I already have all of those channels, and don't need an antenna to watch them. So no, I won't spend $50 on an antenna for a single channel because the people running that channel are imbeciles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I guess my post isn't really directed at the insanity of the situation (where they've effectively implemented a blackout over a significant portion of the local market), but rather at the posters who are diving into personal attacks on each other over their choice of streaming, antenna, set top box, or whatever. It kind of blows my mind that people get worked up over things that don't affect them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I guess my post isn't really directed at the insanity of the situation (where they've effectively implemented a blackout over a significant portion of the local market), but rather at the posters who are diving into personal attacks on each other over their choice of streaming, antenna, set top box, or whatever. It kind of blows my mind that people get worked up over things that don't affect them.

Because if it reflects badly on Reinsdorf, it has to be challenged forcefully.