The Athletic: Must Read article on Jerry Reinsdorf/White Sox

thedoctor

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

And I'm certain they are nice guys. Whining about the charter jet while giving the fans 120 losses is annoying to me. How about winning some games, get fans back in the ballpark, then upgrade the jet? 

Do you honestly think that at the height of the rebuild they traveled in a better plane and downgraded when they got bad ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do you honestly think that at the height of the rebuild they traveled in a better plane and downgraded when they got bad ?

Guessing it is more likely everyone else moved forward while the Sox stayed put.  Much like the rest of the franchise.

On Baseball America's Hot Sheet, I think they did a phenomenal job discussing just how can a rebuild go the other day. The White Sox have the third worst fWAR for position players in the history of the game, only trailing the 79 Athletics (who had a 20 year old Rickey Henderson to look forward to) and the 76 Braves.

The one thing they do decent on the field is starting pitching, but since they have no hitting coming up, they haven't drafted anyone, no one internationally is coming and they have nothing in the minors so they will have to trade a lot of that pitching for hitters. It's sad to be honest. 

6 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

On Baseball America's Hot Sheet, I think they did a phenomenal job discussing just how can a rebuild go the other day. The White Sox have the third worst fWAR for position players in the history of the game, only trailing the 79 Athletics (who had a 20 year old Rickey Henderson to look forward to) and the 76 Braves.

The one thing they do decent on the field is starting pitching, but since they have no hitting coming up, they haven't drafted anyone, no one internationally is coming and they have nothing in the minors so they will have to trade a lot of that pitching for hitters. It's sad to be honest. 

And even if they do that, and trade some of the pitching for hitting...why should anyone believe they will develop those new players into quality ML players?   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

And even if they do that, and trade some of the pitching for hitting...why should anyone believe they will develop those new players into quality ML players?   

Excellent point. What most people haven't zoned in on yet was the way they coach players. Speaking in generalities, and never specifics.

It explains why someone like Kopech is a whole lot better the moment he changed franchises while hitters like Eloy and Robert got worse as their careers with our team have gone on. 

15 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Excellent point. What most people haven't zoned in on yet was the way they coach players. Speaking in generalities, and never specifics.

It explains why someone like Kopech is a whole lot better the moment he changed franchises while hitters like Eloy and Robert got worse as their careers with our team have gone on. 

And there are so many different examples over the years of guys moving on and those teams getting a better performance out of the player. Obviously some players (Eloy being a good example) seemingly is who he is and really hasn't done anything with Baltimore, but there are so many cases where it's clear the Sox just don't know what to do with a player. 

Look at Jake Diekman last year. Sox acquire him in 2022, he put up a 7.04 ERA in 30 innings with the Sox split over two seasons. He goes to the Rays, and puts up a 2.18 ERA in 45 innings. 

Soxtalk veterans remember the phrase that was used her back in the mid 2000's, "Coop will fix'em" which was sort of a joke, but was a reference to guys like Matt Thornton, a guy who couldn't quite figure it out in Seattle and it seemed to really come together with the Sox. 

When was the last time the Sox signed someone from another organization and really unlocked something, or brought the best out of the player? Truly no one comes to mind, I'm sure I'm missing someone, but really can't think of anyone off the top of my head. But there is a list too long to type of guys who come here and get worse. Just sad

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

And there are so many different examples over the years of guys moving on and those teams getting a better performance out of the player. Obviously some players (Eloy being a good example) seemingly is who he is and really hasn't done anything with Baltimore, but there are so many cases where it's clear the Sox just don't know what to do with a player. 

Look at Jake Diekman last year. Sox acquire him in 2022, he put up a 7.04 ERA in 30 innings with the Sox split over two seasons. He goes to the Rays, and puts up a 2.18 ERA in 45 innings. 

Soxtalk veterans remember the phrase that was used her back in the mid 2000's, "Coop will fix'em" which was sort of a joke, but was a reference to guys like Matt Thornton, a guy who couldn't quite figure it out in Seattle and it seemed to really come together with the Sox. 

When was the last time the Sox signed someone from another organization and really unlocked something, or brought the best out of the player? Truly no one comes to mind, I'm sure I'm missing someone, but really can't think of anyone off the top of my head. But there is a list too long to type of guys who come here and get worse. Just sad

James McCann, who has been not good outside of Chicago.

52 minutes ago, Tony said:

This.  They have a long history of taking highly rated hitters early in the draft and completely failing with them.  Their draft and destruction process has ruined a long list of what were thought to be slam dunk major leaguers

39 minutes ago, Tony said:

Santos last year?

Jesse Scholtens?

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No. And I think they probably have an older plane than most teams. I think they need to have something better than average in every area. I also believe the Airbus is a nice plane with doors that stay on. But that's beside my main point:

I'm just not interested in anyone involved in the worst season in baseball history to open their mouth to say anything but apologize to the fans. 

49 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Sox Optimism:  2025 pitching far exceeds expectations and proves to be a huge building block.

My Optimism: Win a 5 time Powerball rollover and buy Jerry out.

Hey good luck on your power ball 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tony said:

And Esteban Loaiza. It seemed like there were a few more that he worked some magic on. 

Besides presumably generally below average coaching, when the GM  constantly dumpster dives hoping for turnarounds and miracles you'll be eating a lot of garbage as the coach. 

@southsider2k5 mentioned in another thread that we have developed some lefty starters. That could be the player's talent exceed our ability to hold them back. 

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

No. And I think they probably have an older plane than most teams. I think they need to have something better than average in every area. I also believe the Airbus is a nice plane with doors that stay on. But that's beside my main point:

I'm just not interested in anyone involved in the worst season in baseball history to open their mouth to say anything but apologize to the fans. 

Cool, so bench Moncada and be happy about it.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Cool, so bench Moncada and be happy about it.

Or more to my point, I don't want to hear him complain about his playing time, either too much or too little. 

If he wants to apologize, that would be a bonus. 

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

If the standards are "doors stay on hinges," free agents are gonna be banging down the doors.

Lol

It would be just like JR to buy a 737 MAX on a steep discount. Here you go guys, barely used. Who can pass on a great deal? 

So if we are upgrading to attract better free agents, where would ballpark renovations come into play? We're playing in one of the oldest parks. I wonder if our facilities are below average, average, above average? It's a part we never really hear about. 

I assume JR had figured out how to get taxpayers to upgrade the locker rooms to keep up with modern standards.