Rick Hahn Apology Thread

reiks12

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

Or there’s the possibility that Hahn was a source for this article and wanted to come across as innocent of the franchise collapse.

The article did say they spoke to 40 or so people, many of whom requested anonymity. Hahn would have a lot to say about the org now that he's no longer working in baseball.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

C'mon man.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nah.  At some point you know what you sign up for and you co-sign to it.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The only thing I’m sorry about is that Jerry Reinsdorf still owns the White Sox and has done a great job of just about destroying the franchise, right now IMHO the franchise is on life support.

57 minutes ago, Highland said:

I have no grudge against Hahn, but I don't feel the need the apologize for anything. He was given enough freedom to do things. He didn't. Right now he looks better by comparison. The franchise is heading south.

53 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Rick Hahn had some of the most enjoyable White Sox players I've ever seen handed to him and he demolished it more than once because he was too cowardly or too dumb to say or do anything that would offend his boss. He should still be captured, tarred, feathered, and paraded through the streets of the south side as punishment for his years here.

APOLOGIZE

Fans have no need to apologize for criticizing him for the team's failings during his tenure. Hahn was employed far longer than any other GM with his level of success would have been. He was hindered by his bosses but he is still complicit in their failures. I have no ill will for him, but zero sympathy as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn and Haber clearly had nothing to do with that story.  Plenty of other sources could have corroborated what was mentioned in there.

I don’t have it in front of me but I don’t remember seeing it stated that Haber refused to comment as they did with Hahn. Did they?

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Or there’s the possibility that Hahn was a source for this article and wanted to come across as innocent of the franchise collapse.

37 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

My money is on Haber.  He's such a weasel.  

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t have it in front of me but I don’t remember seeing it stated that Haber refused to comment as they did with Hahn. Did they?

The article states "Hahn declined to comment on this story."

The article also states "Haber did not respond to interview requests."

In most cases, when stating "He declined to comment on this story" that implies he was not a part of the story, but was reached out to. In theory you could walk the line and still use him for background, but that starts to get into murky territory when it comes to journalistic integrity. 

• Like 2

I'm still annoyed we never got the Rick Hahn soxfest after everything collapsed. That one reggies appearance where he was so smug after being asked, correctly, about how shortsighted their selling off intl money was instead of having a real program, was typical.

We were right, the whole time, he was wrong. 

Even if you said "hahn tried and failed to modernize the front office" i would point to you his success at major league budget with RF, bullpen and 2b.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm still annoyed we never got the Rick Hahn soxfest after everything collapsed. That one reggies appearance where he was so smug after being asked, correctly, about how shortsighted their selling off intl money was instead of having a real program, was typical.

We were right, the whole time, he was wrong. 

Even if you said "hahn tried and failed to modernize the front office" i would point to you his success at major league budget with RF, bullpen and 2b.

Sure, they weren't going to compete for most of the high priced free agents, but they had money to spend, and spent it like complete idiots. They never got a RF or 2B, but traded for/signed a parade of guys on the margins and failed with each one. They kept pouring money into the bullpen and it never managed to be anywhere close to a top 5 unit. They already had a lock down closer with Hendricks, and used Madrigal, who was (theoretically) still a trade chip to acquire ANOTHER closer in Kimbrel, who was a disaster. They completely misread the market on Harper and Machado, and focused on the wrong one. They blew the Kahnle/Robertson/Frazier trade.

• Like 1

I really don't think the article absolves Hahn of blame. But it sure does make his record as GM a bit murky given how KW and LaRussa came into the picture right when things were turning around. 

3 hours ago, almagest said:

Sure, they weren't going to compete for most of the high priced free agents, but they had money to spend, and spent it like complete idiots. They never got a RF or 2B, but traded for/signed a parade of guys on the margins and failed with each one. They kept pouring money into the bullpen and it never managed to be anywhere close to a top 5 unit. They already had a lock down closer with Hendricks, and used Madrigal, who was (theoretically) still a trade chip to acquire ANOTHER closer in Kimbrel, who was a disaster. They completely misread the market on Harper and Machado, and focused on the wrong one. They blew the Kahnle/Robertson/Frazier trade.

You could not have said this any better

• Thanks 1