CHSN to be available on antenna in Chicago

Heads22

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have Youtube TV and I don't feel changing. I'm certainly not just to watch Hawks and Bulls game. I'll have a decision to make in the spring though. 

They keep talking about the "cut the cord" customers, and those are the customers they have alienated the most as of now. It's honestly amazing. They seem to have zero awareness that people that "cut the cord" are.....streaming over the internet. Not watching on a god damn antenna. If you have YouTube TV, there's zero reason whatsoever to have an antenna. 

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

OK, so literally all that matters is the games.  Cool.  I agree with that.  Not sure what else is left to be more of a disaster then.  These carriage agreements will eventually be done.  Literally the same s%*# happened for the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros and others.  They are going to have the same stooges as broadcasters.  They already have cheap ass graphics, so there isn't much of a chance there.  They are already have in house stooges running their pre and post, and odds are it will be the same teams doing it on the new network.  Even if it isn't 10/1 but 10/5 or 10/15 these deals will be done.  Once that is done, it will be the same old, same old.

You believe it will get done. Good for you. I do not share that opinion. I don't trust Reinsdorf or his lackeys to do anything correctly. If they can f*** it up, they probably will. Have we learned nothing from being White Sox fans?

I wouldn't be shocked if halfway through the Bulls and Blackhawks season, DirecTV and OTA are still the only options to tune in. Jason Coyle seems to have NO answers whatsoever about carriage agreements beyond that.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

1 hour ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I was referring to the poster above me that mentioned an outdoor antenna. And if you look at the link he posted, there's a whole bunch of suburbs where indoor reception will be "hard". It's like people don't remember how much rabbit ears fucking sucked. It's a downgrade in every aspect. 

Rabbit ears sucked because TVs sucked. I came from the era of nothing but channels 2 through 13 and some UHF channels. Every picture on every channel was grainy .

Technology has come a long way and TVs are built to receive streaming ,OTA  , cable and have browser apps. They allow us to watch what we want in several different ways. Broadcasting sports is evolving constantly and there are no easy answers even in 2024.

I'm happy I have choices and theater quality experience in home. If I have to role up my sleeves and use my brain to figure things out I'll do it.

It's better than paying $105/ month to DirecTV with a 2 year commitment. Any company trying to to lock you into signing away your choice to get a better deal somewhere else sucks.

1 minute ago, Paulie4Pres said:

You believe it will get done. Good for you. I do not share that opinion. I don't trust Reinsdorf or his lackeys to do correctly. If they can f*** it up, they probably will. Have we learned nothing from being White Sox fans?

I wouldn't be shocked if halfway through the Bulls and Blackhawks season, DirecTV and OTA are still the only options to tune in. Jason Coyle seems to have NO answers whatsoever about carriage agreements beyond that.

You don't think this is done like ever?  Do you have any other example of this ever happening in this industry?  Becuase I don't.

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Rabbit ears sucked because TVs sucked. I came from the era of nothing but channels 2 through 13 and some UHF channels. Every picture on every channel was grainy .

Technology has come a long way and TVs are built to receive streaming ,OTA  , cable and have browser apps. They allow us to watch what we want in several different ways. Broadcasting sports is evolving constantly and there are no easy answers even in 2024.

I'm happy I have choices and theater quality experience in home. If I have to role up my sleeves and use my brain to figure things out I'll do it.

It's better than paying $105/ month to DirecTV with a 2 year commitment. Any company trying to to lock you into signing away your choice to get a better deal somewhere else sucks.

You do realize that absolutely nothing has changed in this regard, right? Rabbit ears sucked because radio wave broadcasts are unreliable. Period. That's why your picture was grainy. It had nothing to do with the television (a tuner is a tuner, it's all about the signal strength...). They are still using the same technology for transmission(radio waves). If your signal isn't good enough now, you won't get a grainy picture(that's an analog TV thing). You just won't get a picture at all or it will freeze (digital TV). And actually, today, broadcast signals are limited in strength more than they were back in the day... 

It's amazing to me people don't understand this. Look at the rabbitears link posted a couple pages back. Look at all the areas with yellow/red that are within the range of the broadcast antenna... Know why they can't get a good signal? Things like elevation....trees....buildings.... All of these block radio waves. lol

Edited by Paulie4Pres

21 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Nobody is mad about giving the games away for free. People are mad about the LACK OF OPTIONS for viewing their teams.

It's free over the air. That is the option lol. You don't need another option as there is no better option. I say that as a YouTube TV subscriber. How could anyone be upset about this?

12 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

It's free over the air. That is the option lol. You don't need another option as there is no better option. I say that as a YouTube TV subscriber. How could anyone be upset about this?

It's an antiquated technology that is impacted by things like wind, weather, and geographical location... If you want to record games, you're looking at spending around $150. If you want to be able to pause, rewind, etc., you're looking at $200.

Every option is a better option in 2024. This is just absolutely mind blowing. There's a reason technology moved away from broadcasting from antennas.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

3 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

It's an antiquated technology that is impacted by things like wind, weather, and geographical location... If you want to record games, you're looking at spending around $150. If you want to be able to pause, rewind, etc., you're looking at $200.

Every option is a better option in 2024. This is just absolutely mind blowing. There's a reason technology moved away from broadcasting from antennas.

You can get an antenna dvr for $30. $150 is still dirt cheap when compared subscribing for cable/streaming so how is that even a complaint? That's a very limited market anyways. Antenna has better picture and is actually live tv vs streaming tv. Antenna is the superior option when its offered for FREE, no doubt.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

30 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I cannot believe there are people mad over giving away the games for free. This is the best news ever

I know times have changed, but its kind of funny that Sox fans, some of whom are still bitching and whining that the Sox moved from free over the air to pay tv 40+ years ago are now bitching and moaning that they are going to be available over the air free again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

It's amazing how poor the reading comprehension is in this thread. 

3 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Also, asking your customers to jump through an additional hoop to watch your teams is an absolutely terrible business decision. The fact that people can watch the teams for free OTA with an antenna is great. What's not great is alienating the rest of your customer base that consumes their sports through the internet...

For those that may have missed it.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

22 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

It's amazing how poor the reading comprehension is in this thread. 

For those that may have missed it.

Please provide a link to where it was announced that the Sox won't be available via streaming or other services next season.  It will be, these things take time to negotiate. It has happened on every teams' changes over the years. What hasn't happened with other teams' changes is the ability to watch OTA while the negotiations take place. Usually fans just get blacked out for a while if they don't have the right services.

9 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Please provide a link to where it was announced that the Sox won't be available via streaming or other services next season.  It will be, these things take time to negotiate. It has happened on every teams' changes over the years. What hasn't happened with other teams' changes is the ability to watch OTA while the negotiations take place. Usually fans just get blacked out for a while if they don't have the right services.

We could only be so lucky if nobody can watch the Sox next season. It's a good thing we aren't just talking about the Sox though, huh? The NBA and NHL seasons start in October, and Jerry's sycophant over at CHSN has no answers about anything right now.

Your bolded is also nonsense. The majority of teams that have gone this route, have done so with an OTA broadcast. CHSN isn't doing anything that hasn't already been done a half dozen times already. Especially in the NBA/NHL.

11 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Apologies if this has been discussed but are chuck and Ozzie moving over to chsn?

There really hasn't been much information at all about what broadcast personnel are moving over. 

Bulls and Blackhawks have theirs set:

RELEASE: Chicago Sports Network Announces Pre- and Post-Game Talent | Chicago Blackhawks (nhl.com)

Chicago Blackhawks

The Blackhawks’ in-studio team combines extensive hockey knowledge and broadcast experience, offering fans insightful and engaging analysis of every game.

• Pat Boyle – A veteran Blackhawks broadcaster, Boyle returns to provide fans with dynamic hosting and in-depth hockey analysis. He was a primary anchor on NBC Sports Chicago for 20 years.
  • Tony Granato – A former NHL left winger and coach, Granato brings a wealth of hockey knowledge and experience to the Blackhawks broadcast team. He previously served as head coach of the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche and the 2018 U.S. Olympic men’s hockey team.
  • Caley Chelios – In addition to studio work, Chelios will serve as backup color analyst in the booth when analyst Darren Pang is called to national broadcasting duties. Chelios’ unique background makes her an exciting addition to the CHSN team, offering fresh perspectives on the game both professionally and personally. She brings nearly 10 years of NHL broadcasting experience alongside connections to hockey families across Chicagoland as a daughter of Hockey Hall of Famer and Blackhawks legend Chris Chelios.

Chicago Bulls

The Bulls' pre- and post-game team combines dynamic hosting, expert player analysis and deep reporting experience, offering fans comprehensive and engaging coverage.

• Jason Goff – A respected voice in Chicago sports, Goff is the current host for The Ringer’s “Full Go” podcast and former host of 670 The Score’s midday drive show. Most recently, Goff served as the pre-and post-game host for NBC Sports Chicago.
  • Kendall Gill – A former Bulls player and NBA veteran, Gill is well known for his sharp analysis and player perspective. With years of experience covering the Bulls, the Rich Central High School and University of Illinois graduate will break down game strategy and key performances.
  • K.C. Johnson – An expert in Bulls coverage, Johnson most recently covered the Bulls for NBC Sports Chicago and spent a good part of his career at the Chicago Tribune. His analytical approach and reporting experience bring unmatched credibility to the CHSN lineup.
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

This.  We have seen exactly this stuff happen with all of the big independent networks.  The broadcast billionaires battles the sports billionaires and eventually they figure it out.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  We have seen exactly this stuff happen with all of the big independent networks.  The broadcast billionaires battles the sports billionaires and eventually they figure it out.

You realize we are in uncharted territory here, right? It really doesn't matter what has happened in the past, because the entire business model is changing.

The RSN is dying. What's next for sports broadcasting? - Marketplace

The lack of information about what CHSN is working on for streaming solutions is honestly the biggest red flag to me.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

4 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

You realize we are in uncharted territory here, right? It really doesn't matter what has happened in the past, because the entire business model is changing.

We aren't though.  The only even sort of unique thing here it the OTA option.  Again, the Yankees had this problem with YES.  The Dodgers had this problem with their new network.  The Astros managed to pull a 0.0 rating because they were awful and available on so few networks.  Even the Cubs did this, and then eventually figured it out, having a long fight with Comcast.

https://cubsinsider.com/2024/06/11/marquee-sports-networks-future-looks-bumpy-as-comcast-contract-ends-in-september/

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We aren't though.  The only even sort of unique thing here it the OTA option.  Again, the Yankees had this problem with YES.  The Dodgers had this problem with their new network.  The Astros managed to pull a 0.0 rating because they were awful and available on so few networks.  Even the Cubs did this, and then eventually figured it out, having a long fight with Comcast.

https://cubsinsider.com/2024/06/11/marquee-sports-networks-future-looks-bumpy-as-comcast-contract-ends-in-september/

See my edit above.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That doesn't mean nothing is ever going to get done.  That is a gigantic leap.  THAT is what would actually be unprecedented. 

That article only reinforces my statements here. CHSN has no leverage. Comcast really has no motivation to carry them.

The cable giant will have them by the balls if June and July play out like we saw in May, with the Cubs flailing and fans tuning out early if they opted to watch the game at all.

This applies to all of the Bulls, Blackhawks, and White Sox...

“I wish the clock was turned back to 2011 in that regard,” Kenney explained. “Because the market is in turmoil. You’ve got half the RSNs in bankruptcy, being rejected in their rights agreements. You got wonderful markets like Atlanta – like if you’re a Comcast subscriber in Atlanta, you can’t watch the Braves today. If you’re a Comcast subscriber in Milwaukee, you can’t watch the (Brewers) today. If you’re a Comcast subscriber in Detroit, another great baseball market, you can’t watch the Tigers today. They’ve been dropped.

“Jerry (Reinsdorf) is parting with Comcast here. They’re dropping [the White Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks]. So Comcast has made it pretty clear that they are exiting the sports market. And half of our homes are Comcast homes. And our contract with Comcast ends in September. So trust me, the reason I spend – other than worrying about our batting average with runners in scoring position – the other thing that keeps me up all night is worrying about what’s going to happen with distribution.”

You don’t need me to tell you that none of this looks good for Marquee’s continued carriage across cable TV in the Cubs’ viewing territory. 

But everyone here seems to be confident that the worst owner in sports is going to sort all of this out, and not leave the fans hanging? lmao....

It's certainly not unprecedented, as your article clearly proves.

Edited by Paulie4Pres