Rick Hahn Apology Thread

reiks12

After Ken Rosenthal confirmed all of our suspicions, it seems like Hahn had little to nothing to do with how the team was put together. He tried to bring modernity to this woeful franchise and wasn't able to convince Williams and Jerry and was outcasted by everyone in the org because of it.

Its time Soxtalk apologizes, as a former Hahn hater I will start:

I am sorry Rick.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

After Ken Rosenthal confirmed all of our suspicions, it seems like Hahn had little to nothing to do with how the team was put together. He tried to bring modernity to this woeful franchise and wasn't able to convince Williams and Jerry and was outcasted by everyone in the org because of it.

I am sorry Rick.

The only thing I’m sorry about is that Jerry Reinsdorf still owns the White Sox and has done a great job of just about destroying the franchise, right now IMHO the franchise is on life support.

• Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

1 minute ago, Highland said:

I have no grudge against Hahn, but I don't feel the need the apologize for anything. He was given enough freedom to do things. He didn't. Right now he looks better by comparison. The franchise is heading south.

And if he didn't like things, he could have left.  He waited around to take a promotion when he was a huge star candidate around baseball.  He turned down interviews with St Louis and The Mets IIRC at that point in time.  He also could have quit at any time after and looked elsewhere.  This isn't a Scientologist 1 billion year contract we are talking about here.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I am sorry Rick.

THEN F***ING RESIGN IN 2014. OR 2019. OR 2021. 

LITERALLY EVERYONE ON EARTH WOULD HAVE UNDERSTOOD WHY HE RESIGNED IF HE HAD DONE SO IN DECEMBER OF 2020, AND HE'D PROBABLY HAVE ANOTHER GM JOB RIGHT NOW. INSTEAD HE'S A LAUGHINGSTOCK WHO WILL NEVER WORK AS A GM AGAIN.

• Like 3

Long ago there was an article the he was highly paid as an Ass't GM.   Reinsdorf didn't want to lose him to a GM job. Unfortunately you can't predict injury.  We like to blame the players or conditioning but yet those teams that are better still have injuries. 

No serious prospects were given up at the trade deadline.  My theory is farms are more valuable in filling in for injured players.  The Dodgers go through their share of injuries and still remain on top. Unfortunately that becomes a wall in the post season.

When I think of Moncada he is just a victim of bad health.  Some of these injuries will keep you from a good player.  How many can remember the player Greg Walker was going to be until he got hepatitis.  

But most of the draft picks have been in the WTF category.  They need to hit on a Witt Jr type player.  But Reinsdorf won't pay him and Getz will trade him to make Birmingham better.  I'm not sure Vargas could make it in Birmingham.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And if he didn't like things, he could have left.  He waited around to take a promotion when he was a huge star candidate around baseball.  He turned down interviews with St Louis and The Mets IIRC at that point in time.  He also could have quit at any time after and looked elsewhere.  This isn't a Scientologist 1 billion year contract we are talking about here.

Yeah he liked the job security. He could have left at anytime and especially when LaRussa was hired.

3 minutes ago, Highland said:

I have no grudge against Hahn, but I don't feel the need the apologize for anything. He was given enough freedom to do things. He didn't. Right now he looks better by comparison. The franchise is heading south.

Rick Hahn had some of the most enjoyable White Sox players I've ever seen handed to him and he demolished it more than once because he was too cowardly or too dumb to say or do anything that would offend his boss. He should still be captured, tarred, feathered, and paraded through the streets of the south side as punishment for his years here.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'll never know unless I walked in those shoes.  Ng is the only one I know of that walked away from a Reinsdorf type situation.   What's odd is former execs don't seem to get hired.

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

I'll never know unless I walked in those shoes.  Ng is the only one I know of that walked away from a Reinsdorf type situation.   What's odd is former execs don't seem to get hired.

If Rick Hahn wants to work in baseball, someone will hire him soon enough.  Baseball is too incestual in it's hiring practices for someone not to take a chance on him at some point.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Rick Hahn had some of the most enjoyable White Sox players I've ever seen handed to him and he demolished it more than once because he was too cowardly or too dumb to say or do anything that would offend his boss. He should still be captured, tarred, feathered, and paraded through the streets of the south side as punishment for his years here.

To me it seems like he had a boss that didn't listen.  That's why JR hired Getz. He didn't want to hear the faults interviewing others.

4 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Long ago there was an article the he was highly paid as an Ass't GM.   Reinsdorf didn't want to lose him to a GM job. Unfortunately you can't predict injury.  We like to blame the players or conditioning but yet those teams that are better still have injuries. 

And there's no chance that a lack of modern training techniques and a "rub some dirt on that elbow it'll be fine" philosophy could be things that influence those injuries? 

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

To me it seems like he had a boss that didn't listen.  That's why JR hired Getz. He didn't want to hear the faults interviewing others.

Then f***ing resign. 

You can already afford front row seats for the Bears-Texans game. Get out of there with your reputation in tact.

"They have people there with no business being in major league baseball" said an executive with another team.

Shame that the GM has no influence on...baseball staff. How can we blame him for the people working for him, the GM's decisions can't be Rick Hahn's fault.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Then f***ing resign. 

You can already afford front row seats for the Bears-Texans game. Get out of there with your reputation in tact.

Let me know when you walk in those shoes. I don't think it's as easy as we think.

3 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Let me know when you walk in those shoes. I don't think it's as easy as we think.

Then he doesn't deserve anything resembling an apology and I get my 10 years of earned vitriol.

If the White Sox organization can't get their act together and this franchise moves, Rick Hahn will be tied with Chris Getz as the number 2 reason why it happens.

4 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

That's fine. He doesn't deserve an apology for choosing to stay in a bad situation though. Although, one might call it a good situation since he is collecting a paycheck in an environment with no pressure.

I figured this was coming eventually. Hahn did a lot of things we should all like - recognizing the need to rebuild and acquiring high end prospects to kick start it being at the top. He also was unable to build any sort of minor league pipeline to help fill in for the players he acquired. The team's medical staff took a quality nosedive and no one could stay healthy. He apparently could not affect change in areas he wanted to - scouting and analytics in particular. He allowed Marco Paddy to phone it in and our LatAm scouting was atrocious.

Overall, he had 10 years to build a contender and the end result was a lucky 60 game 2020 with an undeserved playoff appearance (and a complete collapse against Cleveland and in the last two games against Oakland), a good 2021 first half, a mediocre 2022, a disaster 2023, and the seeds for the dumpster fire of 2024. Almost every player he drafted or acquired was either injured all year or was absolutely terrible, to the point where replacing most of them with 0 WAR AAA filler would have been an improvement.

There's no "apology" needed here. It's good he's gone.

• Like 1