Sox fans have seen enough...

Lip Man 1

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

Would you say "expecting to lose" is a toxic environment? 

While I don't value it over most other stats, it seems like winning is a cultural thing and players coming from winning programs bring "luck". 

I know, let’s bring in Martin Maldonado, that dudes a winner.

8 minutes ago, tray said:

Sign two or three players that hit and the team improves a lot.  Open the pocketbook and sign a few big names like Santander.

If there is ANY move that is classic white Sox, it’s signing a DH in their 30s.

• TLR 1

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I know, let’s bring in Martin Maldonado, that dudes a winner.

Obviously other things are more important as I mentioned. But as you noted, it's either luck or toxic environment. I lean towards toxic environment. The likelihood of someone bringing a toxic environment vibe with them seems more likely from someone coming from a losing environment. Again, plenty of other factors to consider. But keep bringing in everyone from managers to players from losing organizations doesn't seem to be working. 

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

Obviously other things are more important as I mentioned. But as you noted, it's either luck or toxic environment. I lean towards toxic environment. The likelihood of someone bringing a toxic environment vibe with them seems more likely from someone coming from a losing environment. Again, plenty of other factors to consider. But keep bringing in everyone from managers to players from losing organizations doesn't seem to be working. 

Even the quintessential winning orgs like LA and ATL...like mixing acids and bases, nearly every player bottoms out somehow.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Oh the environment is totally toxic, but bringing in Vetz was Getz’s plan last offseason. He spent the whole offseason trying to find leadership*, to find guys who “play the right way”, and look where it got the roster.

Leadership and playing the right way can’t simply be imported. The guys who they bring in to be leaders are probably the ones who say “cmon man” when they step in an unusually shitty plane or however else they are mistreated. There’s a reason why so many veteran leaders keep calling out this organization on the record when they leave. You can’t just import white guys from other teams and think that now your organization is fixed.

+leadership includes experience at punching women and children but managing to avoid suspension as that’s a must have skill.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh yes that’s also a part of it, but it’s not all of it. Plenty of terrible teams don’t do this. The As last year played 1 game above their expected record and they were the worst team, if they played 7 games below they’d have won like 42 games. The Royals had the 2nd worst record last year and they played 8 games below they’d expected.

In 22 the Nats were the worst team and they also played 1 game below expectations. The team far below that year was the Rangers, who were 8 below, added Bochy as manager, and won a title. 

The White Sox may be unusually toxic, but more so than the As last year? 

I tend to believe being above or below your Pythagorean percent is generally (not completely) random.  Just like the W/L% in extra inning games is pretty random.

10 hours ago, tray said:

Sign two or three players that hit and the team improves a lot.  Open the pocketbook and sign a few big names like Santander.

If you’re a big leaguer with talent, why on earth would you sign with this dysfunctional organization? Players with talent want to win and this team ain’t winning anything for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

If you’re a big leaguer with talent, why on earth would you sign with this dysfunctional organization? Players with talent want to win and this team ain’t winning anything for the foreseeable future. 

What team will pay bigger money to a mostly DH in the last years of their career?

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

The most ironic moment of the past few years, Liam came to the Sox, in part, to play for TLR. So there are some outliers. 

Why would others? Other organizations frown on domestic violence. You haven't played in the US for a few seasons. Any stats from this century prove you aren't very good. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

The most ironic moment of the past few years, Liam came to the Sox, in part, to play for TLR. So there are some outliers. 

Why would others? Other organizations frown on domestic violence. You haven't played in the US for a few seasons. Any stats from this century prove you aren't very good. 

Lynn as well…and, once upon a time, the Cuban Connection convinced Robert to sign with the Sox over StL.

Edited by caulfield12

I'd sign Santander in a second if JR would pay. A couple of years hitting 40+ HR would lift the team up from where it has been.

Sox don't have any player or any prospect that can hit 40.  Sox need a couple of hitters, preferably two or three  who can hit 30+ HR.

18 minutes ago, tray said:

I'd sign Santander in a second if JR would pay. A couple of years hitting 40+ HR would lift the team up from where it has been.

Sox don't have any player or any prospect that can hit 40.  Sox need a couple of hitters, preferably two or three  who can hit 30+ HR.

Nice of you to think that a player like Santander wouldn't just crater like everyone else who signs here.

Also, nice of you to think that someone like Santander would be interested in coming here for any amount of money.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

It’s highly likely next year will be as bad.  I’d say worse but that’s near impossible.  A couple of their better hitters will be gone.  Maybe one of their better pitchers.

I think it'll be worse. They have no good everyday players except maybe Robert and the catcher might be acceptable. Sox will be out of the race in April again. How they get buried by the likes of KC, Minnie, Detroit and Cleveland is puzzling. 

4 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Yeah I think 40 would be the floor even if brought in the AAA team.

I'd say the highest possible win total is 50. Maybe they'll win 45 just cause of law of averages.

48 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Nice of you to think that a player like Santander wouldn't just crater like everyone else who signs here.

Also, nice of you to think that someone like Santander would be interested in coming here for any amount of money.

Santander has been playing for the Orioles since 2017, worked his way up. He will be 30 next year. It’s possible he could have a qualifying offer attached to him that would limit his market if he declines it.

His total career earnings are $25 million.

if you are putting what, $20 million, $25 million a year for several years on the table? He will take the best money he can get and he will be happy enough about that.

6 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Yeah I think 40 would be the floor even if brought in the AAA team.

You look at the history of baseball and think no one has ever been able to take a baseball team and make it THIS bad, even when trying to lose... that should tell you something. 

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

Anyone remember Wally Backman?  He got hired then fired on his first big league contract.

3 hours ago, tray said:

JR isn’t paying.  So, nothing to really worry about.   It’s riff raff roster time