CHSN to be available on antenna in Chicago

Heads22

7 hours ago, Falstaff said:

PK Wrigley was a pioneer in the belief of the power of television and baseball, way ahead of his time.  

PK Wrigley was as ignorant about the cost benefits of television and sports as almost every other owner of the time was. He basically gave the rights away for free to WGN (and earlier, had Cubs games on both WGN and WBKB for nothing). He WAS very insightful about TV being free advertising for the team, but he made no money off the TV rights.

@Dick Allen is absolutely right. The teams were basically on equal footing until the early 80s, when the Sox moved off free TV. But even then, the Sox were still right there with the Cubs "83 and '84 -- they were the first team in Chicago to draw over two million fans two years in a row in those years.

But the combination of the Tribune Company's national reach as a superstation, along with Harry Caray moving from the Sox to the Cubs began the real momentum of the North Side as the dominant team. The Sox came back with the move to the new stadium in '91. But after the '94 strike, where JR was the most prominent union-buster on ownership side, the Sox were diminished even more. And the Sammy Sosa phenomenon in the late 90s, culminating with the '98 season, really killed the Sox.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, waltwilliams said:

PK Wrigley was as ignorant about the cost benefits of television and sports as almost every other owner of the time was. He basically gave the rights away for free to WGN (and earlier, had Cubs games on both WGN and WBKB for nothing). He WAS very insightful about TV being free advertising for the team, but he made no money off the TV rights.

@Dick Allen is absolutely right. The teams were basically on equal footing until the early 80s, when the Sox moved off free TV. But even then, the Sox were still right there with the Cubs "83 and '84 -- they were the first team in Chicago to draw over two million fans two years in a row in those years.

But the combination of the Tribune Company's national reach as a superstation, along with Harry Caray moving from the Sox to the Cubs began the real momentum of the North Side as the dominant team. The Sox came back with the move to the new stadium in '91. But after the '94 strike, where JR was the most prominent union-buster on ownership side, the Sox were diminished even more. And the Sammy Sosa phenomenon in the late 90s, culminating with the '98 season, really killed the Sox.

Cutting it all aside - would the Cubs have ever made it to where they were without WGN and Harry Carray in specific. I really think that - combined with mistakes on Sox front - is what drove the huge gap.  

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Cutting it all aside - would the Cubs have ever made it to where they were without WGN and Harry Carray in specific. I really think that - combined with mistakes on Sox front - is what drove the huge gap.  

The renaissance of Lakeview/Wrigleyville was what turned the tide and essentially created a tidal wave of support.  What Ricketts has done to further enhance that area is amazing. 

22 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Those were main components of them 'taking over' for wont of a better phrase also don't forget John McDonough (who grew up a Sox fan) marketing Wrigley Field as the place to be regardless of how bad the team was on the field. 

4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

The renaissance of Lakeview/Wrigleyville was what turned the tide and essentially created a tidal wave of support.  What Ricketts has done to further enhance that area is amazing. 

The Tribune using their vast media empire to s%*# on the Sox, Bridgeport, and the Southside in general at every opportunity didn't help matters either. 

On 9/15/2024 at 3:56 PM, Heads22 said:

On 9/15/2024 at 7:40 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

The new network will also be available on DirecTV, they reached an agreement a few days ago. 

On 9/16/2024 at 5:11 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

No announcements of it being included with any live tv streaming apps?

On 9/16/2024 at 11:10 AM, BrittBurnsFan said:

I gotta believe they will stream this with some services...right?  I mean we are all Sox-centric here but no way the Bulls/Blackhawks are going to go for no streaming (I know the White Sox/Bulls are the same)...no reason the Bulls wouldn't attract eyeballs!

How accessible are the OTA channels in Chicagoland?  How far do those signals reach?

The link that heads22 provided and I included in this post is super informative if you click on the CHSN link Heads22 provided. Read it thoroughly and also click on the link they provide within their advice in the Over The Air (OTA) section about antennas from thefreeTVProject.org

Your ability to watch games depends on how much effort you're willing to put into using antenna TV or your willingness to pay $100+ per month to DirecTV to get their streaming package that carries CHSN. This is a work in progress but for now DirecTV has the edge and that's a hefty price to pay.

SO you must take advantage of OTA free TV and figure out how to make the best use of your Smart TV ability to scan for local channels. This will involve the use of some sort of antenna to pick up that channel and your antenna should be pointing at Willis Tower for best results. If you can pick it up using an indoor antenna start there because it will be the cheapest. I have cut the cord so streaming services are ideal  but if you enjoy NFL football and can watch it on OTA channels like Fox, ABC ,NBC and CBS then you should already be using some type of antenna on your smarTV to pick up those channels depending on where you live and the strength of the signal. Each channel may broadcast from different points so the reception depends on where you live and the ability to adjust your antenna accordingly.

It's a lot to learn so it depends on your patience and ability to decipher if an indoor or outdoor antenna is best. I'm in California so I cant give advice on whats the best approach in Chicago to get CHSN OTA but if you're willing to put in the time and effort and money to figure out what's best its still way cheaper even to install an outdoor antenna if you must rather than pay for DirecTV every month. Where I live I can pick up the OTA football channels just using a basic radio antenna that i shove into the coaxial output on my smart TV and playing with its location depending on the channel. It's a bit unsightly but basically it works and I just used basic wires for the antenna I had among old electronics stuff. I can pick up other channels too like PBS and multiple Korean, or Vietnamese stations. Basically you just use the INPUT on you SmarTV and scan for channels and whatever you get depends on how good your antenna is and where its pointed. It might change every time you do a scan. The weather is a lot worse in Chicago than in So Cal obviously so as I said read up on those antenna articles and figure it out if cost savings mean anything to you.

It's unfortunate the channel is only HD starting Oct 1. That's ok for football and baseball but 4K really helps if you're a hockey fan in following the puck. You local ABC, NBC, Fox and CBS all broadcast in 4K as far as I know and it would help OTA broadcasts of CHSN to be in 4K too. I have no idea if that's under consideration for the CHSN OTA channels but it should be.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

And this is why Reindorf partnered with the Wirtz'es to buy up all the parking lots around the UC in order to create the same type of atmosphere as Wrigleyville around the UC and the Sox are not his financial priority now. This is why it appears Jerry is willing to beef up infrastructure and the latest articles about that. Its way cheaper than paying Free Agents.

It's probably all lip service anyway just to keep the majority of funds available for the UC project which is what his heirs will keep unless JR blows it like he did with Sportsvision. He may have been ahead of his time with that idea when the technology was worse but now he's behind the times and trying to catch up with the Real Estate sports mega empire that he now thinks is necessary to compete today. He cant do that around the current area in Bridgeport which is why he's been toying with the 78 project too but that's a long shot and why the Sox will be sold. If he could do in Bridgeport what he's doing around the UC he probably would. Once the Sox are sold following his death that should give his heirs a lot of money to finish off the UC project depending on how fast they can start building housing and sports malls and turning it into their own Wrigleyville.

16 hours ago, waltwilliams said:

I lived the whole experience as a diehard Sox fan.  WGN TV and radio was responsible for creating Cub fans in Chicago, down state, Iowa long before becoming a Super Station. 

St. Louis Cardinals did the same thing with their 50,000-watt blow torch KMOX.  The Cardinals built a loyal fanbase throughout the South. 

The direct contrast was Dollar Bill Wirtz approach. The Sox were somewhere in between with their channel 44 and complete failure SportsVision.

I am not disputing anything Dick Allen said about who out drew who, Cubs or Sox.  I have argued almost using the same exact words with my buddy who was a Cub fan, god rest his soul.

I am just trying to point out the road that got us here.

Edited by Falstaff

"The Comcast deal will be the tough one."

Just what the millions of Xfinity customers who are fans of the Bulls, Blackhawks, and White Sox, want to hear!

By the way, if you're more than 60-70 miles from Willis Tower, good luck getting any of these games OTA. Even suburbs like Naperville are going to struggle with signal quality.naperville.jpg

Suffice it to say, yellow isn't good. The signal will be hit or miss, and weather dependent. Red is unusable.

10 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

"The Comcast deal will be the tough one."

Just what the millions of Xfinity customers who are fans of the Bulls, Blackhawks, and White Sox, want to hear!

By the way, if you're more than 60-70 miles from Willis Tower, good luck getting any of these games OTA. Even suburbs like Naperville are going to struggle with signal quality.naperville.jpg

Suffice it to say, yellow isn't good. The signal will be hit or miss, and weather dependent. Red is unusable.

Shades of the move to WFLD-TV in 1968!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Shades of the move to WFLD-TV in 1968!

The reality is that they are going to be on a channel that is only broadcast from one tower in the Chicagoland area, and a whole bunch of people that aren't directly in the Chicago metropolitan area are going to be screwed. Like, screwed badly enough that even installing an antenna on your roof isn't going to help anything.

By the way, I wouldn't get my hopes up for YouTube TV. Of the teams that have moved to OTA recently, only the Anaheim Ducks have a channel on YouTube TV that shows all of their games.

OTA.jpg

Mavericks, Kraken and Golden Knights have one of their channels currently on YouTube TV. The issue is those channels will NOT be showing all the locally televised games, only simulcasting a select few per season. So just having those channels isn't enough. Since those channels are the main ABC and NBC affiliates in their respective region, most of the time they'll only be good for pre and post game shows—if that.

My recollection is that the Marquee rollout had very limited carriage at first, and it didn't really get resolved until games were scheduled to be aired. At least this has some option to actually watch the games if your streaming/cable option isn't negotiated yet. I think the Dodgers had this issue for a couple of years. So this couuld be a long term issue.