CHSN to be available on antenna in Chicago

Heads22

1 hour ago, InTheDriversSeat said:

This isn't hilarious at all.  Just the opposite, in fact.  Smart move with more and more viewers cutting the cable, the games will be available for free to everyone using an antenna.  I haven't subscribed to cable (or a dish) for 25 years, but I heard the cost is around $200 per month.  So you would rather pay $2,400 per year because you can't figure out how to hook up an antenna?

Likely when the Bulls and Blackhawks regular season gets started, I suspect deals will be worked out with Comcast/Xfinity and other cable companies in the Chicago area.  The pay-TV distributors would be loosing a ton of customers if White Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks were not available.

As others have mentioned, Channels 62-2 and 62-3 are going to convert from SD to HD on October 1st.

That's correct.  Under federal law, all TV's are required to have a tuner built in, but antennas are sold separately.

I would not recommend that antenna.  Looks like junk.  Probably works in the city limits of Chicago but might as well fork over the money for a better quality indoor antenna to get Chicago's low-power TV stations.

jerry is probably taking a financial hit with this endeavor.  Comcast/Xfinity and other distributors are not going pay as much to carry CHSN since the product is no longer a cable exclusive that many viewers can now receive for free using an antenna.

You actually believe that the overwhelming majority of their fanbase (old people) are unable to figure how how to hook up an antenna?  It's actually very simple.  Also, I would say that old people will be able to understand this method more than young people because old people can remember the days when all Sox games were televised on free TV before cable TV and RSN's existed.  Young people have the mindset that all TV broadcasting is charged.

I believe Jerry owned 50% of NBC Sports Chicago.  This isn't much different what happened at Washington, DC.  The two CHSN channels are probably going to occupy the same channels that were used for 'NBC Sports Chicago' and 'NBC Sports Chicago Plus' so this will be a seamless transition as well. 

^ The circle on that map isn't accurate.  It's way too big.  Here's a good map.  As you can see, the signal is not trash.  The green and yellow areas show where Channel 62 WJYS comes in with rabbit ears.  I had no problem receiving Channel 62 using rabbit ears at my former home in central Lake County IL:

https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?map=Y&appid=25076ff36dad76a5016dbc38667e53ad&site=1

False.  A roof antenna will suffice for everyone in the Chicago metro.  Rabbit ears will be a problem for viewers located at far out suburbs.  Yes, one antenna but transmitting from Willis Tower (1673 feet, 140,000 watts).  A few years down the road, Next Generation TV (ATSC 3.0) will allow a single TV station to transmit from multiple towers.

CHSN is going be available on BOTH free over-the-air TV and pay/cable TV (for people who like to waste money and pay to watch programming that they can receive for free).  There will be more deals. 

The problem with HD antennas in some areas is that while you may get good reception with it positioned in one location for some channels, other channels will be choppy.  Probably need to mount a rooftop antenna in some areas to get a good signal for all channels.  I have yet to find the magical HD antenna for a single TV that works perfectly for all channels, and people don’t want to mess around adjusting an HD antenna like bunny ears in the old days.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

Paducah seems like almost all Cards' fans...must be for Bulls?

According to MLB southern Illinois belongs to:  White Sox, Cardinals, Cubs (excluding area east of Mississippi River next to St. Louis which is Cardinals territory only).

The Sox had over-the-air affiliates in the past in southern Illinois. 

TV territories.png

The problem with HD antennas in some areas is that while you may get good reception with it positioned in one location for some channels, other channels will be choppy.  Probably need to mount a rooftop antenna in some areas to get a good signal for all channels.  I have yet to find the magical HD antenna for a single TV that works perfectly for all channels, and people don’t want to mess around adjusting am antenna like in the old days.

There is no such thing as an HD antenna.  Antenna designs have changed over the years, but an antenna that's 50 years old can receive HD signals.  An antenna does not know if the signal is transmitting in analog or digital.

Reception quality depends how far you are located from the towers in downtown Chicago.  Viewers located within about 35 miles of downtown should be able to receive all of the full power signals with moving the rabbit ears around.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, InTheDriversSeat said:

According to MLB southern Illinois belongs to:  White Sox, Cardinals, Cubs (excluding area east of Mississippi River next to St. Louis which is Cardinals territory only).

The Sox had over-the-air affiliates in the past in southern Illinois. 

TV territories.png

Crazy no Cubs blue in Iowa. Or Cardinals in northern Arkansas

Edited by caulfield12

21 minutes ago, InTheDriversSeat said:

There is no such thing as an HD antenna.  Antenna designs have changed over the years, but an antenna that's 50 years old can receive HD signals.  An antenna does not know if the signal is transmitting in analog or digital.

Reception quality depends how far you are located from the towers in downtown Chicago.  Viewers located within about 35 miles of downtown should be able to receive all of the full power signals with moving the rabbit ears around.  

Yes, you are correct.  I am just referring to it by its marketed name because it allows you to receive high definition (HD) channels over the air (OTA), but it also allows you to get standard definition (SD) channels as well to your point.

I am in the west suburbs, well within 35 miles of downtown and constantly adjusting an antenna is a little bit of an annoyance.  But I guess free is free so that is the price you pay.

Crazy no Cubs blue in Iowa. Or Cardinals in northern Arkansas

Hard to tell on the map, but there is blue (White Sox and Cubs) in Iowa.

The entire state of Iowa is considered home market for 6 teams: White Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Twins, Cardinals, Royals.  Doesn't mean however that all games from the 6 teams are available in Iowa.

I suspect CHSN will have affiliate stations in Iowa that are not announced yet.

The reality is, most people aren't going to buy and hookup an antenna to watch these three shitty teams. I'm a big sports fan, and there's zero chance I'm doing it. It's 2024. Broadcasting comes over the internet, not through a fucking radio signal. Losing the ability to pause, rewind, and record a game without spending a ton of money on an OTA DVR, is a deal-breaker. Having to have an antenna on every TV I might want to watch a game on, is a deal-breaker. Not being able to watch on my computer in my office, is a deal breaker. I'm not even considering it. I will just not watch them, like a WHOLE BUNCH of people I know.

We are talking about putting a fucking antenna on a roof to watch sports teams, in 2024? LMAO. What a fucking joke.

For anyone looking for some reassurance about being able to watch the Bulls/Hawks in October without DirecTV or an antenna? This sure as hell isn't going to help:

Do you know why CHSN is going to fail? Because the guy running it is just another Reinsdorf asshole made President because he's buddies with Brooks Boyer and JR.

Coyle graduated from Notre Dame and then Harvard Law School, and after earning those degrees, learned the programming side and the business side, as well as production, content, and making deals. In 2008, he co-founded Silver Chalice Ventures with Brooks Boyer, another Notre Dame grad, under the direction of Jerry Reinsdorf and other co-owners of the Chicago White Sox.

Also, asking your customers to jump through an additional hoop to watch your teams is an absolutely terrible business decision. The fact that people can watch the teams for free OTA with an antenna is great. What's not great is alienating the rest of your customer base that consumes their sports through the internet...

47 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

The reality is, most people aren't going to buy and hookup an antenna to watch these three shitty teams. I'm a big sports fan, and there's zero chance I'm doing it. It's 2024. Broadcasting comes over the internet, not through a fucking radio signal. Losing the ability to pause, rewind, and record a game without spending a ton of money on an OTA DVR, is a deal-breaker. Having to have an antenna on every TV I might want to watch a game on, is a deal-breaker. Not being able to watch on my computer in my office, is a deal breaker. I'm not even considering it. I will just not watch them, like a WHOLE BUNCH of people I know.

We are talking about putting a fucking antenna on a roof to watch sports teams, in 2024? LMAO. What a fucking joke.

For anyone looking for some reassurance about being able to watch the Bulls/Hawks in October without DirecTV or an antenna? This sure as hell isn't going to help:

Do you know why CHSN is going to fail? Because the guy running it is just another Reinsdorf asshole made President because he's buddies with Brooks Boyer and JR.

LMAO. Literally no one is talking about doing this. It’s come a long way and easier now than this. It’s something you literally just attach to a tv now.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

LMAO. Literally no one is talking about doing this. It’s come a long way and easier now than this. It’s something you literally just attach to a tv now.

I was referring to the poster above me that mentioned an outdoor antenna. And if you look at the link he posted, there's a whole bunch of suburbs where indoor reception will be "hard". It's like people don't remember how much rabbit ears fucking sucked. It's a downgrade in every aspect. 

11 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The Marquee Network blows CSN out of the water and it is actually amazing to see how little effort is put into a CSN production.  I am sure whatever this new thing is will be as cheaply produced as possible. 

Not for Bears coverage, it doesn't. Marquee was a huge downgrade. 

I'm really not looking forward to the CHSN broadcast. The commentators will be heavily policed, and they will do nothing but parrot the company line. Especially when it comes to Bulls and White Sox coverage. 

1 hour ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Of course, Hahn also graduated HLS in 1996.

• Paper Bag 1

4 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

And you think CHSN will be any better?

No I'm just saying it's already terrible any way. It's a very low bar. 

Although, it would be cool if they pulled a page out of Marquee Network and showed Minor League games on the channel when there isn't a Cubs game to air.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

No I'm just saying it's already terrible any way. It's a very low bar. 

Although, it would be cool if they pulled a page out of Marquee Network and showed Minor League games on the channel when there isn't a Cubs game to air.

I guess I just don't care because I only watch it for the pre/post game and the sports. And I have no complaints in that regard.

On 9/24/2024 at 9:52 AM, Rusty said:

Tick. Tock.  

Less than 2 weeks from launch.  Still no agreement with Comcast.  Still no announcement of a direct to consumer option.  Still no option for a nationwide stream.  Still no announcement of on-air talent.  

I didn’t think it was possible but this might end up being a bigger debacle than Sportsvision.  I’m not watching the Sox or Bulls but don’t mind putting the Hawks on as background noise.  Unfortunately I’m out of market so OTA isn’t an option and I’m sure as f*** not paying for DirecTV or Center Ice.  Guess I’ll watch the Kraken instead 🤷‍♂️

I watch pretty much watch whatever games I want for free on my TV just with a bit of patience and Reddit. And I don't even know anything about using a VPN.  Took a bit of experimentation and it's always changing but better than paying for sports packages and cable.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

6 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Right. It's just more Reinsdorf nepotism. There's no reason to have any faith at all in CHSN.

Faith?  Like I am not taking up religion here.  I am just going to tune in for a while and watch a game occasionally.  I don't need Jesus, just a feed.  And just like we have seen nationwide with these launches, the billionaires will fight over pennies, things will be delayed, and then it will get figured out and forgotten about.  It's not a war crime.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Faith?  Like I am not taking up religion here.  I am just going to tune in for a while and watch a game occasionally.  I don't need Jesus, just a feed.  And just like we have seen nationwide with these launches, the billionaires will fight over pennies, things will be delayed, and then it will get figured out and forgotten about.  It's not a war crime.

Faith that the network won't be a total disaster. You know the word can be used outside of a religious connotation, right?

Reinsdorf is running CHSN. It's going to fucking suck, and everyone is going to say "I told you so."

7 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Faith that the network won't be a total disaster. You know the word can be used outside of a religious connotation, right?

Reinsdorf is running CHSN. It's going to fucking suck, and everyone is going to say "I told you so."

Reinsdorf ran this last network and it was a disaster.  What else is new?  There is a complete absence of decent programming besides the games and game related materials.  What am I missing here?

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Reinsdorf ran this last network and it was a disaster.  What else is new?  There is a complete absence of decent programming besides the games and game related materials.  What am I missing here?

Reinsdorf only had a 50% stake in the last network. Who really gives a s%*# about the programming outside of the games and game related materials? lol. Do people tune into Marquee outside of watching Cubs pregame, games, and postgame? Quite literally nobody gives a f*** about the non-sports broadcasting on a regional sports network.

You're missing the fact that the only way to watch the Bulls and Blackhawks as of right now is to be a DirecTV customer, or watch on a fucking antenna... And that doesn't seem like it's going to be changing anytime soon. They are alienating a massive segment of their viewing population.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

2 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Reinsdorf only had a 50% stake in the last network. Who really gives a s%*# about the programming outside of the games and game related materials? lol. Do people tune into Marquee outside of watching Cubs pregame, games, and postgame? Quite literally nobody gives a f*** about the non-sports broadcasting on a regional sports network.

You're missing the fact that the only way to watch the Bulls and Blackhawks as of right now is to be a DirecTV customer, or watch on a fucking antenna... And that doesn't seem like it's going to be changing anytime soon. They are alienating a massive segment of their viewing population.

I have Youtube TV and I don't feel changing. I'm certainly not just to watch Hawks and Bulls game. I'll have a decision to make in the spring though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

OK, so literally all that matters is the games.  Cool.  I agree with that.  Not sure what else is left to be more of a disaster then.  These carriage agreements will eventually be done.  Literally the same s%*# happened for the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros and others.  They are going to have the same stooges as broadcasters.  They already have cheap ass graphics, so there isn't much of a chance there.  They are already have in house stooges running their pre and post, and odds are it will be the same teams doing it on the new network.  Even if it isn't 10/1 but 10/5 or 10/15 these deals will be done.  Once that is done, it will be the same old, same old.

• Like 1