The Athletic: Must Read article on Jerry Reinsdorf/White Sox

thedoctor

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nothing means less to me than this quote.  What a hollow, meaningless thing to say ESPECIALLY when your team is about to be the worst in history 

IMG_4617.jpeg

I don’t know, I think we can all relate to loving something so much that we make an absolute disgrace of it while forever tarnishing our name.

• Paper Bag 1

39 minutes ago, thedoctor said:

The White Sox charter an Airbus320, a plane first manufactured in the 1980s. It features only eight first-class seats; the rest is coach. A majority of MLB teams charter bigger 757s, with ample first-class seating for the players and the coaching staff. Even well-known frugal franchises such as the Tampa Bay RaysColorado Rockies and Miami Marlins charter nicer planes. But not the White Sox.

When a player new to Chicago first stepped onboard this season, he said loudly: “C’mon, man, no show plane?” A chorus of players burst into laughter. Last year, a tweet comparing the planes used by MLB teams caused a stir when it was shared among White Sox players while they were onboard.

A team plane doesn’t make errors or poor baseball decisions. But the White Sox’s decision to use a smaller, older plane reflects how they operate. The difference between the White Sox and other clubs is so stark, players who leave Chicago for other teams celebrate their freedom by texting each other “This is the big leagues.”

“They don’t do the little or the big things right,” said a recently departed veteran.

JFC. He really is the real-life Rachel Phelps. 

Edited by Iwritecode
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 2

That Athletic take down article is must reading.

And thoroughly embarrassing.

About their A320 that's arguably the worst in the big leagues...shades of Major League again.

All the damning quotes.

Outsourcing analytics.

Analytics reports conflicting because of multiple sources without a common agreement on which one to use.

Total lack of information going to pitchers hitters and fielders...and little insights on how to utilize it.

What makes me most angry is Kenny Williams coming back just when they got good again to gum everything up with his pride and ego...now the Burger/Eder trades rankles even more understanding the civil war going on behind the scenes.

Also all that stuff about Williams' kid being a complete disaster in the front office.

Finally Hahn and Haber to this day have still not gone on record...both totally out of the sport.

Almost feel sorry for Griffin. Almost. As Pham expressed his frustration with various aspects of operations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Snopek said:

lolololol
 IMG_9465.jpeg

"I wanted baseball taught in the minor leagues a certain way where people understood what they were doing. They understood what's the right thing to do in a certain situation. And nobody ever did it right - until Chris came along. And this I observed, you know, a couple of years ago. I was thrilled."

A reminder of why Getz was promoted.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

21 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I don’t know, I think we can all relate to loving something so much that we make an absolute disgrace of it while forever tarnishing our name.

We call them Kids, Snopek 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That Athletic take down article is must reading.

And thoroughly embarrassing.

About their A320 that's arguably the worst in the big leagues...shades of Major League again.

All the damning quotes.

Outsourcing analytics.

Analytics reports conflicting because of multiple sources without a common agreement on which one to use.

Total lack of information going to pitchers hitters and fielders...and little insights on how to utilize it.

What makes me most angry is Kenny Williams coming back just when they got good again to gum everything up with his pride and ego...now the Burger/Eder trades rankles even more understanding the civil war going on behind the scenes.

Also all that stuff about Williams' kid being a complete disaster in the front office.

Finally Hahn and Haber to this day have still not gone on record...both totally out of the sport.

Almost feel sorry for Griffin. Almost. As Pham expressed his frustration with various aspects of operations.

i want to see A LOT more like this. being the worst team in baseball history deserves a full and complete autopsy. lay it all bare.

• Like 3
  • Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, thedoctor said:

This article is the one I have been waiting for, for years.  It goes section by section of the franchise and just destroys what has happened and what continues to happen.  It even overlays the empty and undetailed platitudes that local writers continue to print about how they are going to get better with how Jerry has historically stopped them from doing these very things in the past.  Glad to see someone finally write this.

• Like 3
  • Paper Bag 1

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Getz sweet talked 

Getz is the guy who lists 100 different skills in a resume, but you know he started listing things like "baseball IQ," "student of the game," and "don't rely on sabermetrics like other baseball executives."

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This article is the one I have been waiting for, for years.  It goes section by section of the franchise and just destroys what has happened and what continues to happen.  It even overlays the empty and undetailed platitudes that local writers continue to print about how they are going to get better with how Jerry has historically stopped them from doing these very things in the past.  Glad to see someone finally write this.

I don’t have access to the Athletic but Mully just said on The Score that 40 people that were with the White Sox were interviewed for the article, including a former player, so it should be a legit story.

I also heard that Jerry provided some quote about how some recently bad teams have turned it around in one season like the Royals, so he is already making up BS about how the Sox could possibly be good next season.  🤣

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I don’t have access to the Athletic but Mully just said on The Score that 40 people that were with the White Sox were interviewed for the article, including a former player, so it should be a legit story.

It is long and full of gory detail.

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

Getz is the guy who lists 100 different skills in a resume, but you know he started listing things like "baseball IQ," "student of the game," and "don't rely on sabermetrics like other baseball executives."

Ofc he had to tack away from Hahn and Haber.

There was a not so subtle dig in there from KW about his ability to scout a future All-Star in person and the intimation that those two aforementioned guys were clearly lacking in that skillset.

57 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nothing means less to me than this quote.  What a hollow, meaningless thing to say ESPECIALLY when your team is about to be the worst in history 

IMG_4617.jpeg

Jerry loves baseball as an abstract idea. It's a version of the game that does not exist, and perhaps never truly did. Holding firmly to this ideal (to him) despite the game evolving and refusing to adapt is how we got to where we are today. The chasm between reality and his fantasy land will only widen until the org is freed from his antiquated notions of what the game is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not shocking, but it all feels so hopeless

It’s been this way for years and years.  The dirt is just finally starting to come out.  The rot starts at the core, which is JR.  Decades of JR employing kiss ass sycophants has all led to this disaster.  Nothing gets better until he’s gone, one way or another.

• Like 1
  • Love 1