The Athletic: Must Read article on Jerry Reinsdorf/White Sox

thedoctor

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

With the timing of this article who is left?  Pretty much all that is around are Getz people, everyone else has been fired.  Maybe if this come out a while ago, you blame the scouts, Marco, etc and then fire them anyway, but honestly who is left? We know Tony isn't going anywhere.  Getz and his hires aren't going anywhere.  They just slotted most of the MiLB and MLB game day staff, so that isn't going to happen.  About all that didn't get hit is the communications people and board members.

Schiffren

Nick Hostetler

Buddy Bell   for old time's sake

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Airbus_A320_V3.php
Seatguru says a standard United plane as 12 first class seats

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Airbus_A319_V1.php
The A319 has a configuration with 8 first class seats.

It looks like the Sox are using the A319.

Anyways, traveling coach sucks if your competition is consistently flying first class and arriving well-rested. They need to fire that Costanza guy and get a real assistant to the traveling secretary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, JoeC said:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Airbus_A320_V3.php
Seatguru says a standard United plane as 12 first class seats

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Airbus_A319_V1.php
The A319 has a configuration with 8 first class seats.

It looks like the Sox are using the A319.

Anyways, traveling coach sucks if your competition is consistently flying first class and arriving well-rested. They need to fire that Costanza guy and get a real assistant to the traveling secretary.

No, this is the White Sox charter:

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL3777

Its an a320.  So when will Ken Rosenthal update this wrong information?  12 seats.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Quin said:

I wonder who the sacrificial lamb will be since they've been just as s%*# post-Grifol, post-Eloy and Moncada's played, what, 12 games?

My guess is Katz. But you know, that won't explain the offense and defense that the Wunderkind has been lauded* for developing. I guess they have to can...Barfield?

They'll can Grady, cancel Sox Fest in favor of another season ticket holder meet & greet, stick their heads back in the sand, and carry on with the status quo.

2 hours ago, Green Line said:

No, this is the White Sox charter:

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL3777

Its an a320.  So when will Ken Rosenthal update this wrong information?  12 seats.

Look when this thread got posted I would have lost money if you had bet me the biggest fight would be over the team plane.  What an odd thing to dig in on.  It's a meaningless detail in the bigger picture of the article. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Quin said:
  • Kenny checked out during the rebuild.
  • Hahn tries to introduce technology and analytics, but the organization old guard is afraid of electricity.
  • Kenny pops in randomly to be like "take this draft pick" or veto trades.
  • Team turns the corner in 2020 and Kenny announces a more active role "like the (Michael Jordan) unretirement. It caught people off guard."
  • KW Jr. and Haber fought a lot and Jr. basically offered dissenting views
  • Hinch never made it to a Chicago interview because JR just handed the keys to TLR, despite people close to Hinch telling him to take the Sox job

Launch the whole thing into the sun, or Nashville. I really don't give a s%*# at this point

• Like 1

Really need to hit him where it hurts.  Need articles with tons of interviews confirming things like: “he’s not a sportsman”, “won’t be remembered as a sportsman”, “probably won’t be remembered as a sports team owner”, “has never had the respect of other owners or reporters”, “never had what it takes to have a competitive nature”, “not a man’s man”, didn’t have the cajones to compete with the big teams and build a preeminent franchise”, “just a middling man only able to sustain a middling franchise”

Just all kinds of cheapy, low blow ego attacks that make him seam sports adjacent instead of part of the sporting community.  

venting done

• Like 2

Don't have access to The Athletic. But I have heard several JR apologists say that he wants to win badly but he wants to do it his way.  2005 is approaching 20 years. Doing things his way hasn't worked too well. You would think you would change something if your team has won three post season games in almost 20 years. When does it occur to someone that things aren't working too well? If it was me, I couldn't sit in the owner's suite and watch this nonsense. The fans won't sit out in the bleachers to watch it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Highland said:

Don't have access to The Athletic. But I have heard several JR apologists say that he wants to win badly but he wants to do it his way.  2005 is approaching 20 years. Doing things his way hasn't worked too well. You would think you would change something if your team has won three post season games in almost 20 years. When does it occur to someone that things aren't working too well? If it was me, I couldn't sit in the owner's suite and watch this nonsense. The fans won't sit out in the bleachers to watch it.

You have to remember, he also surrounds himself with guys like Chris Getz, Rick Hahn, and Tony LaRussa, who tell him that things are great and they love his feedback because they know they can have high paying jobs forever with no accountability, so they become yes men forever, or in one case they’re just completely nuts. If everyone is telling him he’s doing a great job, why would he need to change? And meanwhile, he’s terrified about being told that he’s made a mistake, so he won’t even interview GM candidates outside the organization.

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

These guys should be riding a bus for some AAA club or out of the game. 

Come on now Tex, the players are on the bottom of the food chain.They are hired hands.

They have nothing to do with how the organization has been run for years. They are just the the result of the organizational rot.

42 minutes ago, Highland said:

I’m so sick of “he wants to win, but his way”.  I want to win the UFC Title my way, which involves not getting hit and not working particularly hard.  Both desires are not feasible.  So screw Reinsdorf and his supposed desire to win  and also his apologists that peddle this nonsense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I’m so sick of “he wants to win, but his way”.  I want to win the UFC Title my way, which involves not getting hit and not working particularly hard.  Both desires are not feasible.  So screw Reinsdorf and his supposed desire to win  and also his apologists that peddle this nonsense.

“No one wants to win more than Reinsdorf” is one of those things he loves hearing about himself, which is why the yes men around him repeat it constantly.

• Like 1