The Athletic: Must Read article on Jerry Reinsdorf/White Sox

thedoctor

1 hour ago, Highland said:

Don't have access to The Athletic. But I have heard several JR apologists say that he wants to win badly but he wants to do it his way.  2005 is approaching 20 years. Doing things his way hasn't worked too well. You would think you would change something if your team has won three post season games in almost 20 years. When does it occur to someone that things aren't working too well? If it was me, I couldn't sit in the owner's suite and watch this nonsense. The fans won't sit out in the bleachers to watch it.

There are people out there that live their entire lives engulfed in deliberate ignorance or information avoidance. Jerry is selfish enough to fall into this category.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highland said:

Don't have access to The Athletic. But I have heard several JR apologists say that he wants to win badly but he wants to do it his way.  2005 is approaching 20 years. Doing things his way hasn't worked too well. You would think you would change something if your team has won three post season games in almost 20 years. When does it occur to someone that things aren't working too well? If it was me, I couldn't sit in the owner's suite and watch this nonsense. The fans won't sit out in the bleachers to watch it.

If he only wants to win his way, he doesn’t actually want to win that badly.

That airplane information is all I need to know. A good organization would have a traveling secretary or asst. GM type call around and find out who is flying what. And a good organization would make sure the Sox travel was as good as any other team, not some old crap plane. I know the guys get paid a lot but I keep hearing how valuable the Sox franchise is. Cut corners on comfortable flights is b.s. of the highest degree. I so hope they break the modern day record for most losses, They deserve it. Cheapskates.

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Come on now Tex, the players are on the bottom of the food chain.They are hired hands.

They have nothing to do with how the organization has been run for years. They are just the the result of the organizational rot.

And I'm certain they are nice guys. Whining about the charter jet while giving the fans 120 losses is annoying to me. How about winning some games, get fans back in the ballpark, then upgrade the jet? 

25 minutes ago, Texsox said:

And I'm certain they are nice guys. Whining about the charter jet while giving the fans 120 losses is annoying to me. How about winning some games, get fans back in the ballpark, then upgrade the jet? 

But part of the problem is that most of the players are at best AAAA level because the club is being run like a AAA club, the plane business is just one example of this. Players talk to other players, do you really think any big name free agents would want to join the current Mickey Mouse organisation even if they were prepared to pay them what other clubs do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I object to the worst owner and worst team in history whining about anything.

I have no problem with upgrading the plane to be competitive in the free agent market. Some team had to have the worst plane and I would prefer it not be the Sox.

JR should latch onto this. They are playing in an antiquated stadium, the sixth oldest in baseball. Time to upgrade. Point out how out of date the facility is for the players. Get a few players to complain to the media. If the difference between the Airbus and Boeing private charters is that important imagine what a new stadium (where they spend even more time in) would be. 

7 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They’re trying to bring it back next year I thought. Solely for the 20 year reunion of the World Series win most likely.

Yes, it’s the last weekend in January. It will be the beginning of the year long celebrating 2005. It is being billed as reimagined, so you can forget asking any difficult questions.

• Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

19 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I object to the worst owner and worst team in history whining about anything.

I have no problem with upgrading the plane to be competitive in the free agent market. Some team had to have the worst plane and I would prefer it not be the Sox.

JR should latch onto this. They are playing in an antiquated stadium, the sixth oldest in baseball. Time to upgrade. Point out how out of date the facility is for the players. Get a few players to complain to the media. If the difference between the Airbus and Boeing private charters is that important imagine what a new stadium (where they spend even more time in) would be. 

Exactly the difference between chartering an Airbus and a Boeing will be less than the wages offered to FAs in the dumpster that the Sox have been signing recently.

9 hours ago, Snopek said:

If he only wants to win his way, he doesn’t actually want to win that badly.

JR wanted no part of signing Ohtani. So, Dodger fans get to watch the guy smash records, and we get to see the wrong record set. JR refuses to see that he is not doing anything to hold the line on salaries. No, he doesn't want to win that badly.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I read on X somewhere yesterday that Jerry called for a meeting with the FO after the article came out.

So his answer to an attack on his organization being overly insular and behind the times is to consult with the insular, behind-the-times organization.

21 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Haven’t they done that and canceled the last few years 

I don't they tried to bring it back. I know they announced (I'm pretty sure, can find proof when I have some more time to look) it was coming back but I'm pretty sure the only reason they are is because of the 20 year anniversary. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don't they tried to bring it back. I know they announced (I'm pretty sure, can find proof when I have some more time to look) it was coming back but I'm pretty sure the only reason they are is because of the 20 year anniversary. 

"Ozzie pretends to be interested in FansFest 2025."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

I read on X somewhere yesterday that Jerry called for a meeting with the FO after the article came out.

Can the insiders confirm this?

Sounds like a Jerry thing to try to find a way to cover his ass.

Didn't hear that but I did hear there's already been some shakeup and it's probably safe to say more is on the way.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Didn't hear that but I did hear there's already been some shakeup and it's probably safe to say more is on the way.

Given our history with this ownership, presumably this is an effort to find and fire the leakers rather than to improve the identified issues. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2