The Athletic: Must Read article on Jerry Reinsdorf/White Sox

thedoctor

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I just assumed that Helms was involved in the Vizquel stuff with the bat boy because he was Vizquel’s bench coach for Birmingham at that time.  So once the story came out, they fired Helms as well.  But maybe that was just a poor assumption by me.

No one has ever said, and I have yet to see anyone say they asked.

15 minutes ago, Jake said:

Nothing too shocking here, but I'm seeing a theme this season that it seems Getz is not philosophically a company man. He doesn't seem to have been aligned with a "side" of Kenny vs. Hahn, seems to highly prioritize staffing up with outsiders, and seems to want the Sox to operate like the teams reputed to operate well. I hated the process that led to his hire and his baseball judgment is clearly suspect. But if he's the Jerry whisperer, and can hire the right people, that could be our way out of the wilderness.

During both offseasons, Getz has proudly declared they won't spend money.

He's the ultimate company man for JR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Quin said:
  • Kenny checked out during the rebuild.
  • Hahn tries to introduce technology and analytics, but the organization old guard is afraid of electricity.
  • Kenny pops in randomly to be like "take this draft pick" or veto trades.
  • Team turns the corner in 2020 and Kenny announces a more active role "like the (Michael Jordan) unretirement. It caught people off guard."
  • KW Jr. and Haber fought a lot and Jr. basically offered dissenting views
  • Hinch never made it to a Chicago interview because JR just handed the keys to TLR, despite people close to Hinch telling him to take the Sox job

With the timing of the LaRussa hire, I wonder if Kenny felt he had to "save" things? 

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But you’ve seen his trades so far…

Not much there to inspire any hope.

Well I didn't write "Getz is cleary a great judge of baseball talent"

But if you're looking for reason to hope, I think you'd look at Getz's apparent vision for how an organization should be run. It doesn't seem to be the Reinsdorf way. Hopefully that might result in him hiring some smart people who give him the kind of advice that leads to better trades, signings, etc.

51 minutes ago, Tony said:

The bad news: Nothing will change until Jerry dies

The really bad news: None of us know when that is, and even when he goes, it's going to take a while to clean everything up. 

We have another decade of this, at least. 

I really hope the idea that the Sox already have essentially been sold to the Hodson group is true.  I sure don't want to see Michael take over as the Bulls really haven't shown much better.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

During both offseasons, Getz has proudly declared they won't spend money.

He's the ultimate company man for JR.

I suppose it depends what we mean by company man. He's not going to bad-mouth him, that's for sure. It seems to me that Getz's talent is knowing how to get some of the things he wants from Jerry that others were unable to. Whether he can pry money out of him when it counts, we shall see. We have seen some reporting to the effect that he's managed to convince Jerry to trade some MLB payroll for organizational payroll (analytics, coaches, whatever). That's probably a good trade to make right now and something the previous regime was always unable or unwilling to do; how much was GM vs. owner, I don't know, other than we know the owner has long been skeptical of the organizational spending.

1 minute ago, Jake said:

I suppose it depends what we mean by company man. He's not going to bad-mouth him, that's for sure. It seems to me that Getz's talent is knowing how to get some of the things he wants from Jerry that others were unable to. Whether he can pry money out of him when it counts, we shall see. We have seen some reporting to the effect that he's managed to convince Jerry to trade some MLB payroll for organizational payroll (analytics, coaches, whatever). That's probably a good trade to make right now and something the previous regime was always unable or unwilling to do; how much was GM vs. owner, I don't know, other than we know the owner has long been skeptical of the organizational spending.

That he is going to do what Jerry wants first, and then try to do what he can with the rest of it.  You can almost see the Jerry philosophy in who he is trading for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jake said:

Well I didn't write "Getz is cleary a great judge of baseball talent"

But if you're looking for reason to hope, I think you'd look at Getz's apparent vision for how an organization should be run. It doesn't seem to be the Reinsdorf way. Hopefully that might result in him hiring some smart people who give him the kind of advice that leads to better trades, signings, etc.

What is his vision and why is it different?  Because he is hiring a navy seal to talk about culture and leadership?  Hiring a few new names doesn’t change the fact that the minors has absolutely zero infrastructure investment and that hasn’t changed since the last time Hahn told us this all will change 

please explain to me what is so different 

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The article mentions 757s, not 737s

The article mentions and links to a tweet that shows 11 other teams charter 737s or A320s but makes it sound like the Sox uniquely charter the worst plane for their players.  Its misleading.

Edited by Green Line

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Two other thoughts from this article:

- a team should really take a chance on Robert and getting the most out of him

- they are so trading Benintendi with Crochet

If this happens...what would the estimate be for the White Sox payroll?  It would have to be ridiculous compared to the rest of the MLB right?

7 minutes ago, Green Line said:

The article mentions and links to a tweet that shows 11 other teams charter 737s or A320s but makes it sound like the Sox uniquely charter the worst plane for their players.  Its misleading.

But they are?

F8Kr9BPXwAAxEqP?format=png&name=small

Edit: Them + Blue Jays

9 minutes ago, Green Line said:

So the players are too dumb to realize this?  Because they sure seem to think so.

47 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I just assumed that Helms was involved in the Vizquel stuff with the bat boy because he was Vizquel’s bench coach for Birmingham at that time.  So once the story came out, they fired Helms as well.  But maybe that was just a poor assumption by me.

I think the assumption is right, it's just there was a year lag between that story breaking and the firing (as you said, they overlapped in Birmingham). But just weird nobody has got the story. You'd assume though that if it was a lesser reason than him being involved he'd have been a bit vocal about that.

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

What is his vision and why is it different?  Because he is hiring a navy seal to talk about culture and leadership?  Hiring a few new names doesn’t change the fact that the minors has absolutely zero infrastructure investment and that hasn’t changed since the last time Hahn told us this all will change 

please explain to me what is so different 

And again, we have gotten a ton of empty platitudes of how things are changing, and things are going to change, but no one ever seems to ask the follow question as to how.  These guys all know the Sox historic weaknesses and never ask the next question about exactly how are they going to do something different or better here in this specific situation.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He deserves it all and then some.  He turned a blind eye for years.  

It does not say he turned a blind eye. it is saying he's running it exactly how he wants to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And again, we have gotten a ton of empty platitudes of how things are changing, and things are going to change, but no one ever seems to ask the follow question as to how.  These guys all know the Sox historic weaknesses and never ask the next question about exactly how are they going to do something different or better here in this specific situation.

And crucially it points out that Getz has never actually seen an organization that runs well.

• Like 2