The Athletic: Must Read article on Jerry Reinsdorf/White Sox

thedoctor

54 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I really hope the idea that the Sox already have essentially been sold to the Hodson group is true.  I sure don't want to see Michael take over as the Bulls really haven't shown much better.

About 20 years ago, I worked with someone who knew Michael pretty well and was doing some business with him. Back then, his dream was to run the White Sox. He pointed out a few things he would do differently, like build bars in the parking lots. They finally half relented on that and built the Chi Sox Bar and Grill, there was supposed to be another on the first base side. But youre right. The way Michael has run the Bulls may even be worse than JR. They have to sell.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

It does not say he turned a blind eye. it is saying he's running it exactly how he wants to.

He's turned such a blind eye and so hands off that he ignored calls from people to do a real GM search to promote Getz. 

The article basically goes "JR runs the team like a family business and is so hands on that he gifted the GM job to Getz.."

5 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

This just confirms what we already knew. Seems like there is no hope until there is new ownership. 

Again, I wonder if a new owner will keep the team in Chicago. Jerry is doing a great job of alienating the fanbase. 

I guess if the owner is stupid and doesn’t like money they could move out of Chicago so some other place. 

It’s great that this came out, no doubt. But all it does for the actual fans is prove things we already knew or “knew”.

What it really does is prove how worthless our local sports reporters are. No way they were completely unaware of some, or most, of these things, and they didn’t run with anything for fear of the backlash.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

He's turned such a blind eye and so hands off that he ignored calls from people to do a real GM search to promote Getz. 

The article basically goes "JR runs the team like a family business and is so hands on that he gifted the GM job to Getz.."

"But it's ok because Chris is different in some unspecified way."

Simply a stunning story but to be honest I wasn't totally surprised by the incompetence, dysfunction and ineptness. The quote below from the story is the best hope for the franchise:

Reinsdorf has said he would advise his family to keep the Bulls and sell the White Sox upon his death.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

It’s great that this came out, no doubt. But all it does for the actual fans is prove things we already knew or “knew”.

What it really does is prove how worthless our local sports reporters are. No way they were completely unaware of some, or most, of these things, and they didn’t run with anything for fear of the backlash.

This can't be liked enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I can't wait ti see if Jerry references this article when he, allegedly, speaks at the end of the season.

100% its going to be about the planes or something and Green Line is going to be swooning

Anyone with a pulse has known this is 100% on JR. Until he is not owning the team, Sox fans are in baseball hell. Gig is up and baseball universe is in agreement on his ineptness. Worst part is JR thinks he is right. 2nd revelation for people who always said KW was not involved in day to day decisions, which I always called nonsense and blamed Hahn on everything. KW was final say period and was always looking for credit on good deals, yet when things went south Hahn took the heat with KW acting like I’m not the GM.

Edited by Soxfest

43 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

This just confirms what we already knew. Seems like there is no hope until there is new ownership. 

Again, I wonder if a new owner will keep the team in Chicago. Jerry is doing a great job of alienating the fanbase. 

Can't see why they wouldn't.  Just new ownership alone will bring in fans.  We are past success will make people forgive Reinsdorf.

• Like 2

I'm glad this article was written and is out there for non-Sox fans to read.  We, as fans, know how poorly the team is run.  Maybe it was this historically bad season that finally got the truth out there.  That could be good, as changes should be made.  However, as many others have mentioned, until the Sox have a new owner, nothing will change.  My guess is, JR will see the article and laugh.  He doesn't care.  His response will be to lower payroll again, not invest in the team, and keep things the way they are.

• Like 2

The email the White Sox sent out to fans announcing La Russa’s hire included an image of Hinch’s signature. The blunder was later chalked up to a graphics glitch, but it was seen inside and outside the organization as further proof that Reinsdorf had passed over Hahn’s choice for his own.

Was this actually a thing? Holy s%*#...