Grifol speaks...

Lip Man 1

To DVS of the Sun-Times:

"But when asked if the Sox can turn things around as is, there was a long pause.

“I’ll answer it this way,’' he said. “Pedro Grifol is not the White Sox’ problem anymore. And the White Sox are not Pedro Grifol’s problem anymore.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/09/20/as-white-sox-close-in-on-62-mets-record-for-futility-ex-manager-pedro-grifol-hurts-for-former-players

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

To DVS of the Sun-Times:

"But when asked if the Sox can turn things around as is, there was a long pause.

“I’ll answer it this way,’' he said. “Pedro Grifol is not the White Sox’ problem anymore. And the White Sox are not Pedro Grifol’s problem anymore.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/09/20/as-white-sox-close-in-on-62-mets-record-for-futility-ex-manager-pedro-grifol-hurts-for-former-players

That’s just word salad, not at all answering the question in any shape matter or form.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

To DVS of the Sun-Times:

I don't believe anyone thought he was *the* problem. He was *a* problem and easy enough to remove. 

• Like 1

I ALMOST feel bad for Pedro. Don’t get me wrong, he was obviously vastly under qualified for the job, but what an insanely bad situation to walk into. His agent for sure should have talked him out of this job. He’s going to have a stink on him forever.

Which makes me extremely nervous for this off-season…who in their right mind wants to walk into a 4 year (that’s probably generous) rebuild? Any young/1st time coach would be crazy to take the job which means it’s almost definitely going to be a retread/place holder at manager. 

• Like 1

Keep hoping and dreaming you buster.  Better have saved up that retirement money…

“People are laughing that they’re going to break a record, come on, these are human beings,” said Grifol, who hopes to get another job in a dugout or front office. “I hope they don’t break it.”

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Keep hoping and dreaming you buster.  Better have saved up that retirement money…

“People are laughing that they’re going to break a record, come on, these are human beings,” said Grifol, who hopes to get another job in a dugout or front office. “I hope they don’t break it.”

His use of “they” is funny too. Buddy you are just as much a part of it. 

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I ALMOST feel bad for Pedro. Don’t get me wrong, he was obviously vastly under qualified for the job, but what an insanely bad situation to walk into. His agent for sure should have talked him out of this job. He’s going to have a stink on him forever.

Which makes me extremely nervous for this off-season…who in their right mind wants to walk into a 4 year (that’s probably generous) rebuild? Any young/1st time coach would be crazy to take the job which means it’s almost definitely going to be a retread/place holder at manager. 

I think about AJ Hinch here, he managed a bad Diamondbacks team for 2009-2010, was fired, went to be a scouting director for the Padres for several years, and got back into managing when the right opportunity came around and he found a team where he meshed.

The next manager probably won’t last a full contract, but for an assistant coach it’s likely a good boost in money and experience that you can leverage later in your career.

I'm starting to think they should just keep Sizemore for a couple years. they're not gonna be good for a long time, and the coach isn't gonna mean jack s%*#.  all I care about is if they play hard for whoever it is, and dude understands the nuances of coaching.  bringing in some new guy who's probably never had a pro coaching job either is just moving s%*# around for the sake of change

from all that we're hearing, everyone actually respects the hell out of Sizemore.  imagine if they actually win 55-60 games next year, the story writes itself.  former all star, comes out of retirement for a minimum wage internship with the Diamondbacks, manages to land the Sox interim job, and gets the team 25+ more wins in 2025 in his first full year.

just give Sizemore the tools that he needs, and let it play out for a few years.  if they're as bad next year or worse, then at that point you gotta fire Chris Getz

20 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

I'm starting to think they should just keep Sizemore for a couple years. they're not gonna be good for a long time, and the coach isn't gonna mean jack s%*#.  all I care about is if they play hard for whoever it is, and dude understands the nuances of coaching.  bringing in some new guy who's probably never had a pro coaching job either is just moving s%*# around for the sake of change

from all that we're hearing, everyone actually respects the hell out of Sizemore.  imagine if they actually win 55-60 games next year, the story writes itself.  former all star, comes out of retirement for a minimum wage internship with the Diamondbacks, manages to land the Sox interim job, and gets the team 25+ more wins in 2025 in his first full year.

just give Sizemore the tools that he needs, and let it play out for a few years.  if they're as bad next year or worse, then at that point you gotta fire Chris Getz

That's not gonna happen.  Getz is probably his new son. 

Edited by kitekrazy

2 hours ago, joejoesox said:

No offense to Sizemore, but he is simply not ready. He could be the next Joe Torre and still today he is not ready.

Grady Sizemore was out of baseball for 6 years to raise his kids. This is an honorable and respectable choice. He took a minimum salary internship in 2023 to get back into the game. He has missed all the changes in training and scouting and coaching and data analysis over more than half a decade. He has missed a massive increase in how hard pitchers are throwing every pitch and how hitters have responded. He has maybe been a participant in 1 spring training since Robin Ventura.

He is not ready to run a spring training and a regular season. In 2 years he might be, but he needs experience. Go be a bench coach or 3b coach for a couple years and we can talk, show me that he’s fully caught back up on the modern game and how things have changed since he played. This year can be a valuable experience on that road, but he isn’t ready. 

The team that might think about him is a team stuck in the 2000s who refuse to admit that the old strategies don’t work. This is unfortunately the White Sox to a letter. But I really hope that he is smart enough to understand that he isn’t ready - Domestic Violence Enthusiast Chris Getz wasn’t smart enough to understand this and the loss record is the result.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

No offense to Sizemore, but he is simply not ready. He could be the next Joe Torre and still today he is not ready.

Grady Sizemore was out of baseball for 6 years to raise his kids. This is an honorable and respectable choice. He took a minimum salary internship in 2023 to get back into the game. He has missed all the changes in training and scouting and coaching and data analysis over more than half a decade. He has missed a massive increase in how hard pitchers are throwing every pitch and how hitters have responded. He has maybe been a participant in 1 spring training since Robin Ventura.

He is not ready to run a spring training and a regular season. In 2 years he might be, but he needs experience. Go be a bench coach or 3b coach for a couple years and we can talk, show me that he’s fully caught back up on the modern game and how things have changed since he played. This year can be a valuable experience on that road, but he isn’t ready. 

The team that might think about him is a team stuck in the 2000s who refuse to admit that the old strategies don’t work. This is unfortunately the White Sox to a letter. But I really hope that he is smart enough to understand that he isn’t ready - Domestic Violence Enthusiast Chris Getz wasn’t smart enough to understand this and the loss record is the result.

Sizemore isn’t ready but neither is this team.  When Schumacher gives them the adios, Sizemore will be the fallback candidate that the Sox will pretend they were going to hire the entire time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sizemore isn’t ready but neither is this team.  When Schumacher gives them the adios, Sizemore will be the fallback candidate that the Sox will pretend they were going to hire the entire time.

Your probably not wrong, but Sizemore should seriously say no.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I would feel bad for him if he didn’t talk so much s%*# when he came in last year.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

100% I knew this would happen with Sizemore (not that I’m alone of course).  You can see the fans shifting from “That will never happen” to “Here’s why it is good if it happens”.

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Eh, this part doesn't bother me too much.  I would rather someone come in with some confidence than acting scared and defeated.

. . . like they should be 😂 

I also expect him to talk up the players on the roster, speak of the future, etc.. We know it's fake, but it's good practice. Way better than "hey this roster sucks and if we win 45 I should be manager of the year". 

The manager we want won't take the job, and we won't like anyone that will take the job. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

. . . like they should be 😂 

I also expect him to talk up the players on the roster, speak of the future, etc.. We know it's fake, but it's good practice. Way better than "hey this roster sucks and if we win 45 I should be manager of the year". 

The manager we want won't take the job, and we won't like anyone that will take the job. 

If they are a former player we will forget what a great player they were.

21 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Yup. Still don't care what this dope has to say.

I care in the sense that he managed the White Sox, and so I might read his random musings over, I dunno, any other random person. 
Frankly I like what he has to say and the way he speaks…he does seem like a nice, genuine guy. However, this article seems to suggest that Pedro should have another job in the MLB. No way, he brings nothing to the table. He should coach youth sports, perhaps. He seems like he’d be a good role model. Professional baseball players don’t need a role model though. Or maybe some do, but they ought to grow up.